Tim Anderson's WAR

SCCWS

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Semien's always been a sure handed statue. The Sox prefer a rangier SS that's going to make more errors, but get to balls that most players don't. The Sox traded Semien because they wanted to go with Johnson at 2nd. 

Wanting to go with Micah Johnson as a major league starter is indication enough of the talent evaluation problems.

Two years ago, it was thinking Jacob "Poor Man's Jerry Owens" May had a big league future.

We can't even get the back-up catcher thing right.

We're paying Welington Castillo millions to record a -1.1 fWAR this year, while Phegley, Dustin Garneau, Narvaez and Tyler Flowers have been worth +4 fWAR.

If anyone on this board projected Johnson to be a long-time starter and Semien to be merely a AAAA player, then would be ridiculed or more likely flambéd.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Semien's always been a sure handed statue. The Sox prefer a rangier SS that's going to make more errors, but get to balls that most players don't. The Sox traded Semien because they wanted to go with Johnson at 2nd. 

By getting to balls that most players don't, it also exposes him to getting more throwing errors as well. 

I wonder what all the increased shifting has done for defensive metrics. It certainly affects range factor and it also opens up players( mostly SS) to having to make more plays from different angles. 

4 hours ago, credezcrew24 said:

Outside of Madrigal when is the last time the Sox drafted a player that even projected to be a plus defender at a non 1B position the first round?

Maybe Burger before his injuries. He had the college pedigree.

It's just people don't think that because he's big and labeled him a DH.

Our infield defense will look very good with Madrigal, Anderson & Moncada.  I hope the new right fielder also brings a good glove with a baseball smart brain.  Good defense wins lots of games.  Robert & Madrigal do a ton to shore up the defensive part of the game.

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Wanting to go with Micah Johnson as a major league starter is indication enough of the talent evaluation problems.

Two years ago, it was thinking Jacob "Poor Man's Jerry Owens" May had a big league future.

We're paying Welington Castillo millions to record a -1.1 fWAR this year, while Phegley, Dustin Garneau, Narvaez and Tyler Flowers have been worth +4 fWAR.

If anyone on this board projected Johnson to be a long-time starter and Semien to be merely a AAAA player, then would be ridiculed or more likely flambéd.

I actually liked Marcus. I always remember one particular AB that impressed me. He pulled his hands in a lot to get around on a very inside pitch  and hit a HR when most would've fouled it off. I know its one AB  but I have yet to see Eloy do that.

From a SF Chronicle article about that trade with the Sox:

“I should stop being surprised at what Marcus accomplishes because he really understands what he needs to work on. He’s a great self-evaluator,” manager Bob Melvin said. “Every spring, he comes in with something else he feels he needs to work on. He uses the analytics to check what his deficiencies are.”

Imagine that a manager talking about analytics and using them to to improve.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/Semien-Bassitt-Phegley-show-A-s-came-out-14287512.php?psid=l2LF4

On 9/1/2019 at 10:29 PM, SCCWS said:

Someone posted yesterday that Abreu w 100+ RBI's still trails Yolmer in WAR.  I was thinking today what a good year Tim has had at the plate.  He continues to keep his average above .320 . I looked up his WAR after 100 games this season and he is at 2.7. His rookie year he played 99 games and his WAR for that season was 2.7. Now across the board, his offensive numbers except triples are higher than in 2016 including a significant increase in BA and a huge drop in SO. But regardless, his DWAR drop this year offsets his OWAR increase. He has made 10 more errors this year but has an increase in range factor. WAR fans may get under the covers and find some rationale but it seems to me that errors have a greater impact on WAR than any offensive stat. 

Unfortunately in 2019 the offensive value of a “replacement level” player has gotten better, so Timmy’s numbers don’t equate to as many WARs as it did just 3 years ago. That and his defensive struggles are your answers.

20 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Micah Johnson over Semien, jeebus.  That is some piss-poor scouting and player evaluation.