September Call Ups - Who gets the Nod?

ChiSox59

2 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

bla bla bla Yolmer keeps starting, bla bla bla

Yolmer has been pretty good lately.  So good that he just may have saved his Sox career. I don't particularly want Yolmer around next season, but he's on pace for 1.5 fWAR.  I kinda of doubt he gets non-tendered.  Hopefully they can get him to agree to just a slight raise on his 2019 salary, because I feel like that money can be better allocated.    

Mendick should be the every day 2B for the rest of the season. See what he can do. We know what Sanchez can do and it seems like Sanchez is a good clubhouse guy that can spot start, pinch run, pinch hit, here and there.

Edited by Chisox378

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

The Yermin thing baffles me......I watched Goins end that game last night and thought....this is really the best option in the organization that could have 40 men on the roster currently?

I honestly think the Sox believe they have a better chance to retain Yermin in the organization by not adding him to the 40 man.  No one is going to take a 27 year old 270 pound DH in the Rule 5 draft.  And if they do, there is a decent chance the Sox get him back anyway.  40 man spots are valuable, and while there is a colossal fuckton of garbage on the 40 man currently, a lot needs to be added this offseason, and I expect several major league signings.  The Sox are also very likely to add a catcher on a major league deal to backup McCann (hopefully Grandal to create the 3-headed monster), so Collins can DH and play 1B regularly.  They aren't going to carry 5 catchers on the 40 man, even though I use catcher loosely with Yermin.  

All that said, I definitely would have called him up.  He earned it.  

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I honestly think the Sox believe they have a better chance to retain Yermin in the organization by not adding him to the 40 man.  No one is going to take a 27 year old 270 pound DH in the Rule 5 draft.  And if they do, there is a decent chance the Sox get him back anyway.  40 man spots are valuable, and while there is a colossal fuckton of garbage on the 40 man currently, a lot needs to be added this offseason, and I expect several major league signings.  The Sox are also very likely to add a catcher on a major league deal to backup McCann (hopefully Grandal to create the 3-headed monster), so Collins can DH and play 1B regularly.  They aren't going to carry 5 catchers on the 40 man, even though I use catcher loosely with Yermin.  

All that said, I definitely would have called him up.  He earned it.  

Yeah he likely won't get drafted, but you gotta think there are enough rebuilding teams that one might give him a shot as a DH or maybe even try him at 1B. Having said that, it seems his only shot for real MLB at bats here would have been over the last couple of months.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:24 AM, Chisox378 said:

Mendick should be the every day 2B for the rest of the season. See what he can do. We know what Sanchez can do and it seems like Sanchez is a good clubhouse guy that can spot start, pinch run, pinch hit, here and there.

Welcome back.