2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know the White Sox won't do this, but I'd use that money on a starting pitcher.

Anyway, what strong outside hitter do you think actually exists as a difference maker? Ozuna is the best available corner OF, but he certainly hasn't been a difference-maker the last 2 years. None of the guys who people have talked about trading for or signing to fill the corner OF spot are anything close to difference makers. There's no 5 win corner OF on the free agent market this offseason, so what kind of difference maker are you thinking of? Are you planning to move Vaughn as a key piece for this? 

2018: Haniger 4.6 fWAR, Nimmo 4.5 fWAR, Piscotty 3.0 fWAR, Polanco 2.5 fWAR, with Haniger probably the most available out of the bunch. I think they’d all be better options than a 36 year old Gordon who hasn’t played more than a handful of RF in his entire career (or forcing Eloy there).

37 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If we don't want Avi, why not give Leury a shot at playing on a team with a chance to win something? He's not a bad player. We don't need 8 phenoms playing every day in the lineup.

He isn’t a bad player, just isn’t a good enough starter on a team looking to contend.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

He isn’t a bad player, just isn’t a good enough starter on a team looking to contend.

Leury is a utility player. He’s been exposed this year given his workload. He went 4 weeks with only 1 walk as a leadoff hitter. His OPS has also plummeted well under .700 before yesterday.  Sometimes I don’t think people realize just how loaded the lineups are of good teams.  

Wasn’t Piscotty traded specifically so he could be closer to his family on the West Coast?

On December 14, 2017, the Cardinals traded Piscotty to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for Yairo Muñoz and Max Schrock.[40] The trade came at the request of Piscotty who wished to be closer to his mother, Gretchen, who was battling amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).[41][42] Gretchen would pass away on May 6, 2018.

Still think, overall, he’s probably a better fit for the A’s.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Watching a lot of Pirates games, us Sox fans would HATE Polanco. He’s just not good and makes a lot of dumb decisions on the field. Given his injury issues, he’s another person that shouldn’t be considered.

I had him 4/4 in preference in that group, but would still take him over Leury, Gordon or Calhoun etc. I don’t think it takes a lot to get him either, but still have some untapped potential in that bat.

The Mets aren’t going to just give Nimmo away.

Haniger is the better bet, because of the situation Seattle finds itself in...comfort in AL, price tags is way down from previous years but there’s still X amount of risk that will never go away when you’re looking to add difference makers instead of complementary players.

You can make the same risk/reward move with Wil Myers and take on a salary subsidy from SD if you believe in his talent and your overall scouting.  He didn’t respond well to inconsistent playing time and being forced into CF for much of the season, which is one of the main reasons they traded Reyes at peak...

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Leury is a utility player. He’s been exposed this year given his workload. He went 4 weeks with only 1 walk as a leadoff hitter. His OPS has also plummeted well under .700 before yesterday.  Sometimes I don’t think people realize just how loaded the lineups are of good teams.  

Agreed on this. Leury would/should be a nice utility player on a good-to-great team, were he given the correct amount of exposures to favorable matchups. [i.e. Vs LHP, his WRC+ is 109, vs RHP, it's 70.] 

He also was a very good SS in MiLB, and I think that he could be that again, if given the opportunity.

Of course, a stupid org like the SOX have him [and his shitty .309 OBP] leading off, because those morons hate having players, you know, ON BASE for some insane reason. This same stupid org hates making the most of a player's potential utility, so I attribute much of Leury's up-and-down defensive performance to him not being managed well. [Neither here, nor in MiLB.]

All in all, I think I'd bring him back to start until Robert arrives, and then as a utility player thereafter.

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

Then it's really changed since 05. Sometimes teams click with good players plus ordinary players and excellent pitching. We don't have near the pitching it's going to take but we have the every day players. 

48 minutes ago, fathom said:

Gordon absolutely won’t extend his career playing for a possible non-contender if it’s not in KC. I think he’s KC or bust and want nothing to do with him.

The Gordon suggestions are mostly a finishing supporting piece. If the Sox sign a top 5 FA SP, another backend vet, Grandal, resign Abreu and get a good pen arm or two, a guy like Gordon to plug an OF spot for a season wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. 

He may be KC or bust. I am sure he’d happily play on a better team than KC if the opportunity presented itself. But, hopefully RF is filled via trade with a higher upside guy. We’ll see. He’d be an awful option if he’s one of the highest AAV guys added.

20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Then it's really changed since 05. Sometimes teams click with good players plus ordinary players and excellent pitching. We don't have near the pitching it's going to take but we have the every day players. 

Greg, do you really believe this?

I mean, do you actually believe that this team could sniff the jocks of actual WS contenders?

I certainly don't. Go watch the yankmees, dodgers, or Astros for a couple series, then tell us how many of the SOX everyday players would even be on the GOOD TEAMS' rosters.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
holy s***.

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Greg, do you really believe this?

I mean, do you actually believe that this team could sniff the jocks of actual WS contenders?

I certainly don't. Go watch the yankmees, dodgers, or Astros for a couple series, then tell us how many of the SOX everyday players would even be on the GOOD TEAMS' rosters.

I mean they have competed with some WS contenders this year...Minnesota at times, cleveland at times, Yankees, didn't they win the season series against Houston?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Gordon suggestions are mostly a finishing supporting piece. If the Sox sign a top 5 FA SP, another backend vet, Grandal, resign Abreu and get a good pen arm or two, a guy like Gordon to plug an OF spot for a season wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. 

He may be KC or bust. I am sure he’d happily play on a better team than KC if the opportunity presented itself. But, hopefully RF is filled via trade with a higher upside guy. We’ll see. He’d be an awful option if he’s one of the highest AAV guys added.

That team won’t be good enough offensively to mask the rookie struggles for Robert and Madrigal and Gordon’s nonexistent bat.

27 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I mean they have competed with some WS contenders this year...Minnesota at times, cleveland at times, Yankees, didn't they win the season series against Houston?

Sure, every once in awhile a bad team can beat a good one. But over 162, the cream rises to the top.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

If we don't want Avi, why not give Leury a shot at playing on a team with a chance to win something? He's not a bad player. We don't need 8 phenoms playing every day in the lineup.

Greg are you actually arguing that we keep a mediocre player so that we don't end up with too many good players?

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Greg, theres nothing wrong with finding an upgrade and letting Leury take over the utility role. With injuries and days off, he'll still get a solid amount of PT.

The idea of trading Cease is ridiculous.  What starter are the Sox going to get to replace him with ace type stuff?  You are dreaming if you think the Sox are dishing out a $200+ million dollar contract for Cole or someone like him.  The Sox don’t spend big money on starting pitching because of the high frequency of injuries.  Danks and his 4-year, $65 million dollar contract was the largest one they have given out to a starting pitcher and he probably just bolstered their opinion on signing starters to big money deals.

Edited by Moan4Yoan