Passan: Moncada, Giolito are among players to watch for extensions this winter

Jose Abreu

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27483166/passan-playing-20-questions-2019-20-mlb-hot-stove-season

Let's start with Cubs shortstop Javier Baez. There has been momentum in the past to keep Baez, 26, in a Cubs uniform well into his 30s. With Baez two years from free agency, it's the sort of deal that makes a lot of sense.

With around $110 million committed to payroll next season, no massive arbitration raises and some likely non-tenders, the Phillies have every reason to pursue a long-term deal with Realmuto. He is 28. He is a leader. He is a well-above-average hitter and even better defensive catcher. He deserves a nine-figure extension.

It may be time for the Yankees to do what has seemed inevitable for years: lock up outfielder Aaron Judge. He is arbitration eligible for the first time this season and in line for a massive raise. Working in the team's favor: Judge is not due to hit free agency until after the 2022 season, when he'd be 30.

The Yankees also could pursue an extension with Gleyber Torres, who, if Gregorius leaves, is their shortstop heir. Torres, 22, won't hit free agency for another five seasons, so an extension could be pre-emptive -- or could approach $100 million for him while saving tens of millions for the team. Also in that camp: Red Sox third baseman Rafael Devers, who is Torres' age but due to reach free agency just after his 27th birthday.

Other names to keep an eye on: Trea Turner, Yoan Moncada, Willson Contreras, Lucas Giolito, Shane Bieber, Mike Soroka, Luis Castillo, Matthew Boyd, Jack Flaherty, Dakota Hudson and Brandon Woodruff, among many others.

I know he just mentioned them at the end, but I was not expecting him to at all. What would these extensions look like? 

Seems a no brainer. Sox scouts decide both are stars or stars in the making. You sign them for as long as you can now otherwise you could lose them. Obviously there's a risk. I feel dumb typing that because there's a risk to signing free agents who have been around a while.

If your scouts think they are stars ... you sign them now for as many years as you can.

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I would be so damn happy if this happened. Maybe Acuña Jr's extension could be the baseline for Moncada and Blake Snell's for Giolito?

Watch what the Yankees give Aaron Judge. That will set the market for a Moncada extension. Judge is about to hit Arbitration and that is a better comparable for Moncada. Snell is an excellent comparable for Giolito. Whomever said that even getting 2 extra years would be great is correct. If they got 2 extra years Moncada would hit  FA at 30 and Giolito at 31. Still young enough to get another huge contract. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I would be so damn happy if this happened. Maybe Acuña Jr's extension could be the baseline for Moncada and Blake Snell's for Giolito?

Good call on Snell from a timing standpoint. It would be cool for it to be a fusion of the Snell deal and the Sale/Quintana deals, meaning similar price but a team option or two attached at the end. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Good call on Snell from a timing standpoint. It would be cool for it to be a fusion of the Snell deal and the Sale/Quintana deals, meaning similar price but a team option or two attached at the end. 

I assume any of these deals would have team options.  Its Hahn's M-O. 

If Hahn can pull off extensions for both Giolito and Moncada i'd jump for joy. It would also make waiting on Robert, Madrigal and Kopech worth it. Maybe Hahn has already had discussions with their agents and that is why Robert and Madrigal aren't being pushed faster and Kopech is starting 2020 in the minors. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I assume any of these deals would have team options.  Its Hahn's M-O. 

Part of me thinks calling Robert and Madrigal up in September and then all these guys gelling together reeeeeeaaaaallly helps guys like Gio and Moncada sign friendlier extensions. 

Its definitely a non-zero possibility that helps.  

23 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Part of me thinks calling Robert and Madrigal up in September and then all these guys gelling together reeeeeeaaaaallly helps guys like Gio and Moncada sign friendlier extensions. 

Its definitely a non-zero possibility that helps.  

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Robert and Madrigal getting called up in September will make absolutely zero impact on Moncada and Giolito potentially signing extensions this offseason.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Watch what the Yankees give Aaron Judge. That will set the market for a Moncada extension. Judge is about to hit Arbitration and that is a better comparable for Moncada. Snell is an excellent comparable for Giolito. Whomever said that even getting 2 extra years would be great is correct. If they got 2 extra years Moncada would hit  FA at 30 and Giolito at 31. Still young enough to get another huge contract. 

Aaron Judge has a significantly better track record than Moncada. I don't see how they are comparable at all.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I can tell you with 100% certainty that Robert and Madrigal getting called up in September will make absolutely zero impact on Moncada and Giolito potentially signing extensions this offseason.  

No you cant😉.  

Look I get what you’re saying.  Everyone does.  I’m just saying negotiation and getting what you want in a deal depends on the other party being in a certain state of mind.  

Screw a man’s wife and you’re probably not getting what you want, even with lopsided terms.   The opposite is true as well.  We want the opposite here.  

I’m asking you to think outside the box.  We all get the “money talks” aspect of negotiating.  It’s the smart stuff we need to consider as well.  Like signing their brothers and cousins to contracts 😂

19 minutes ago, daggins said:

This is going to go exactly like last time, isn't it? The Sox have a young, talented core of cost controlled players, and they fill out the roster with Hector Santiago and Jon Jay.

A. They literally have double, maybe even triple, the young talented players. 

B. Jon Jay and Hector Santiago are apropos of absolutely nothing. 

Edited by mqr

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Did Moncada receive a 30+ million bonus upon signing with Boston? Not saying an extension can't be worked out, but he may be someone who wants to bet on himself a little more, while still having that money to fall back on. 

Yup, Giolito was also born wealthy so there are definitely challenges. That isn't to say it's impossible, but I don't see how it wouldn't cause each of their numbers to rise. 

Edited by mqr

2 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

THE MONEY WILL BE SPENT!!!!!!!!!!!

Took a while to finally see this post lol. 

At least if they are extended a couple of posters can stop with the "but we only have them for four more years after this! the window is now!" posts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Did Moncada receive a 30+ million bonus upon signing with Boston? Not saying an extension can't be worked out, but he may be someone who wants to bet on himself a little more, while still having that money to fall back on. 

Moncada having the big signing bonus and Gio having family wealth have been mentioned as reasons they won't be amenable to extensions.  Sale and Trout have wealth from prior contracts and yet signed with their respective teams.  I think there is a good chance Gio and Yoan like this team and want to be part of what is being put together here.  There are more zero's on their paychecks but liking where you live and the people you work with still count with most people.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Moncada having the big signing bonus and Gio having family wealth have been mentioned as reasons they won't be amenable to extensions.  Sale and Trout have wealth from prior contracts and yet signed with their respective teams.  I think there is a good chance Gio and Yoan like this team and want to be part of what is being put together here.  There are more zero's on their paychecks but liking where you live and the people you work with still count with most people.

Both of those guys got massive contracts that are more or less their market value. The Sox are looking for savings by extending pre-arb guys, if they can't get any they will and should wait out the 6 years. 

Sometimes family also plays a role too. Moncada just had a second child and Giolito is a newlywed (may want kids himself down the road). I can see it more on Gio's end since he's already had TJS in his career and pitchers shelf life is much more of a gamble. Not saying either of these guys will do it, but I can see it as consideration. 

9 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Sometimes family also plays a role too. Moncada just had a second child and Giolito is a newlywed (may want kids himself down the road). I can see it more on Gio's end since he's already had TJS in his career and pitchers shelf life is much more of a gamble. Not saying either of these guys will do it, but I can see it as consideration. 

The point is they already need not worry about that the way a Tim Anderson or Eloy Jimenez might.