Passan: Moncada, Giolito are among players to watch for extensions this winter

Jose Abreu

3 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

THE MONEY WILL BE SPENT!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Hatchetman said:

Exactly my first thought. There's your free agent signings.

Yep.  In a vacuum, extensions for both guys would be amazing.  But somehow they will be used as excuses for not signing any top free agent talent this offseason.  I can already hear it coming out of Hahn’s mouth...

”We were close with a few of our free agent targets but knew that we would not be able to lock up our own internal talent long-term if we matched what they ultimately received from other teams.

Our goal is still the same as it always has been — consistent and long-term winning.  We felt if we dug too deep for our free agent targets, our end goal could be compromised.”

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27483166/passan-playing-20-questions-2019-20-mlb-hot-stove-season

I know he just mentioned them at the end, but I was not expecting him to at all. What would these extensions look like? 

Giolito will hopefully get an extension around 5/$50M (similar to Snell).  That price range is pretty well established after the Nola & Servino deals.

It’s harder to peg a deal for Moncada.  I could see a framework being similar to Bregman’s extension, so around 6/$95M (given Yoan isn’t arb eligible yet) but I could see him being reluctant to give up more than one free agent year.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

14 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yep.  In a vacuum, extensions for both guys would be amazing.  But somehow they will be used as excuses for not signing any top free agent talent this offseason.  I can already hear it coming out of Hahn’s mouth...

”We were close with a few of our free agent targets but knew that we would not be able to lock up our own internal talent long-term if we matched what they ultimately received from other teams.

Our goal is still the same as it always has been — consistent and long-term winning.  We felt if we dug too deep for our free agent targets, our end goal could be compromised.”

They offered Manny 250 last offseason with the intent of keeping some guys also. No excuses. The guys they sign this year should all be on 1 to 4 year deals so that when we really have to start paying up, we have those guys off the books. But we definitely will have to start drafting much better. 

14 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Don't forget the "We hope to win multiple championships with this 40 man roster." at the end.

15 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Don't you ever get tired of repeating the same nonsense over and over again?

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Don't forget the "We hope to win multiple championships with this 40 man roster." at the end.

A GM exuding confidence about his team? What a dumb SOB!

How dare he display a sense of optimism and hope instead of the doom and gloom some Sox fans live and breathe everyday!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Don't you ever get tired of repeating the same nonsense over and over again?

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He has proven time and time again that the answer to that question is unequivocally, no. 

Sox history has shown that it isn’t nonsense.  All we have to do is rewind the clock to last offseason.  Whiffing on top free agents is a consistent theme.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Can’t dispute my comment with a “yawn.”

I (and many others) have gone over this with you a countless times.  When your points are disputed, you just ignore them and don't respond and go back to repeating the same whiny shit.  Its exhausting.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Sox history has shown that it isn’t nonsense.  All we have to do is rewind the clock to last offseason.  Whiffing on top free agents is a consistent theme.

The point is, you continue to wreck threads by posting the same shit time and time again.   We all understand that you have zero belief that the front office will do anything this offseason or any offseason going forward.  At this point you are baiting threads to start shit.

simply put, Stop.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, mqr said:

The Nats are allegedly offering Soto 180 million dollars in an extension. Not totally sure what that means for Moncada, but I imagine it makes things quite a bit more difficult. 

Depends on the years. He's only 20. This could be for 8-10 years for all we know. 

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

The Nats are allegedly offering Soto 180 million dollars in an extension. Not totally sure what that means for Moncada, but I imagine it makes things quite a bit more difficult. 

I imagine that would be buying out quite a few FA years. 10 years 180 wouldn't really be a similar extension - you'd have to guarantee more for the additional free agent years. If its 6-7 years and 180 then yes, that would change the extension expectations throughout baseball by quite a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Can’t dispute my comment with a “yawn.”

What is their to dispute. You've made your point 1000 times. We all understand your position and opinion. We all understand your expectations. What is the point in parroting them in every single thread.

Here's exactly why it's over the top obnoxious at this point:

You will never admit that the front office is changing. Despite rebuilding, increased spending on analytics, increased modernization of the organization and other new avenues they have entered. When the Sox offer 250+ million to someone, and finish second, you cite that as a fact that the White Sox arent serious about spending and investing in this core. You are basically implying that the offer was fake and they knew it wouldn't be accepted; so you're stating that the White Sox put in all those hours knowing it wouldn't get done just so they could say they tried. Zero big businesses operate that way, period. They showed a willingness to spend A LOT of money on a premium talent - something they hadn't shown in their franchises history. You cite that failure as proof they haven't changed despite it being proof of the contrary opinion. 

I already see this offseason and your responses

Sox go out and spend 200-300 million this off season on 2-3 players but they don't sign Cole. You'll use that as proof of your assumption that this team can't get the mega deals done. They could sign the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best FA's on the market and you'll be parroting how they once again missed out on the top free agent. This is why there's no point in giving your posts any credence, because they're not tied to logic at all and are based on an abnormal and irrational amount of hate and anger towards a baseball team you're supposedly a fan of. Its outrageous. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, mqr said:

Moncada has 4 years remaining before FA, 3 arb years that should on their own bring him to just under $50 million conservatively if he's an all start. To get to $170 million from there we're talking about 4 years on top of that, so for Moncada that money would justify an 8 to 9 year deal.

Would people offer Moncada that money and years right now? If we're talking well into the 9 figures then I'd be convinced we have something that he might sign. The trick with Moncada is he has basically no need to give up 1 year of free agency for security like Eloy did because of the big signing bonus, but if the team is willing to buy out his entire career based on this season he might go along with that. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Moncada has 4 years remaining before FA, 3 arb years that should on their own bring him to just under $50 million conservatively if he's an all start. To get to $170 million from there we're talking about 4 years on top of that, so for Moncada that money would justify an 8 to 9 year deal.

Would people offer Moncada that money and years right now? If we're talking well into the 9 figures then I'd be convinced we have something that he might sign. The trick with Moncada is he has basically no need to give up 1 year of free agency for security like Eloy did because of the big signing bonus, but if the team is willing to buy out his entire career based on this season he might go along with that. 

120 million is a lot more than 30 million. Moncada seems to be a "fun" spender too. Money is all relative and 90 million does mean less to someone with 30 million, but it still holds a lot of value.

I'd lock up Moncada right now for 10 years, 180 million. Over the next 4 years let's say his expected earnings are 60 million. That would be a 6 year 120 million dollar extension which is under market for his talent ceiling but is also security for life. So while he may miss out on an additional 60 million if he bet on himself, he could also lose 120 million if something happens that derails his career. The key is finding that dollar that makes moncada not want to risk losing it. The last thing a player wants to be is the next Ian Desmond.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

120 million is a lot more than 30 million. Moncada seems to be a "fun" spender too. Money is all relative and 90 million does mean less to someone with 30 million, but it still holds a lot of value.

I'd lock up Moncada right now for 10 years, 180 million. Over the next 4 years let's say his expected earnings are 60 million. That would be a 6 year 120 million dollar extension which is under market for his talent ceiling but is also security for life. So while he may miss out on an additional 60 million if he bet on himself, he could also lose 120 million if something happens that derails his career. The key is finding that dollar that makes moncada not want to risk losing it. The last thing a player wants to be is the next Ian Desmond.

Soto's a year behind Moncada for free agency and even though Soto's a super-2 player, there's got to be some extra money for Moncada hitting FA first. So let's say Soto's offer right now was 10/$180 - that might put Moncada at 10/$195 as a comparable contract.

If the White Sox were willing to put that on the table I'd say 50/50 on whether or not Moncada accepts. You'd at least be in the ballpark. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Soto's a year behind Moncada for free agency and even though Soto's a super-2 player, there's got to be some extra money for Moncada hitting FA first. So let's say Soto's offer right now was 10/$180 - that might put Moncada at 10/$195 as a comparable contract.

If the White Sox were willing to put that on the table I'd say 50/50 on whether or not Moncada accepts. You'd at least be in the ballpark. 

I think that would be a reasonable and smart deal for both parties involved.

Soto is also slightly more proven than Moncada at this point but he also may age less gracefully as his defense is already below average at a non-premium position and he doesn't add any real Bsr value.

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What is their to dispute. You've made your point 1000 times. We all understand your position and opinion. We all understand your expectations. What is the point in parroting them in every single thread.

Here's exactly why it's over the top obnoxious at this point:

You will never admit that the front office is changing. Despite rebuilding, increased spending on analytics, increased modernization of the organization and other new avenues they have entered. When the Sox offer 250+ million to someone, and finish second, you cite that as a fact that the White Sox arent serious about spending and investing in this core. You are basically implying that the offer was fake and they knew it wouldn't be accepted; so you're stating that the White Sox put in all those hours knowing it wouldn't get done just so they could say they tried. Zero big businesses operate that way, period. They showed a willingness to spend A LOT of money on a premium talent - something they hadn't shown in their franchises history. You cite that failure as proof they haven't changed despite it being proof of the contrary opinion. 

I already see this offseason and your responses

Sox go out and spend 200-300 million this off season on 2-3 players but they don't sign Cole. You'll use that as proof of your assumption that this team can't get the mega deals done. They could sign the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best FA's on the market and you'll be parroting how they once again missed out on the top free agent. This is why there's no point in giving your posts any credence, because they're not tied to logic at all and are based on an abnormal and irrational amount of hate and anger towards a baseball team you're supposedly a fan of. Its outrageous. 

I think the Machado saga wasnt a dog and pony show but it was about waiting it out. I think it was like wanting a 1k TV on ebay in 2002. You only want to pay 700 tops, and wait til the final days hoping no other bidder sees your low bid and tried to jump it. Then on the final day, someone offers 1k and you are instantly out and close the browser. You wanted that product at a low ball offer only, not at face value.

I can understand why people were mad about this saga when we all knew it would take 300 million to get done. So the FO's hard work was to get a great deal on him and it almost paid off. But they did eventually say 300 million was an expensive cost that they couldn't pay, which is where the big spenders backlash came from, as the going rate for these elite talents will continue to cross 300 million. 

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

To spin signing Gio and Moncada to extensions into something negative is quite the feat, keep up the good work!

I think we sign both and still get quality FAs on 4 year deals. It will work out for us. I don't think we get a Cole, but we will get some big talent.