September Call Ups - Who gets the Nod?

ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Mendick and Collins should play every day.  Yolmer is what he is and McCann can use a break.

I know both will probably get 15 total at bats the rest of the way. 

There was no chance Nick or Louis were coming up nor should there have been.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to Castillo/Skole/Palka getting reps over Collins and Yolmer playing over Mendick

23 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Mendick and Collins should play every day.  Yolmer is what he is and McCann can use a break.

I know both will probably get 15 total at bats the rest of the way. 

There was no chance Nick or Louis were coming up nor should there have been.

Mendick already out of the lineup for Yolmer and Collins batting 9th. I really want to know what Zach did to Ricky. I have no doubt the front office is pissed at how hes handled Collins but dont want to intervene with their own manager. 

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Mendick already out of the lineup for Yolmer and Collins batting 9th. I really want to know what Zach did to Ricky. I have no doubt the front office is pissed at how hes handled Collins but dont want to intervene with their own manager. 

It is extremely weird how Matt Skole, AJ Reed, and other AAAA players with worse stats than Collins come up and instantly bat cleanup, but Collins bats 9th. But there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to Renteria's decision making anyway.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Do you really believe this? The FO will dictate how the young players were and are handled. The FO told Ricky how and when to play Collins the last time he was up.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It is extremely weird how Matt Skole, AJ Reed, and other AAAA players with worse stats than Collins come up and instantly bat cleanup, but Collins bats 9th. But there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to Renteria's decision making anyway.

And the sabermetricians say lineup protection isn't a thing. Hmmm. 

39 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Surprised no Ruiz. A little surprised to see Palka back. Not at all surprised to see no Mercedes. 

Why are you not surprised? The only reason to not be surprised is because the front office is so stupid that we shouldn't be surprised they would call up Palka again instead of Yermin.

Edited by JuliusO1274

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Surprised no Ruiz. A little surprised to see Palka back. Not at all surprised to see no Mercedes. 

Considering Palka is back, him and Mercedes are a bit redundant as strictly DH types. Mercedes would've needed another 40 man roster spot to open and so far  no one has been given their unconditional release, which I expected but others did not when I asked 15 hrs. ago.

Considering how poor the Sox Dh's have performed this year including Palka,Mercedes should be given a shot at it.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Considering Palka is back, him and Mercedes are a bit redundant as strictly DH types. Mercedes would've needed another 40 man roster spot to open and so far  no one has been given their unconditional release, which I expected but others did not when I asked 15 hrs. ago.

Considering how poor the Sox Dh's have performed this year including Palka,Mercedes should be given a shot at it.

Maybe you give him a shot based on his AAA performance, but no conclusions could be made for what anyone does this month. 15 games are vs. teams far worse than the current White Sox. It's basically extended AAA.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

While, considering Palka is in RF tonight and Collins at DH, calling up Mercedes would be taking at bats away from Collins.  Really only situation I would see Mercedes getting at bats is the DH against LHP.  I too would have given him a chance, but I understand why they didn't.  Chances are pretty low he is taken in the rule 5 draft, so the Sox should be able to keep him stashed in AAA next season, and 40 man spots are valuable.  

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Maybe you give him a shot based on his AAA performance, but no conclusions could be made for what anyone does this month. 15 games are vs. teams far worse than the current White Sox. It's basically extended AAA.

They will still face better pitching than at the AAA level. Maybe not much but still better. Plus they will have a month to see MLB umpires and their strike zones. 

I know you don't think baseball is different in the MLB vs. AAA and the minors but it is.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

While, considering Palka is in RF tonight and Collins at DH, calling up Mercedes would be taking at bats away from Collins.  Really only situation I would see Mercedes getting at bats is the DH against LHP.  I too would have given him a chance, but I understand why they didn't.  Chances are pretty low he is taken in the rule 5 draft, so the Sox should be able to keep him stashed in AAA next season, and 40 man spots are valuable.  

I would think an AL botton feeder team like Baltimore or Detroit would take him in the rule 5 and see if he can be a DH. No reason the Sox shouldn't give him a shot. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

I would think an AL botton feeder team like Baltimore or Detroit would take him in the rule 5 and see if he can be a DH. No reason the Sox shouldn't give him a shot. 

Yah, I don't really get it either.  I don't see the harm, other than the Sox probably don't want to carry 5 "catchers" on their 40 man next season and figured exposing Mercedes to waivers in a month or two would certainly result in a claim and losing him.