2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

IMO you sign Castellanos to play DH and RF in a pinch.  He can spell Eloy or Yoan when necessary. If he can play 1st, great. His bat has upside and he is young. Unless he completely bombs his contract should be tradable at any time

Edited by ron883

10 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The point is there’s no reason to settle for mediocrity at any position when the Sox have money to spend.

Even adding a guy like Corey Dickerson for RF won’t cost that much but would improve the team quite a bit because Dickerson > Leury and Leury would then strengthen the bench.

Greg doesn't just want to win. He wants to win in style. Carry a Yolmer Sanchez or two to bring some character to the team. Hire Ozzie for some hilarious quotes during the epic WS run. A team that is remembered for being equally goofy as they are good. Sacrifice a little talent for personality. Sox are supposed to have WAR machines at every position anyways

Edited by ron883

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Greg doesn't just want to win. He wants to win in style. Carry a Yolmer Sanchez or two to bring some character to the team. Hire Ozzie for some hilarious quotes during the epic WS run. A team that is remembered for being equally goofy as they are good. Sacrifice a little talent for personality. Sox are supposed to have WAR machines at every position anyways

Agreed.  Personality wins zip.  I’m sure Ricky would make a cool grandpa but his baseball knowledge and strategy is stuck in the Dead Ball Era.  He can go ruin some other team and call for bunts to try to score one run in the 2nd inning of games.  He’s terrible.

Also, if Hahn brings back Yolmer for around $6 million, that may be all the confirmation I need to know he is the wrong GM for this team.

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

IMO you sign Castellanos to play DH and RF in a pinch.  He can spell Eloy or Yoan when necessary. If he can play 1st, great. His bat has upside and he is young. Unless he completely bombs his contract should be tradable at any time

Between his hot streak with the Cubs and his agent (Boras) he is pricing himself out of any realistic chance of the Sox signing him.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed.  Personality wins zip.  I’m sure Ricky would make a cool grandpa but his baseball knowledge and strategy is stuck in the Dead Ball Era.  He can go ruin some other team and call for bunts to try to score one run in the 2nd inning of games.  He’s terrible.

Also, if Hahn brings back Yolmer for around $6 million, that may be all the confirmation I need to know he is the wrong GM for this team.

What if he put his hat on backwards and ordered a hotdog between innings from a vendor near the dugout? That would be priceless! Keep Ricky around plz

Edited by ron883

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

If you’d be disappointed with that offseason, not sure what to tell ya. 

If Sox are adding $60M+ in payroll next year you best hope they don’t waste that money and not make the playoffs because they have Alex freaking Gordon as their starting RF. He’s among the worst option for that spot. Heck I’d take Leury over him there. If a better option is available via trade I’ll will entertain it.

19 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If Sox are adding $60M+ in payroll next year you best hope they don’t waste that money and not make the playoffs because they have Alex freaking Gordon as their starting RF. He’s among the worst option for that spot. Heck I’d take Leury over him there. If a better option is available via trade I’ll will entertain it.

Did someone seriously suggest acquiring 36 year old Alex Gordon to play RF for our team next year?  He is old as balls and currently sporting his highest OPS in his last four seasons at a pathetic .733.  He OPS’ed under .700 the previous 3 years from 2016 to 2018.  He is about the worst suggestion for a corner OF acquisition that I have seen anywhere.  The guy has been done as a quality baseball player for years.  The Royals have only kept him around for nostalgia purposes because he is a career-long Royal.

My god, apparently some people like veteran dumpster diving as much as Kenny and Hahn do.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

58 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Between his hot streak with the Cubs and his agent (Boras) he is pricing himself out of any realistic chance of the Sox signing him.

Be careful, the "unprecedented financial flexibility...we competitively offered Tanaka/Machado/Harper...and signed Robert over StL" brigade will come after you with pitchforks if you suggest anyone is priced out of our market.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Be careful, the "unprecedented financial flexibility...we competitively offered Tanaka/Machado/Harper...and signed Robert over StL" brigade will come after you with pitchforks if you suggest anyone is priced out of our market.

I will go out on a solid redwood tree branch and say that Castellanos will not be a White Sox.

52 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Did someone seriously suggest acquiring 36 year old Alex Gordon to play RF for our team next year?  He is old as balls and currently sporting his highest OPS in his last four seasons at a pathetic .733.  He OPS’ed under .700 the previous 3 years from 2016 to 2018.  He is about the worst suggestion for a corner OF acquisition that I have seen anywhere.  The guy has been done as a quality baseball player for years.  The Royals have only kept him around for nostalgia purposes because he is a career-long Royal.

My god, apparently some people like veteran dumpster diving as much as Kenny and Hahn do.

If anybody was serious about Gordon, it shows the insanity of message boards. Think how old he is in a world we now think of 32 as old. Think how little production he gives. Same message board with a lotta people hating on Jose Abreu and somebody wants elder Alex Gordon who provides nothing with the bat?

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

If anybody was serious about Gordon, it shows the insanity of message boards. Think how old he is in a world we now think of 32 as old. Think how little production he gives. Same message board with a lotta people hating on Jose Abreu and somebody wants elder Alex Gordon who provides nothing with the bat?

Nobody with a brain in their head wants Alex Gordon, Greg.  These are the types of players Sox fans want or expect when they believe we will have a 90 million dollar payroll again next year.

Bunk.

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Conforto definitely costs at least one of Madrigal, Vaughn or Cease and then a couple nice complementary pieces. No thank you. Really only makes sense if Sox were able to sign Rendon to play 2B and then trade Madrigal + for him. I’d be shocked. 

I'd be mad.

19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

The White Sox should have no price ranges they cannot play in this offseason.  Nick fuckin' Castellanos certainly isn't out of it.  

That being said, he's a very meh fit.  

Well, sure, they could pay him, but I’d rather they spend that kind of money elsewhere.  

I get thinking that we won't pay up for Cole or Rendon, because I agree, but there's absolutely no chance that Nick Castellanos is "pricing himself out" for the Sox unless you think teams are gonna look at a hot 2 months and fork over $150 million+ for someone who's basically a DH 

12 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Castellanos is at most getting 4/$60M type deal.  That is not out of the Sox price range.

That said, hard pass on on that deal.  I won't want to pay a DH who wouldn't even be a good DH $15M over 4 seasons.  

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Castellanos is at most getting 4/$60M type deal.  That is not out of the Sox price range.

That said, hard pass on on that deal.  I won't want to pay a DH who wouldn't even be a good DH $15M over 4 seasons.  

I don’t think I agree with you on that “at most” contract offer anymore.  I think some team will be willing to go higher than 4/$60 for him.

So you don’t want Castellanos because he’s a DH but you suggested the Sox acquiring Alex Gordon who can’t do anything well these days?  😮

Edited by Moan4Yoan

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t think I agree with you on that “at most” contract offer anymore.  I think some team will be willing to go higher than 4/$60 for him.

So you don’t want Castellanos because he’s a DH but you suggested the Sox acquiring Alex Gordon who can’t do anything well these days?  😮

Alex Gordon is a well above average defensive OF that if paired with several other notable signings would be a fine stop gap in the OF on a 1 year deal. I am not suggesting that he would be anything close to a major move for the team. I also suggested him as a fallback option if much better fits on the trade market don’t come to fruition. Context is important. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Alex Gordon is a well above average defensive OF that if paired with several other notable signings would be a fine stop gap in the OF on a 1 year deal. I am not suggesting that he would be anything close to a major move for the team. I also suggested him as a fallback option if much better fits on the trade market don’t come to fruition. Context is important. 

There is no context where Gordon would be a good acquisition.  He can’t hit, and hasn’t for the past 4 seasons.  If the Sox can’t easily do better than Gordon for RF (i.e. Corey Dickerson) there is no hope at all.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There is no context where Gordon would be a good acquisition.  He can’t hit, and hasn’t for the past 4 seasons.  If the Sox can’t easily do better than Gordon for RF (i.e. Corey Dickerson) there is no hope at all.

I’d be fine with Dickerson if he DHs a lot. He’s also a pretty terrible OF. Defense is important. It’s tough to play good team defense with both your corner OF being well below average.