September Call Ups - Who gets the Nod?

ChiSox59

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But are you really expecting them to actually release anyone ?

I do, you can't tell me 31 or 32 year old Matt Skole should be getting AB's over Yermin or Collins.  He's really bad and baseball old.  AAA season is over so prioritizing that over seeing what you have for MLB talent can't be an excuse anymore.  Teams drop guys around this time every year.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I just counted 13 with others that can go today for all care

I just counted 13 as well and that was without even thinking. You could probably add another 6 or 7 to that list as well and that is guys like Leury and Yolmer who are good utility and bench players but will probably end up being redundant once the farm starts to produce.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

As bad as Mercedes may be it would be no worse than Zavala, Skole, Wellington or Palka this year.   There is an annual parade of bad that lingers every year.  What do they lose by bringing him up? 

Would Mercedes be a minor league FA if Sox don't add him to 40 man?  If not, by adding him to the 40 man, they lose that spot, and perhaps feel they have better chance of retaining him by not adding him to the 40 man and no one taking him in the rule 5, as opposed to adding to 40 man, DFA/outright off 40 man after this season and someone else claiming him, but not having to carry him on 25 man roster.

Or, more likely, the Sox just don't think much at all of Mercedes.  

I too don't see the harm in giving him a shot, but I'd be a little surprised if we hear his name later today.  Same goes for Mendick.  

By my count these guys all have very little chance to on next year's roster and are currently on the 40 man and providing little or no value on the MLB club:

Detwiler, Osich, Tilson, Palka, Jay, Banuelos, Castillo, Santiago and Skole. Those guys could easily all be DFA'd/released today.

Guys like Covey, Medeiros, Engel, Cordell and Vieira are at best a coin flip to remain on the 40 man through the offseason, but probably aren't candidiates to get DFA'd today.

Then you have guys like Nova, Yolmer, and Goins who are providing some value on the current 25 man and the Sox most certainly would not remove them from the roster this September.  But all three guys are probably unlikely to be on the White Sox next season.  

That is 17 guys on the current 40 man.  Not too hard to make some space for guys like Mercedes and Mendick who deserve a shot, but I don't expect to see either guys name called today.  

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Love how they’ll hold off on announcements as late as possible to avoid extra hours of getting ripped on social media for not calling up Robert.

The Sox always hold off on announcements until as late as possible.  This isn't out of the norm.  

10 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

Wonder what Robert will need to "work on" to not be called up.. they had an excuse with the possible playoff run.. but now that's over. 

A lot of season ticket renewals may hinge on Robert. If he came up and excelled, that would work out fine. If he doesn't get called up, the thought he will be in Chicago next year may get some who are on the fence to renew. He comes up and struggles, which is entirely possible and probably expected all things considered, they could cost themselves some renewels. The guy is a year removed from struggling in A ball. Fall League, A, AA, AAA...they would be justified giving him a break.