Sox fire Matt Lisle/Matt Lisle quits (?)

Jose Abreu

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Another example of Corporate abuse of power. 

In your view. It's called employment for the rest of us. 

PTs are always salaried in hospitals. One place I worked tried to change it thinking we were overpaid as just salary. When they saw the actual clock time and overtime they had to pay, our classification changed back really quick.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You tell us.  You just claimed we’re all entitled to overtime!  

Funny I I don’t see billboards with lawyers advertising their ability to get people their entitled overtime pay.  I guess lawyers just don’t like money anymore!

I’m in the 6 figures but I would love for this law to be put in place!  I typically work over 40 hours a week and don’t feel I am getting cheated.  I receive a bonus and extra PTO days but hell, I’ll take more money.

Maybe I’ll have to put in a call to Peter Francis Geraci!

• Haha 1

Just now, ptatc said:

In your view. It's called employment for the rest of us. 

PTs are always salaried in hospitals. One place I worked tried to change it thinking we were overpaid as just salary. When they saw the actual clock time and overtime they had to pay, our classification changed back really quick.

You're complaining that I think everyone should be paid more? Lol. 

Agree to work more than 40 hrs per week without being compensated for your extra time? 

See my post above.  If people aren’t happy with their workload or extra work hours, they can always look for a new/better job and this is what oftentimes happens.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Agree to work more than 40 hrs per week without being compensated for your extra time? 

I work whatever my job dictates because either I’m happy with the pay or looking to build my status with the company in order to secure long-term benefits.  If I don’t like how I’m being compensated for my time, I’ll find a new job.  The vast majority of people at my company work a straight 40 hour week and rarely do overtime unless absolutely needed.

Jack, how old are you man?  No offense but you seem to be very naive to the ways of the world.  The world can be a cold, cruel place but also an awesome place.  But ultimately, no one is giving you shit for free.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I work whatever my job dictates because either I’m happy with the pay or looking to build my status with the company in order to secure long-term benefits.  If I don’t like how I’m being compensated for my time, I’ll find a new job.  The vast majority of people at my company work a straight 40 hour week and rarely do overtime unless absolutely needed.

It's nice you have a cool job dude. I'd like one of those one day. 

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m in the 6 figures but I would love for this law to be put in place!  I typically work over 40 hours a week and don’t feel I am getting cheated.  I receive a bonus and extra PTO days but hell, I’ll take more money.

Maybe I’ll have to put in a call to Peter Francis Geraci!

Lol

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're complaining that I think everyone should be paid more? Lol. 

more than we should get monetarily for working over 40 hours per week.

Edited by ptatc

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Jack, how old are you man?  No offense but you seem to be very naive to the ways of the world.

I'm in my early 30s. I have what they used to call Asperger's. I know what most people think is ok, acceptable, the "way of the world" etc. I just think people are too chicken shit to use their leverage. I've never held a full time job, because admittedly I wasn't ready for one until recently. Maybe I'm a bit of an idealist. I know what I have to do in order to "fit in". My biggest thing is that I have principles and I can only bend them so far before I get frustrated and open my mouth. I'd be that guy at work trying to organize a union. Not because it benefits me personally, but because I believe it's the right thing to do. I'd do it regardless of how much money I make. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm in my early 30s. I have what they used to call Asperger's. I know what most people think is ok, acceptable, the "way of the world" etc. I've never held a full time job, because admittedly I wasn't ready for one until recently. Maybe I'm a bit of an idealist. I know what I have to do in order to "fit in". My biggest thing is that I have principles and I can only bend them so far before I get frustrated and open my mouth. 

I’m in my late 30’s.  And even if it’s race, religion, or sexual harassment related, you should be reporting it to one entity within a corporate setting if you decide to do so — Human Resources.  Getting frustrated and opening your mouth directly to the source of the issue is a good way to lose your job.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Even if it’s race, religion, or sexual harassment related, you should be going to one entity about it in a corporate setting — Human Resources.  Getting frustrated and opening your mouth directly to the source is a good way to lose your job.

Heh. I've never worked somewhere with an HR department. Most places I've worked were small businesses. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

It's nice you have a cool job dude. I'd like one of those one day. 

Most people aren’t handed “cool” jobs, they have to work for them.  When I first started in Finance, I was significantly underpaid and had to do a ton of boring shit.  I also had put up with an old man who thought he knew everything.  I didn’t whine or run my mouth, I just continued to work hard and made the most I could out of the opportunity.  

You seem to expect some awesome job from the get-go simply because you’re book smart and/or have an advanced degree.  Most of us have to start out at the bottom of the totem pole and claw their way up the ladder because it’s competitive as fuck out there.  If you expect something to be handed to you, you’re going to end up waiting a long ass time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't agree with that in principle. I know what at will employment is. You should be allowed to leave, but it should be incredibly difficult for your employer to terminate you. I don't think that your boss should be able to fire you just because they don't like you. If you're bad at your job and there's plenty of documented  evidence that's a different story. 

I don't quite agree. Your job is to help your company with your work. Quality of work obviously is most important for this but public relations are increasingly important and you can hurt companies with public statements even if you do it as a private person. this especially applies if you are a high level employee, with a low level guy nobody cares but if a higher level manager says something it will fall back on the company.

Just an example: just imagine a high level Nike manager says work is too expensive thus I would like slavery back. Now you could say this is his personal opinion  but the public will read that is "Nike supports slavery" if Nike doesn't act against that and condemns his statement.

Once you reach a certain level in a company hierarchy you stop being a private person when it's home time, you are basically asked to represent the company 24/7. If you are just a clerk this might be not so strict (but even then it could be if you do something terrible) but the higher you climb the more you are  under the microscope.

High level personnel is asked to at least not harm or maybe even positively represent the company in their free time and not just do a good job between 9 and 5.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Heh. I've never worked somewhere with an HR department. Most places I've worked were small businesses. 

I’ve worked for a very small company of under 50 employees, as well as a large Forbes top 100 company.  Even the small company had a single HR contact that would report issues up to the two owners of the company.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

40 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Have you ever met a homeless person who was happy? 

I can keep my mouth shut if my employer isn't doing something, illegal, unethical, or otherwise immoral. 

Sure, the young people protesting in Hong Kong who can never dream of paying or saving up millions of HK dollars for an apartment.  They would rather go to jail than be wage slaves without any freedoms.

At any rate, disparaging your employer even via tweet doesn’t fly in corporate or non profit.  Now you can argue they shouldn’t have fired him, but companies will also make someone so uncomfortable that they feel there is no other option but to quit...maybe they just start ignoring you, give you the cold shoulder, not inviting you to meetings or keeping you out of the loop deliberately.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Most people aren’t handed “cool” jobs, they have to work for them.  When I first started in Finance, I was significantly underpaid and had to do a ton of boring shit.  I also had put up with an old man who thought he knew everything.  I didn’t whine or run my mouth, I just continued to work hard and made the most I could out of the opportunity.  

You seem to expect some awesome job from the get-go simply because you’re book smart and/or have an advanced degree.  Most of us have to start out at the bottom of the totem pole and claw their way up the ladder because it’s competitive as fuck out there.  If you expect something to be handed to you, you’re going to end up waiting a long ass time.

Agreed.  I’m in IT and my first job was for $32K ages ago doing tech support.  And I thought that was pretty sweet back then, haha.

You have to work hard and constantly improve yourself.  Get training, certifications, etc. and even change jobs as well to get to where you want to be.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don't mind starting at the bottom, don't care about doing boring shit as long as I'm being paid enough to live independently on. 

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm in my early 30s. I have what they used to call Asperger's. I know what most people think is ok, acceptable, the "way of the world" etc. I just think people are too chicken shit to use their leverage. I've never held a full time job, because admittedly I wasn't ready for one until recently. Maybe I'm a bit of an idealist. I know what I have to do in order to "fit in". My biggest thing is that I have principles and I can only bend them so far before I get frustrated and open my mouth. I'd be that guy at work trying to organize a union. Not because it benefits me personally, but because I believe it's the right thing to do. I'd do it regardless of how much money I make. 

That’s noble enough as an individual, but impossible when you have a wife, children or parents relying on you to take care of them.  That’s the world we live in, one comprised of numerous compromises, unless we just remain single our entire lives and cut all family ties.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Don't mind starting at the bottom, don't care about doing boring shit as long as I'm being paid enough to live independently on. 

But that’s where you probably aren’t being realistic.  A job that is “starting at the bottom” and is “boring shit” likely isn’t going to pay well enough to live independently on.  When I started at $32K a year out of college, I was still living with my parents.  I couldn’t afford shit.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

Essentially, we’re arguing about Universal Basic Income at this point.

But it has nothing to do with why Lisle is no longer employed by the Sox.

We can also argue how the top 0.01% of the Top 10% are benefiting unfairly from the layouts of others...while the reverse argument will hold true as well, that entrepreneurs and risk-takers and visionaries are the ones who create those jobs for the rest of us, and we can either quit, stop complaining or attempt to start our own socially conscious enterprises and run them as we see fit, knowing the majority of our competition will not ever put employees first.