Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ChiSox59

September Call Ups - Who gets the Nod?

Recommended Posts

With September less than a week away, major league teams will start to pad their active rosters with prospects.  Curious to see who you think will get the call.  With Charlotte likely going to the playoffs, that may have an affect on some of the fringey guys. 

Here are the options:

On the 40-Man:

Pitchers: Covey, Frare, Medeiros, Ruiz, and Vieira

Bats: Collins, Zavala, Basabe, Cordell, Palka and Tilson

 

Not on the 40-Man:

Pitchers: Bernando Flores, Kyle Kubat, Spencer Adams, Matt Foster,  Juan Minaya, Hunter Schryver, Zach Thompson, Connor Walsh

Bats: Robert, Madrigal, Mercedes, Mendick, AJ Reed

 

On the IL (but likely to return this season):

Fulmer, Banuelos (no idea if he'll return this season), 

 

My guess are Ruiz, Covey, Zavala and Cordell return right away.  Fulmer returns when he gets off DL.  

Vieria, Collins, and Palka join when the Knights lose.  

 

 

Edited by ChiSox59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea on when (due to AAA playoffs as you mentioned), but I'll guess Frare, Ruiz, Vieira, Fulmer, Banuelos, Collins, Cordell, Mercedes (to DH), Zavala. Castillo would be let go so that Collins and Zavala can get reps behind McCann. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be in the minority, but I kind of hope they give Palka another shot this September. I'd rather see him in RF than Jay and he is much better DH option against RHP than Goins/Skole/Castillo.  

He's not a long term option, but he's on the 40 man so why the heck not.  Especially if they're gonna keep Collins in AAA until the Knights are eliminated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I may be in the minority, but I kind of hope they give Palka another shot this September. I'd rather see him in RF than Jay and he is much better DH option against RHP than Goins/Skole/Castillo.  

He's not a long term option, but he's on the 40 man so why the heck not.  Especially if they're gonna keep Collins in AAA until the Knights are eliminated. 

I kinda feel the same too. I was done with him but there's no one else. It can be his final chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He brutalized himself.  He sucks.

Yep. Dude went 1-45 in his time in the majors this year and plays bad d. Definitely brutal.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He brutalized himself.  He sucks.

I still think Palka would have been able to outproduce Alonso, Reed and Skole. Not that’s very difficult to do. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, I'd rather just leave the majority of those names in Charlotte until they finish their playoffs. Better for most of those players to get competitive AB in Charlotte, than to repeat the awesome Zach Collins Experience of riding pine.

 

I guess I also don't see the purpose of bringing anyone up while Ricky writes Jay's name into the lineup everyday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Meh, I'd rather just leave the majority of those names in Charlotte until they finish their playoffs. Better for most of those players to get competitive AB in Charlotte, than to repeat the awesome Zach Collins Experience of riding pine.

 

I guess I also don't see the purpose of bringing anyone up while Ricky writes Jay's name into the lineup everyday. 

Yah, there is really zero reason what so ever for guys like Jay, Castillo, Santiago, Detwiler, Osich, and Skole (shit, even add Yolmer to the list) to make another appearance with the Sox.  I do agree that things may be treated a bit difference with Charlotte's playoff series starting next Wednesday.  

But really, now is the time to be giving some of these fringey guys shots instead of guys we know with 100% certainty will not be on the 40 man in 2 months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I still think Palka would have been able to outproduce Alonso, Reed and Skole. Not that’s very difficult to do. 🤣

I mean....he had his chance and produced exponentially worse than all three. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

With September less than a week away, major league teams will start to pad their active rosters with prospects.  Curious to see who you think will get the call.  With Charlotte likely going to the playoffs, that may have an affect on some of the fringey guys. 

Here are the options:

On the 40-Man:

Pitchers: Covey, Frare, Medeiros, Ruiz, and Vieira

Bats: Collins, Zavala, Basabe, Cordell, Palka and Tilson

 

Not on the 40-Man:

Pitchers: Spencer Adams, Matt Foster, Kyle Kubat, Juan Minaya, Hunter Schryver, Zach Thompson, Connor Walsh

Bats: Robert, Madrigal, Mercedes, Mendick, AJ Reed

 

On the IL (but likely to return this season):

Fulmer, Banuelos (no idea if he'll return this season), 

 

My guess are Ruiz, Covey, Zavala and Cordell return right away.  Fulmer returns when he gets off DL.  

Vieria, Collins, and Palka join when the Knights lose.  

 

 

September rosters are limited to 28 spots. Collins better be one of them. Mercedes and Mendick should be 2 of them as well but adding 3 position players and them not on the 40 man...doesnt look good for them.

The pitchers are largely uninteresting. I dont even care who gets called up among that group. I guess I'd go Fulmer if hes healthy.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

September rosters are limited to 28 spots. Collins better be one of them. Mercedes and Mendick should be 2 of them as well but adding 3 position players and them not on the 40 man...doesnt look good for them.

The pitchers are largely uninteresting. I dont even care who gets called up among that group. I guess I'd go Fulmer if hes healthy.

That’s not until next year

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mqr said:

That’s not until next year

Beat me to it.

It's going to be interesting next year when guys who are about to be free agents a month later are released at the end of August/early September to make room for more call-ups.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yep. Dude went 1-45 in his time in the majors this year and plays bad d. Definitely brutal.

I don't mind giving him a shot at left handed DH but I don't want him anywhere near RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't mind giving him a shot at left handed DH but I don't want him anywhere near RF.

I should have expected this out of Palka this year, but I was sort of hoping he could be one of those diamonds in the rough this spring. The Sox are way overdue for one of those guys. They haven't had one since Buehrle. 

Imagine how much better this lineup would look with Palka putting up .255/.330/.825

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I should have expected this out of Palka this year, but I was sort of hoping he could be one of those diamonds in the rough this spring. The Sox are way overdue for one of those guys. They haven't had one since Buehrle. 

Quintana was without a doubt a diamond in the rough type  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Quintana was without a doubt a diamond in the rough type  

Yeah he was. I keep forgetting about him because he came up and did well immediately. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another guy who should get a look this month is Bernando Flores, IMO.  He needs to be added to the 40 man in December.  Is already 24 years old.  Throws left handed.  Give him some starts.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×