September Call Ups - Who gets the Nod?

ChiSox59

With September less than a week away, major league teams will start to pad their active rosters with prospects.  Curious to see who you think will get the call.  With Charlotte likely going to the playoffs, that may have an affect on some of the fringey guys. 

Here are the options:

On the 40-Man:

Pitchers: Covey, Frare, Medeiros, Ruiz, and Vieira

Bats: Collins, Zavala, Basabe, Cordell, Palka and Tilson

Not on the 40-Man:

Pitchers: Bernando Flores, Kyle Kubat, Spencer Adams, Matt Foster,  Juan Minaya, Hunter Schryver, Zach Thompson, Connor Walsh

Bats: Robert, Madrigal, Mercedes, Mendick, AJ Reed

On the IL (but likely to return this season):

Fulmer, Banuelos (no idea if he'll return this season), 

My guess are Ruiz, Covey, Zavala and Cordell return right away.  Fulmer returns when he gets off DL.  

Vieria, Collins, and Palka join when the Knights lose.  

Edited by ChiSox59

I may be in the minority, but I kind of hope they give Palka another shot this September. I'd rather see him in RF than Jay and he is much better DH option against RHP than Goins/Skole/Castillo.  

He's not a long term option, but he's on the 40 man so why the heck not.  Especially if they're gonna keep Collins in AAA until the Knights are eliminated. 

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I may be in the minority, but I kind of hope they give Palka another shot this September. I'd rather see him in RF than Jay and he is much better DH option against RHP than Goins/Skole/Castillo.  

He's not a long term option, but he's on the 40 man so why the heck not.  Especially if they're gonna keep Collins in AAA until the Knights are eliminated. 

I kinda feel the same too. I was done with him but there's no one else. It can be his final chance.

Meh, I'd rather just leave the majority of those names in Charlotte until they finish their playoffs. Better for most of those players to get competitive AB in Charlotte, than to repeat the awesome Zach Collins Experience of riding pine.

I guess I also don't see the purpose of bringing anyone up while Ricky writes Jay's name into the lineup everyday. 

10 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Meh, I'd rather just leave the majority of those names in Charlotte until they finish their playoffs. Better for most of those players to get competitive AB in Charlotte, than to repeat the awesome Zach Collins Experience of riding pine.

I guess I also don't see the purpose of bringing anyone up while Ricky writes Jay's name into the lineup everyday. 

Yah, there is really zero reason what so ever for guys like Jay, Castillo, Santiago, Detwiler, Osich, and Skole (shit, even add Yolmer to the list) to make another appearance with the Sox.  I do agree that things may be treated a bit difference with Charlotte's playoff series starting next Wednesday.  

But really, now is the time to be giving some of these fringey guys shots instead of guys we know with 100% certainty will not be on the 40 man in 2 months.  

15 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I still think Palka would have been able to outproduce Alonso, Reed and Skole. Not that’s very difficult to do. 🤣

I mean....he had his chance and produced exponentially worse than all three. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

With September less than a week away, major league teams will start to pad their active rosters with prospects.  Curious to see who you think will get the call.  With Charlotte likely going to the playoffs, that may have an affect on some of the fringey guys. 

Here are the options:

On the 40-Man:

Pitchers: Covey, Frare, Medeiros, Ruiz, and Vieira

Bats: Collins, Zavala, Basabe, Cordell, Palka and Tilson

Not on the 40-Man:

Pitchers: Spencer Adams, Matt Foster, Kyle Kubat, Juan Minaya, Hunter Schryver, Zach Thompson, Connor Walsh

Bats: Robert, Madrigal, Mercedes, Mendick, AJ Reed

On the IL (but likely to return this season):

Fulmer, Banuelos (no idea if he'll return this season), 

My guess are Ruiz, Covey, Zavala and Cordell return right away.  Fulmer returns when he gets off DL.  

Vieria, Collins, and Palka join when the Knights lose.  

September rosters are limited to 28 spots. Collins better be one of them. Mercedes and Mendick should be 2 of them as well but adding 3 position players and them not on the 40 man...doesnt look good for them.

The pitchers are largely uninteresting. I dont even care who gets called up among that group. I guess I'd go Fulmer if hes healthy.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

September rosters are limited to 28 spots. Collins better be one of them. Mercedes and Mendick should be 2 of them as well but adding 3 position players and them not on the 40 man...doesnt look good for them.

The pitchers are largely uninteresting. I dont even care who gets called up among that group. I guess I'd go Fulmer if hes healthy.

That’s not until next year

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't mind giving him a shot at left handed DH but I don't want him anywhere near RF.

I should have expected this out of Palka this year, but I was sort of hoping he could be one of those diamonds in the rough this spring. The Sox are way overdue for one of those guys. They haven't had one since Buehrle. 

Imagine how much better this lineup would look with Palka putting up .255/.330/.825

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I should have expected this out of Palka this year, but I was sort of hoping he could be one of those diamonds in the rough this spring. The Sox are way overdue for one of those guys. They haven't had one since Buehrle. 

Quintana was without a doubt a diamond in the rough type  

• Like 2