Sox fire Matt Lisle/Matt Lisle quits (?)

Jose Abreu

Back to Lisle Talk...”Taking the High Road”

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachLisle/status/1167553848866590720

I will be forever grateful to the Chicago White Sox for giving me my first opportunity in Major League Baseball. This past year has been a life-long dream come true. Looking forward to seeing what God has in store for the next “season” of life. #PhoneLinesAreOpen

If you’re looking for a story or controversy, there’s none to be had. I learned so much this year & have the upmost confidence in the vision for player development of Chris Getz & the rest of the org.

5 hours ago, ron883 said:

I had a good upbringing, good education, and was gifted with above average intelligence. What I could never conquer was work ethic and ambition. I see others with far superior work ethic and ambition. I've always wanted to improve those things. Always told myself I would. Bottom line, I'm just not that ambitious and lack good work ethic. I could be doing more, be making more if I had better work ethic. I just don't. It's something I've come to terms with. I still do well, but I could be doing much better. Work ethic and ambition are real things dawg. Not everybody has it. Everybody knows a bum who has been given every opportunity  and advantage and managed to squander it time after time. 

Hell, look at some players on the White Sox. If they had better work ethic, maybe they would field their positions better!

Nice try.  First baseball comment for pages of this political dialog.

I really doubt liking that tweet had anything to do with Lisle now looking for work. I would guess Lisle might have already have known his fate when he liked the tweet. The White Sox have really pissed me off lately baseball wise, and I liked the Lisle hire. But to say he was fired because the White Sox love their old school ways and he was trying to change that is nuts. Why would they have hired him in the first place? 

I actually googled Lisle a month or so ago because I forgot all about him. It certainly didn’t seem like he had much of a role with the organization. His twitter once indicated he was in Birmingham, but that was about it. 

There are a million reasons why he and the team may have separated,and the one many seem to want to hang with, seems like possibility 999,847 on the list.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I really doubt liking that tweet had anything to do with Lisle now looking for work. I would guess Lisle might have already have known his fate when he liked the tweet. The White Sox have really pissed me off lately baseball wise, and I liked the Lisle hire. But to say he was fired because the White Sox love their old school ways and he was trying to change that is nuts. Why would they have hired him in the first place? 

I actually googled Lisle a month or so ago because I forgot all about him. It certainly didn’t seem like he had much of a role with the organization. His twitter once indicated he was in Birmingham, but that was about it. 

There are a million reasons why he and the team may have separated,and the one many seem to want to hang with, seems like possibility 999,847 on the list.

I just certainly hope (if he sucked) they don’t consider it a failed experiment and still hire more lisle esque coaches. 

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just certainly hope (if he sucked) they don’t consider it a failed experiment and still hire more lisle esque coaches. 

Me too. 

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. I should have known when to stop. 

Apologies. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

How long will it be before this organization allows us to be talking about our playoff match-ups in September instead of all of their internal dysfunction?

It's really tiresome.

I want White Sox September baseball to mean something. It's been so damn long 

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Would a guy in this spot have had to give a "2 weeks notice" before leaving? Because 2 weeks ago was when Renteria told people to "F*** off" about analytics.

If this threat happened the day after that rant, a lot of people would be wondering if they were connected. 

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Would a guy in this spot have had to give a "2 weeks notice" before leaving? Because 2 weeks ago was when Renteria told people to "F*** off" about analytics.

If this threat happened the day after that rant, a lot of people would be wondering if they were connected. 

If he said he was leaving they’d show him the door. No reason to let him get access to proprietary stuff for two weeks if he was going elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What threat are you referring to?  And Lisle was an analytics based minor league hitting instructor, so I’m really struggling to see the connection between him & Renteria.

1 hour ago, PolishPrince34 said:

This could be the worst thread ever. Started talking about Lisle and I have no idea where this shit went to. Find a different place to post about wages and politics. 

Cheeseburger?

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Thread, not threat, sorry.

The minor league season is ending, as is probably his contract. I suspect the Sox had told him he wouldn’t be back or at least he has suspected it for a while.We have no idea what exactly went down, but keep in mind MLB teams weren’t exactly knocking each other down to get him to come to their organization. I liked the hire, thought it was a new idea. I think Jim Thome put in a good word. It is possible he isn’t really a professional baseball level of instructor.  Liking a tweet that says make you the major league hitting coach is nothing.

I wish him well, but does anyone really know exactly what he did and who he helped?

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The minor league season is ending, as is probably his contract. I suspect the Sox had told him he wouldn’t be back or at least he has suspected it for a while.We have no idea what exactly went down, but keep in mind MLB teams weren’t exactly knocking each other down to get him to come to their organization. I liked the hire, thought it was a new idea. I think Jim Thome put in a good word. It is possible he isn’t really a professional baseball level of instructor.  Liking a tweet that says make you the major league hitting coach is nothing.

I wish him well, but does anyone really know exactly what he did and who he helped?

There really hasn’t been a single story about who he’s helped or even much detail on his role.  Hard to imagine it will be a big loss for us.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There really hasn’t been a single story about who he’s helped or even much detail on his role.  Hard to imagine it will be a big loss for us.

That doesn't mean he wasn't providing solid feedback, that could equally mean that the org was not willing to listen to whatever he was offering.

5 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

This could be the worst thread ever. Started talking about Lisle and I have no idea where this shit went to. Find a different place to post about wages and politics. 

And whether people are inhertently lazy or not :) .      Actually I have some opinions on that if we have a thread :)

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Can someone clean up this thread, put most of it somewhere else and close that stuff  up? I apologize for going down this rabbit hole and I was trying to avoid it. 

Don't sweat it. We know you are a passionate person and seemingly a caring guy.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Eno Sarris of Athletic totally put down the White Sox in his chat saying they don’t provide game plans to their minor league players and hire analytics people and no one in the organization listen to them. Regarding the Lisle firing. Crazy stuff

Not surprised with that at all, if I were a draftee I would never want to play in this organization. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Eno Sarris of Athletic totally put down the White Sox in his chat saying they don’t provide game plans to their minor league players and hire analytics people and no one in the organization listen to them. Regarding the Lisle firing. Crazy stuff

Rick Hahn should be absolutely ashamed of himself.  How does he even look himself in the mirror?  @Look at Ray Ray Run and @Balta1701 I know we've talked about this with Hahn: he should be an analytics guy, right?  Harvard law, U Mich before that.  

So he's either compromised his beliefs in order to draw a lifetime check from JR or he's not an analytics guy at all and just fronted as one for the fans.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Do you have the quotes from the chat perhaps?

29 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rick Hahn should be absolutely ashamed of himself.  How does he even look himself in the mirror?  @Look at Ray Ray Run and @Balta1701 I know we've talked about this with Hahn: he should be an analytics guy, right?  Harvard law, U Mich before that.  

So he's either compromised his beliefs in order to draw a lifetime check from JR or he's not an analytics guy at all and just fronted as one for the fans.

Yeah, I have no idea how you can be as smart and educated as he is, and not look around and see the immense benefit analytics have had on successful organizations.

I am curious as to which analytics Eno is talking about though. Their scouting department certainly bought in and used advance analytics for drafting and trading. I would love to know where the disconnect is happening.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Hahn probably does believe in analytics but most coaches in the industry are still old school and they don't like taking orders, especially from nerds who didnt play pro ball.

When you tell them to change they will tell you they played peo ball and always did it like that. If you have a large group of "we did like we always did" people and they are standing together this is hard to overcome in a company even for a ceo. If it is one or two you fire him but if it is the whole org that is like a living organism.

You can still change that but that requires cleaning the entire house and that is painful and makes you hated. Hahn probably wants change but he doesn't want the big conflict, he wants to fire a few, hire a few new ones who are more progressive and hopes to create that change silently over a longer period but this doesn't really work.

Sox generally seem to be a tenure org which means if you have a certain tenure and you prove to be reasonably competent you will get promoted. Also some guys probably have a direct thread to jerry and this hahn doesn't dare to touch them.

1 minute ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Hahn probably does believe in analytics but most coaches in the industry are still old school and they don't like taking orders, especially from nerds who didnt play pro ball.

When you tell them to change they will tell you they played peo ball and always did it like that. If you have a large group of "we did like we always did" people and they are standing together this is hard to overcome in a company even for a ceo. If it is one or two you fire him but if it is the whole org that is like a living organism.

You can still change that but that requires cleaning the entire house and that is painful and makes you hated. Hahn probably wants change but he doesn't want the big conflict, he wants to fire a few, hire a few new ones who are more progressive and hopes to create that change silently over a longer period but this doesn't really work.

Sox generally seem to be a tenure org which means if you have a certain tenure and you prove to be reasonably competent you will get promoted. Also some guys probably have a direct thread to jerry and this hahn doesn't dare to touch them.

I believe all of that is true, which is why Hahn should have a hard time looking at himself in the mirror.  He's the GM and he's cucked.