2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't think they have money for that.  They are pretty extended financially and I don't think they have much coming off.  Plus guys in arb years.

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Their pay-to-watch Cubs network starts in 2020.  They will have money.

More important than them "Not having the money" is that they may want to use that money somewhere else (Cole or Stras).

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Alex Gordon is a well above average defensive OF that if paired with several other notable signings would be a fine stop gap in the OF on a 1 year deal. I am not suggesting that he would be anything close to a major move for the team. I also suggested him as a fallback option if much better fits on the trade market don’t come to fruition. Context is important. 

I am not a fan of signing a career LF to play RF, and Gordon is a flat out downgrade from an in house option in Leury.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

More important than them "Not having the money" is that they may want to use that money somewhere else (Cole or Stras).

Also, I realize they added Kimbrel ($16M) but Hamels ($20M), Zobrist ($12M), Morrow ($9M), Strop ($6.25M), and Kintzler ($5M) are all coming off their books after this season.  They added $16 million in Kimbrel but are about to drop over $52 million in expiring contracts.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

I am not a fan of signing a career LF to play RF, and Gordon is a flat out downgrade from an in house option in Leury.

Leury isn't going away.  He will still be around.  Look, I am not necessarily campaigning for Gordon.  But I'd prefer him in RF to Cordell/Engel/Tilson/Palka by quite a bit. Leury doing what he actually should be doing as a utility player filling in at SS, 2B, the OF positions is more valuable than just sticking him in RF all season.  I'd far prefer an upside trade like Nimmo, Tapia, Mazara, Polonco, etc., but that isn't necessarily going to be an easy task.  

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Also, I realize they added Kimbrel ($16M) but Hamels ($20M), Zobrist ($12M), Morrow ($9M), Strop ($6.25M), and Kintzler ($5M) are all coming off their books after this season.  They added $16 million in Kimbrel but are about to drop over $52 million in expiring contracts.

Can you discuss the Cubs on a Cubs board with fellow Cubs fans?  Great, thanks! 

• Haha 4

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Gramps? Lol, I am in my 20s.  

Okay, then I’m gramps and you are the young whippersnapper.  😂

Any other trade targets for RF?  Someone mentioned Gregory Polanco of the Pirates a few times in the past but he has mostly been injured with a poor performance at the plate this season.

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Any other trade targets for RF?  Someone mentioned Gregory Polanco of the Pirates a few times in the past but he has mostly been injured with a poor performance at the plate this season.

David Dahl could be an interesting target.  Hard to gauge how much he'd cost as he's been hurt alot but the Rockies are very lefty heavy and maybe would be interested in moving him.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

David Dahl could be an interesting target.  Hard to gauge how much he'd cost as he's been hurt alot but the Rockies are very lefty heavy and maybe would be interested in moving him.  

He would be a nice target but I wonder if the Rockies would be willing to move a 25 year old OF who has shown the ability to hit.

46 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Leury isn't going away.  He will still be around.  Look, I am not necessarily campaigning for Gordon.  But I'd prefer him in RF to Cordell/Engel/Tilson/Palka by quite a bit. Leury doing what he actually should be doing as a utility player filling in at SS, 2B, the OF positions is more valuable than just sticking him in RF all season.  I'd far prefer an upside trade like Nimmo, Tapia, Mazara, Polonco, etc., but that isn't necessarily going to be an easy task.  

Polanco shouldn't cost more than Nova did this past offseason. He's been hurt a ton over the last few seasons. He might even be non-tendered. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Polanco shouldn't cost more than Nova did this past offseason. He's been hurt a ton over the last few seasons. He might even be non-tendered. 

Polonco and Mazara would certainly be cheaper than the other options.  

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Going for but low guys is my #1 preference, otherwise even in house guys like Mendick (who takes over the utility spot and left Leury play RF) or Cordell would even be preferred over the $5-7M I’d need to spend on Gordon, and then spend that money on an RP.

4 minutes ago, sox71 said:

I hate the thought of Puig on the White Sox.  It is going to be another agonizing off season with these free agents. 

Same.  Really don't like the fit at all unless its a short term deal and Sox somehow find a lefty masher elsewhere. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're a huge upgrade over Cordell and what we've been putting out there. 

They aren't though.  Both are like 4th OF types right now.  Do they have more upside, yeah.  But guys like that should not be who the Sox are targeting.  Polanco has more negative bWAR this year than Cordell and Mazarra has like 1.6 in his career.

Now if you want to bring those guys in to platoon or something or as 4th OF's cool.  

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They aren't though.  Both are like 4th OF types right now.  Do they have more upside, yeah.  But guys like that should not be who the Sox are targeting.  Polanco has more negative bWAR this year than Cordell and Mazarra has like 1.6 in his career.

Now if you want to bring those guys in to platoon or something or as 4th OF's cool.  

Who do you suggest then?  There aren't exactly a crop of sexy options on the FA market.