2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who do you suggest then?  There aren't exactly a crop of sexy options on the FA market.  

Ozuna>>>>>>>>>>Castellanos, Puig.

I agree there aren't a lot, and this is why getting multiple pieces from drafts is so important.  We don't really have anything to trade.  You have to assume a guy like Mitch Haniger could be available or 26 year old Brian Anderson from Miami maybe, Clint Frazier if that does anything for you. But we don't have pieces to aquire that.

Would the Sox trade a Dalquist, Sheets, ++ to get a guy?  I wouldn't want them to do that either.  That's the FO's job so we'll see.  I just don't see Mazarras and Polanco's as upgrades.  You are better off with Leury there.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I agree there aren't a lot, and this is why getting multiple pieces from drafts is so important.  We don't really have anything to trade.  You have to assume a guy like Mitch Haniger could be available or 26 year old Brian Anderson from Miami maybe, Clint Frazier if that does anything for you. But we don't have pieces to aquire that.

Would the Sox trade a Dalquist, Sheets, ++ to get a guy?  I wouldn't want them to do that either.  That's the FO's job so we'll see.  I just don't see Mazarras and Polanco's as upgrades.  You are better off with Leury there.

I think the Sox have plenty of bullets to pull of a trade, even without using any of the premium prospects.

I really just don't think any of those guys are great fits.  They're all bad defensively, and they all hit right handed.  For instance, if the Sox sign Ozuna and re-sign Abreu as their offensive additions, when Robert and Madrigal arrive in mid April, the Sox will be sporting a lineup with 7 right handed hitters and 2 lefties (one of which is Collins at DH). I just don't really see that happening as it creates very poor lineup balance.  

8 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Somebody's been reading my posts.. ;)

I think the Sox have plenty of bullets to pull of a trade, even without using any of the premium prospects.

I really just don't think any of those guys are great fits.  They're all bad defensively, and they all hit right handed.  For instance, if the Sox sign Ozuna and re-sign Abreu as their offensive additions, when Robert and Madrigal arrive in mid April, the Sox will be sporting a lineup with 7 right handed hitters and 2 lefties (one of which is Collins at DH). I just don't really see that happening as it creates very poor lineup balance.  

I don't disagree with you at all there isn't a premium guy out there, closest thing is Ozuna.

BoSox were "allegedly" shopping Benintendi.  That would be a perfect guy to get if available.  I just don't think we have the prospects. 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

1. Michael Conforto

2. Jesse Winker

3. Mitch Haniger

I like these options. 

I think Conforto might be out of reach since we won't be trading any of the top guys this rebuild has produced. Something like Dunning/Adolfo/Basabe I'd do but they probably wouldnt. Damn injuries. 

Winker is a great call, but he only bats against righties. 443 OPS against lefties this year in less than 50 ABs. 

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Is there any reason to expect that Nimmo or Conforto will be available?  I don't think I see the Mets selling off.  You could probably get Cespedes for nothing...

Cespedes is done playing baseball.

But yeah, the Mets have a glut of OF. Given team control, they'd probably trade Conforto. The Sox don't have enough to get that done. 

I hate how many times I've said "The Sox don't have enough to get a deal done" over the last decade and a half. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

31 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

I like these options. 

I think Conforto might be out of reach since we won't be trading any of the top guys this rebuild has produced. Something like Dunning/Adolfo/Basabe I'd do but they probably wouldnt. Damn injuries. 

Winker is a great call, but he only bats against righties. 443 OPS against lefties this year in less than 50 ABs. 

The Reds haven't given him a chance.  He has a 16% K rate against lefties so I'm not ready to say he can't hit them.

8 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Is there any reason to expect that Nimmo or Conforto will be available?  I don't think I see the Mets selling off.  You could probably get Cespedes for nothing...

They have a lot of talented outfielders. JD Davis, Jeff McNeil, Michael Conforto, Brandon Nimmo, Dom Smith, Tim Tebow (sorry I had to) and they seem to like Juan Lagares in CF.

Even if they don't keep Lagares in CF and they move McNeil to 3B, that's still 4 starting caliber players for 3 spots, so trading an OF is possible. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

But yeah, the Mets have a glut of OF. Given team control, they'd probably trade Conforto. The Sox don't have enough to get that done. 

I hate how many times I've said "The Sox don't have enough to get a deal done" over the last decade and a half. 

I don't really want to trade any of our prospects unless we can grab a Conforto or Benintendi.  And yea we don't have the disposable ones to pull that off.

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox without a doubt have what it takes to get just about anything done.  They just won't part with what it would require.  These are two different things. 

• Thanks 1

The Sox without a doubt have what it takes to get just about anything done.  They just won't part with what it would require.  These are two different things. 

I meant disposable prospects right now. They could trade for nearly anyone with some of the talent they have. It would be asinine though. 

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I meant disposable prospects right now. They could trade for nearly anyone with some of the talent they have. It would be asinine though

I would part with Vaughn for the right young and controllable piece (SP, RF or SS as preferred positions). I wouldn't use the word disposable though. You have to give to get.

8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I would part with Vaughn for the right young and controllable piece (SP, RF or SS as preferred positions). I wouldn't use the word disposable though. You have to give to get.

What I meant by that is guys they can afford to trade without severely hurting their future. 

That being said, T100 guys are starting to hit at such a high clip that it's pretty much impossible to move them. In a decade or so it's going to get to a point where Chris Sale in 2016 is untradeable because giving up Moncada and Kopech doesn't make sense. Eventually, star players are only going to be able to be moved in the final year of their deals. Minor league scouting has become too good. Amateur drafting is less volatile than it used to be, but still pretty volatile. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, poppysox said:

What don't you like about Puig?  Just trying to understand where people are coming from.  Seems like others share that view.

he's an ok player but everyone remembers him lighting up the league his first year so they think of him as far better than he is. Since his first year, his OPS is right around .800, this year it's only .767, which is below average for a RF. His defense is average at best. This year he's literally 1 win, below average player according to baseball-reference's version which is the only one I have open. He doesn't balance out our RH/LH hitting issue where Moncada and Collins are the only lefties available for the roster. 

If you sign him for a small amount that's ok, but anything more than Avi Garcia money and you're signing him out of the hopes that he has better in him. 

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What I meant by that is guys they can afford to trade without severely hurting their future. 

That being said, T100 guys are starting to hit at such a high clip that it's pretty much impossible to move them. In a decade or so it's going to get to a point where Chris Sale in 2016 is untradeable because giving up Moncada and Kopech doesn't make sense. Eventually, star players are only going to be able to be moved in the final year of their deals. Minor league scouting has become too good. Amateur drafting is less volatile than it used to be, but still pretty volatile. 

I disagree.  Teams that are ready to win are going to make moves to win.  You have to think long term, but when a team is in their window where they can win, if that is their ultimate goal, they have to make moves that improve them in the short term even if it hurts them in the long term.