Jay to the IL, Cordell recalled

Tnetennba

20 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There is zero reason for Jay to ever come back to the active roster.

There is zero reason for cordell to be recalled as well. it would have been better to give someone else a chance to see if they could help the MLB team next year.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There is zero reason for cordell to be recalled as well. it would have been better to give someone else a chance to see if they could help the MLB team next year.

I can’t argue with you here.  Yermin And Mendick are still in limbo.  They could potentially fill DH and utility infielder next year.  This is a mystery.

So a good takeaway from the jay and alonso signings is there was a tendency with Jay to take his career OBP and assume as a 34 year old he would still provide that in the lineup and that it would be good, despite a sudden drop off last year in production.

I'm taking a "Parkman" for this one. 

With the constant complaints on this board about how slow Jay was, a couple of weeks ago, I suggested that since he was on the IL for so long with the hip injury, that maybe it didn't heal completely. This resulted in his lack of movement and speed.  (He still sucked with the bat, however). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

To those who want the Sox to save pennies here and there ... there should be outrage over the John Jay acquisition. He was not needed.

I think in all the Machado threads there was sufficient outrage over Alonso and Jay as well as Castillo, Nova, and Ervin Santana (remember him?). Jay now joins the least of barely-remembered wastes of Reinsdorf cash like Jeff Keppinger and Darin Erstad.  I have no more anger left for him, I just want to forget it ever happened.

32 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I think in all the Machado threads there was sufficient outrage over Alonso and Jay as well as Castillo, Nova, and Ervin Santana (remember him?). Jay now joins the least of barely-remembered wastes of Reinsdorf cash like Jeff Keppinger and Darin Erstad.  I have no more anger left for him, I just want to forget it ever happened.

It makes you wonder how smart baseball minds could come up to the conclusion they want John Jay on a tank/rebuild team. Weird. Almost like giving away the 4 mill or whatever he makes.

Still the most bizarre injury situation I've ever seen. They signed him and he just seemed to show up hurt. He played a little in spring training but there was never a day where Jay got hurt, he just stopped playing and then suddenly was on the IL for 3 months. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Still the most bizarre injury situation I've ever seen. They signed him and he just seemed to show up hurt. He played a little in spring training but there was never a day where Jay got hurt, he just stopped playing and then suddenly was on the IL for 3 months. 

It was obvious he was nowhere near 100 pct at any time this year. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It was obvious he was nowhere near 100 pct at any time this year. 

Which is why this was bizarre. Did he actually suffer a serious injury in spring training? There was never a "Jon Jay suffers serious hip injury" article. Did he come to spring training with that injury? If so, when did it happen? How on Earth did he get signed in December if he had a serious enough injury to knock him out for 2/3 of the season and force him onto the 60 day IL twice? 

Normally when a guy goes onto the IL you can write a "Jay suffered a serious injury today" article. 

If I was being my usual obnoxious self, I'd suggest that he had a serious, degenerative, surgery requiring condition at the end of last year, put it off, and the White Sox signed him without bothering to do a complete physical, either not doing it at all or glossing over important things to sign him because he was Machado's buddy. That version fits with how bizarre his IL stint was.

• Like 1