September Call Ups - Who gets the Nod?

ChiSox59

If a guy is questionable getting on the White Sox roster, I really doubt anyone will eventually be too upset if he is claimed by another team. Year after year we hear about these guys who the White Sox can't keep and how they will regret it. It rarely happens. We were going to rue the day Jason Coats went to struggle with Tampa.

Edited by Dick Allen

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I don't really get it either.  I don't see the harm, other than the Sox probably don't want to carry 5 "catchers" on their 40 man next season and figured exposing Mercedes to waivers in a month or two would certainly result in a claim and losing him.  

How long before the Sox have to make a decision on who to expose to the Rule 5 ? Who would be the 5 catchers on the 40 ? Zavala, Collins, McCann, Mercedes so who am I forgetting ? Beef will be gone next year.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How long before the Sox have to make a decision on who to expose to the Rule 5 ? Who would be the 5 catchers on the 40 ? Zavala, Collins, McCann, Mercedes so who am I forgetting ? Beef will be gone next year.

Those 4 plus a FA.  The Sox are not going to carry 2 catchers if one of them is Collins, essentially relegating him to backup duty.  Whether that catcher is Grandal (yes, please) or a more of true backup - not sure.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Those 4 plus a FA.  The Sox are not going to carry 2 catchers if one of them is Collins, essentially relegating him to backup duty.  Whether that catcher is Grandal (yes, please) or a more of true backup - not sure.  

Sox supposedly offered Grandal a multiyear deal last year along with a few other teams but he rejected them so round and round we go.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sox supposedly offered Grandal a multiyear deal last year along with a few other teams but he rejected them so round and round we go.

Yah, he wanted to play for a contender.  Sox will look a little closer to that next season.  Still won't be easy to land him.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, he wanted to play for a contender.  Sox will look a little closer to that next season.  Still won't be easy to land him.  

I thought Grandall held out for a higher annual salary. I remember him talking about taking a shorter deal for more money per so he can help future players make what they are worth

Just now, Orlando said:

I thought Grandall held out for a higher annual salary. I remember him talking about taking a shorter deal for more money per so he can help future players make what they are worth

There was rumors he turned down offers around 3/$60 early in the offseason.  Mets were specifically mentioned.  He ended up getting burned.  

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Makes sense not to call up Mercedes since Collins is up. Between regular at bats between C, 1B and DH with McCann, Collins and Abreu, there is no room for regular at bats for him.

Sure there is against LHP.  Instead we will see Castillo and McCann both playing.

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Makes sense not to call up Mercedes since Collins is up. Between regular at bats between C, 1B and DH with McCann, Collins and Abreu, there is no room for regular at bats for him.

Not that it really matters, but what I would've liked to see is:

-Castillo DFA

-Collins and Mercedes up

-Abreu 1B 80% of the time, DH 20% of the time

-McCann C 65% of the time, bench 35% of the time (roughly the same as now) 

-Collins C 35% of the time, 1B 20% of the time, DH 20% of the time, bench 25% of the time

-Mercedes DH 60% of the time, PH for Collins (DH/1B) vs LHP late in games

This is a long-winded way of saying that there was indeed a way to get Abreu daily PAs, McCann the same amount of reps that he normally gets, Collins appearances 75% of the time, and Mercedes enough ABs where he isn't just sitting around

Edited by Jose Abreu

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

After hearing more Hahn speak today, it’s refreshing to see someone with a voice not hold water for Hahn and the Sox

Good.  There needs to be more of this.  If they flop this offseason or go bargain shopping there are no more excuses.  The full core outside of Vaughn will be up next year.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Not that it really matters, but what I would've liked to see is:

-Castillo DFA

-Collins and Mercedes up

-Abreu 1B 80% of the time, DH 20% of the time

-McCann C 65% of the time, bench 35% of the time (roughly the same as now) 

-Collins C 35% of the time, 1B 20% of the time, DH 20% of the time, bench 25% of the time

-Mercedes DH 60% of the time, PH for Collins (DH/1B) vs LHP late in games

This is a long-winded way of saying that there was indeed a way to get Abreu daily PAs, McCann the same amount of reps that he normally gets, Collins appearances 75% of the time, and Mercedes enough ABs where he isn't just sitting around

Castillo can hit the road and make room for Merced. Hasta la vista baby. Imagine the wasted money this year. Boras should send Hahn a participation trophy with real chromium. 

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He came from Baltimore originally if I'm not mistaken. I would think they already have a decent idea on what he offers.

He's got over 2000 AB's in the minors . Spent 3 years in the DSL from 2011-2013 only hit 2 HR's. 2014 looks like he played in the Domican Winter League, United League and Pecos League.

2015 finally got into A ball with Baltimore, 2016 at 23 yrs old. A and A+ in Baltimore's system.

2017 A+ and AA with Baltimore. Looks like he always played Dominican Winter ball those last 2 years to get more AB's.

2018 Sox got him and stuck him A+ probably because Collins and Zavala were ahead of him at AA. He was now 25 and still in A+.

2019 AA and AA with the Sox and he tore it up at both levels combining for a

.317 .388 .581 .968 slash line and doing even better in AAA than AA mainly because of juiced ball in AAA and better hitting park than Birmingham. His defense probably held him back more than anything but in those over 2000 MiLB AB's he has a lifetime .302 batting average and the power has really come on with the Sox.