Passan: Moncada, Giolito are among players to watch for extensions this winter

Jose Abreu

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Soto's a year behind Moncada for free agency and even though Soto's a super-2 player, there's got to be some extra money for Moncada hitting FA first. So let's say Soto's offer right now was 10/$180 - that might put Moncada at 10/$195 as a comparable contract.

If the White Sox were willing to put that on the table I'd say 50/50 on whether or not Moncada accepts. You'd at least be in the ballpark. 

As you may recall, I said back in April I’d do an extension of 10/$200M for Moncada that starts next year. So, yes, I’d do 10/$195M now. I’d imagine the last two years would not be fully guaranteed and include team options with relatively high buyouts. I’d certainly rather be spending $20M AAV on Moncada over the next 10 years than $30M AAV on Machado.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:18 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A GM exuding confidence about his team? What a dumb SOB!

How dare he display a sense of optimism and hope instead of the doom and gloom some Sox fans live and breathe everyday!

You just had to go there, didn't you, lol?

On 8/30/2019 at 7:13 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

As you may recall, I said back in April I’d do an extension of 10/$200M for Moncada that starts next year. So, yes, I’d do 10/$195M now. I’d imagine the last two years would not be fully guaranteed and include team options with relatively high buyouts. I’d certainly rather be spending $20M AAV on Moncada over the next 10 years than $30M AAV on Machado.

I agree with you.  We will have lots of these extensions to deal with in the next five years.  Overpaying for outsiders would set a poor example.  Best to take good care of our homegrown stars and supplement with good talent.  I'm am not saying to avoid Cole type players...just make your offer fair to the market and don't overpay.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, Moan4Yoan said:

Yep.  In a vacuum, extensions for both guys would be amazing.  But somehow they will be used as excuses for not signing any top free agent talent this offseason.  I can already hear it coming out of Hahn’s mouth...

”We were close with a few of our free agent targets but knew that we would not be able to lock up our own internal talent long-term if we matched what they ultimately received from other teams.

Our goal is still the same as it always has been — consistent and long-term winning.  We felt if we dug too deep for our free agent targets, our end goal could be compromised.”

This is how I feel as do others judging on the likes on your post. Hahn has locked up guys in the past and it led to nothing but a bunch of stiffs  free agents, Same old methods same old results. Nothing new nothing unique.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What is their to dispute. You've made your point 1000 times. We all understand your position and opinion. We all understand your expectations. What is the point in parroting them in every single thread.

Here's exactly why it's over the top obnoxious at this point:

You will never admit that the front office is changing. Despite rebuilding, increased spending on analytics, increased modernization of the organization and other new avenues they have entered. When the Sox offer 250+ million to someone, and finish second, you cite that as a fact that the White Sox arent serious about spending and investing in this core. You are basically implying that the offer was fake and they knew it wouldn't be accepted; so you're stating that the White Sox put in all those hours knowing it wouldn't get done just so they could say they tried. Zero big businesses operate that way, period. They showed a willingness to spend A LOT of money on a premium talent - something they hadn't shown in their franchises history. You cite that failure as proof they haven't changed despite it being proof of the contrary opinion. 

I already see this offseason and your responses

Sox go out and spend 200-300 million this off season on 2-3 players but they don't sign Cole. You'll use that as proof of your assumption that this team can't get the mega deals done. They could sign the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best FA's on the market and you'll be parroting how they once again missed out on the top free agent. This is why there's no point in giving your posts any credence, because they're not tied to logic at all and are based on an abnormal and irrational amount of hate and anger towards a baseball team you're supposedly a fan of. Its outrageous. 

You can spin it any way you want to. "Increased spending on analytics ." Is that supposed to impress anyone ? Do you how much they spent ? Do you know how far behind the rest of the league they are ?

"Increased modernization" ? Where ? Show me . Did they add another minor league team . They have 7 minor league teams which is as little as there is in baseball when other teams have 8 or 9. If they are supposed to have wave after wave of talent from the minors how do you develop it using minimum resources . Minimum teams , minimum staff , and trading their surplus intl. FA money every season for the last 2 or 3 seasons.   Sorry if I don't remember .May have been in the penalty 3 season ago but still could ve signed guys to $300,000  contracts  Is that how you add talent  to sustain winning ?

"Willingness to spend a lot of money, something they hadn't shown in franchise history." Actually the Albert Belle contract was the biggest at the time. They supposedly came in second  for Tanaka. Yet the Machado contract put in stipulations  that safeguarded the Sox against player injury while KW whined "All he had to do is stay on the field" for an aging player which isn't that easy. That's a serious offer ? They did the same thing to Frank Thomas basically with the diminished skills clause.

He has to keep repeating himself because guys like you and others are apologists for the teams failures. But rest assured he is not alone in the way he feels and if I had to guess I'd say the board is split pretty evenly on believing that this rebuild will result in multiple championships or sustained success.

So now the issue is extensions which everyone thinks is a great thing which Yoan said. But what did the extensions for Eaton, Sale and Quintana lead to besides a good start to the rebuild ? Did it lead to any winning season ? Playoffs ?  Sustained success ?

Keep blowing smoke up everyone's ass and there will be those who have every right to tell you that you are full of it. I get it you don't want to hear his negative responses but  his posts are a lot more truthful than yours and your belief in the current Front office and ownership. Excuse the rest of us who are in "prove it" mode.

• Thanks 1