Twins @ Sox 8/29 Berrios vs Cease

Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

God forbid that one of our rookies should hit the ground running like the countless times we've seen it done by players on other teams.

I know, right? But we're White Sox fans. We're not allowed nice things. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Twins will almost certainly lose in the first round of the playoffs. 

The Twins are crappy. They're perpetual losers. (Thanks to the guy from WSI that came up with this) 

I fucking hate the Twins. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Just curious. Cease got some experience this year. Should we just send him back down to work on some things. Let him pitch two more weeks in AAA then shut him down?

I don't really care either way and am still high on him.

No one at MLB level can help him.

That's the problem.

Renteria and Cooper are not taking this team to a WS.  They need a fresh perspective in the field management department - at least.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox are so far behind the Twins in terms of talent and coaching, it’s not even funny.

Ehh.  Coaching most definitely. 

Talent-wise - I mean, they're good.  But they're also pretty stop gappy and have very little pitching outside of Berrios.  Buxton is really good when he's healthy.  Rosario and Kepler are really nice OF.  Sano is a great DH.  Other than that - they're a giant pile of meh that has wildly overachieved this season.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As awful as this line score looks, those two wild pitches all the way to backstop concern me the most. I don't remember seeing a pitcher that wild and out of control. I thought he was injured, too.

This is a big setback for Cease. And it only proves the team needs to have a big off season. Either that or another potential 90 losses.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Odds that Cease gets shut down after this start? This is Very reminiscent of Kopech’s last start

Not really.  Kopech's velo was way down.  Cease hit 100 a couple times today.  Was sitting at 98-99.  The wild pitches were bizarre, but I don't think its an arm injury.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Odds that Cease gets shut down after this start? This is Very reminiscent of Kopech’s last start

If he’s healthy, I don’t think he’ll get shut down. He threw 93 innings in 2017, 124 IP last year, and he’s currently at 120 this year. I think he’s got 3/4 more starts left.

2 minutes ago, GradMc said:

No one at MLB level can help him.

That's the problem.

Renteria and Cooper are not taking this team to a WS.  They need a fresh perspective in the field management department - at least.

Agreed. If Giolito had another crap year you would imagine everyone would be calling for Cooper to be fired. The irony is Giolito turned it around because of his HS coach. Lopez has struggled, Cease.

If he is responsible for these bullpen finds, then great. Im really down on Cooper when it comes to starters, especially the way the game is today. 2005 was 14 years ago.

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Talent-wise - I mean, they're good.  But they're also pretty stop gappy and have very little pitching outside of Berrios.  Buxton is really good when he's healthy.  Rosario and Kepler are really nice OF.  Sano is a great DH.  Other than that - they're a giant pile of meh that has wildly overachieved this season.  

Kepler, Rosario, Buxton, Polanco, Garver, Sano, Arraz is a pretty damn good core considering how good they seem to do at developing hitters. I bet they’re active going after pitching in the offseason as well.

Edited by fathom

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Thank you

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kepler, Rosario, Buxton, Polanco, Garner, Sano, Arraz is a pretty damn good core considering how good they seem to do at developing hitters. I bet they’re active going after pitching in the offseason as well.

It is a good core - I agree.  But pretty much all of those guys outside of Buxton and Sano played at their ceiling this season.  And they legitimately have 2 SP under control for next season - Berrios and Perez.  They also have a lot of the same issues the White Sox have with attracting top FA.  They're a good team, but just about everything has gone right for them this season except Buxton not staying healthy (surprise, surprise).  The clocks on all of those guys are ticking away as well.  Their time is right now, and 2020.  

Pitching wins in the playoffs.  The Yankees also absolutely own them, and have for years, they're simply just not as good as the Astros.  It will be a quick stay in October.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

It is a good core.  I agree.  But pretty much all of those guys outside of Buxton and Sano played at their ceiling this season.  And they legitimately have 2 SP under control for next season - Berrios and Perez.  They also have a lot of the same issues the White Sox have with attracting top FA.  They're a good team, but just about everything has gone right for them this season except Buxton staying not staying healthy (surprise, surprise). 

Pitching wins in the playoffs.  The Yankees also absolutely own them, and have for years, they're simply just not as good as the Astros.  It will be a quick stay in October.  

I don’t care about how they match up in the postseason.  I care more about how are the Sox supposed to significantly close the gap between them next year.  Just like the Sox, the Twins have a ton of money to spend.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t care about how they match up in the postseason.  I care more about how are the Sox supposed to significantly close the gap between them next year.  Just like the Sox, the Twins have a ton of money to spend.

Not really.  Twins have like $85-90M committed to next years payroll.  They have enough money to add some tertiary pieces.  Which they did very well doing this past offseason.  Chances them hitting on every guy again are pretty low.  The Twins are most likely going to be better than the White Sox next season, but I suspect that will be the last season for quite a while.  

Not really.  Twins have like $85-90M committed to next years payroll.  They have enough money to add some tertiary pieces.  Which they did very well doing this past offseason.  Chances them hitting on every guy again are pretty low.  The Twins are most likely going to be better than the White Sox next season, but I suspect that will be the last season for quite a while.  

I guarantee they will be in on every starting pitcher the Sox are this offseason. They’ve tried throwing big money at starters in recent years.

Just now, fathom said:

I guarantee they will be in on every starting pitcher the Sox are this offseason. They’ve tried throwing big money at starters in recent years.

They better be!  They have 2 SP, and one isn't good! 

• Like 1

If Cease is going to stay up, he ought to just pitch against the other organizations that are tanking. Some of his performances have been pretty bad. Probably should send him down, give him 2 more starts for confidence then shut it down. His ERA is 5.76. He's given up 11 bombs in 50 innings.

Or just let him pitch the rest of the year in the bigs for experience and hope he has more good outings than bad. I think I'd send him down. He's had a taste of the bigs. Next season is his age 24 season.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

If Cease is going to stay up, he ought to just pitch against the other organizations that are tanking. Some of his performances have been pretty bad. Probably should send him down, give him 2 more starts for confidence then shut it down. His ERA is 5.76. He's given up 11 bombs in 50 innings.

Or just let him pitch the rest of the year in the bigs for experience and hope he has more good outings than bad. I think I'd send him down. He's had a taste of the bigs. Next season is his age 24 season.

He pitched fine against the Astros and Mets...but by all means, keep using the word “tank” like it’s a four letter word.

I love the "Sox fans" on Twitter thrashing Cease and saying he needs to be sent down / shut down.  They're the same people that were screaming for his promotion in June and early July, and would be complaining daily if he wasn't promoted.  Comical stuff.  He's here.  Let him work through his shit.  

I love the "Sox fans" on Twitter thrashing Cease and saying he needs to be sent down / shut down.  They're the same people that were screaming for his promotion in June and early July, and would be complaining daily if he wasn't promoted.  Comical stuff.  He's here.  Let him work through his shit.  

Probably same people who are pissed Robert hasn’t been called up yet livid that the Sox lost a year on Kopech.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The minor league season ends Monday. Charlotte is in the playoffs but there just isn't time for this. 

Not that they should send him down anyways, he is up to develop. Hopefully he'll learn from this year and have a good year next season.