2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Baseball is really random though. The best way to win a world series is to give yourself as many playoff appearances as you can. Think long term in baseball is actually how you get yourself closer to winning a championship. The more playoff appearances the better. Once you get there it's a crapshoot. 

I agree with this completely. I'm looking at the last decade of WS Champions and participants and see a bunch of worthy teams, and a bunch of worthy teams who flame out. There are a lot of talented teams but only one can win, and unlike football and basketball, one player can't entirely control your fate. The pitcher comes close but they are defensive players and don't score. 

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I agree with this completely. I'm looking at the last decade of WS Champions and participants and see a bunch of worthy teams, and a bunch of worthy teams who flame out. There are a lot of talented teams but only one can win, and unlike football and basketball, one player can't entirely control your fate. The pitcher comes close but they are defensive players and don't score. 

For example, the Cubs in 2016 and 2017 would have been better off if they went and bought a closer and another SP, rather than trading for them. Trading players should be off the table unless you're opening a spot for a blocked player in the minors. And then you should look for old fashioned baseball trades. You don't trade prospects like Jimenez and Torres. Ever. I'm glad the Sox were able to take advantage of suckers. Also, the Red Sox didn't even have Sale past July last year and they still won the whole thing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, I’m good with those 2 and then sign a big FA pitcher and trade for another

Cole/Strasburg would be my dream scenario for the top guy, but I would be fine with Wheeler.

The guy I would love to add as the second guy is Archer. There is a chance the Pirates will go into teardown mode and won’t even pick up his option.

9 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Reading up on potential players on the block it seems like Kevin Kiermaier could be available with his contract becoming more expensive. He will cost a fortune prospect wise but him and Robert manning the OF would be awesome to watch.

He would be my second favorite acquisition after Anderson. He isn't as utter worldly as he once was but he is still an outstanding outfielder. Even when he turns 30 next season there is no reason to think he won't age gracefully moving over to RF. 

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

He would be my second favorite acquisition after Anderson. He isn't as utter worldly as he once was but he is still an outstanding outfielder. Even when he turns 30 next season there is no reason to think he won't age gracefully moving over to RF. 

Hard disagree on Kiermaier, his offenisve numbers took a dive the last two years into basically becoming unplayable as an everyday player and he is always hurt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Except the 2 years in the AL where he had a combined 4 WAR. Not great but would look amazing on this team in RF.

2 WAR type of player would solve massive hole.  Would work but could probably do better.

Edited by poppysox

9 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Hard disagree on Kiermaier, his offenisve numbers took a dive the last two years into basically becoming unplayable as an everyday player and he is always hurt.

His numbers are actually a bit worse this year than I thought admittedly but his value has always been his glove. You hope the Sox have enough bats throughtout (Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Madrigal, Timmy, future Vaughn, etc.) to help offset his until you find someone better. I would like the Sox to have more than 3 guys next season who are above average defensively (plus it would be fun to see Robert and Kiermaier catch everything out there from right center on). 

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Saw someone suggest Benitendi. Wonder what it would take? Would you part with Colome, Lopez and Rutherford? Would that be enough?

That was me, because BoSox were allegedly shopping him.

I wouldn't give up Lopez, I would do Dunning, Sheets, ++ though.  Probably not nearly enough.

57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think the Cubs hate the Chapman trade. Not only was it dumb, it was a ridiculous overpayment. I'm not sure the Red Sox are happy about the Sale deal either. 

Given how the Cubs played in the playoffs and Chapman's weirdness, they probably would have won regardless. I'm sure the Red Sox would rather have Moncada and Kopech as well, as would the Nationals with Giolito and Lopez. 

What?  Yeah.  I'm sure the Cubs would throw away their first championship in what was it 111 years or something?  Based on their weirdness, and their completely ineffective bullpen, I'm not sure they win the NLDS matchup without Chapman.  And in a WS that went extra innings on 7 games, taking their best reliever out of the mix, and really their only effective one, would have resulted in disaster, I think at least.  

I think it would have to be really really extreme to be an overpay for a WS title.  

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That was me, because BoSox were allegedly shopping him.

I wouldn't give up Lopez, I would do Dunning, Sheets, ++ though.  Probably not nearly enough.

His numbers have become pretty pedestrian.  He isn't worth much more than your suggested Dunning / Sheets offer IMO.  Boston & NY players get hyped beyond reality very often.

16 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Fair point on injury but he’s a lefty bat and is still a .240/15/20 player this season and could give you 3 WAR by just being even a below average offensive player. Maybe the injury concerns and the increasing salary would knock the asking price down a notch or two.

11 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

What?  Yeah.  I'm sure the Cubs would throw away their first championship in what was it 111 years or something?  Based on their weirdness, and their completely ineffective bullpen, I'm not sure they win the NLDS matchup without Chapman.  And in a WS that went extra innings on 7 games, taking their best reliever out of the mix, and really their only effective one, would have resulted in disaster, I think at least.  

I think it would have to be really really extreme to be an overpay for a WS title.  

Did you forget that Chapman damn near blew game 7 for the Cubs? And they ransacked the NL that year. Also, if the Indians had a decent SP other than Kluber that would have been over in 5 games. Carrasco, Salazar and Bauer all got hurt. Hell if Bauer doesn't slice open his right hand fixing his drone they probably lose.

It was incredible luck, just like Colon being unavailable for the Angels and Clemens getting hurt for the Astros helped the Sox in 05. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Did you forget that Chapman damn near blew game 7 for the Cubs? And they ransacked the NL that year. Also, if the Indians had a decent SP other than Kluber that would have been over in 5 games. Carrasco, Salazar and Bauer all got hurt. Hell if Bauer doesn't slice open his right hand fixing his drone they probably lose.

It was incredible luck, just like Colon being unavailable for the Angels and Clemens getting hurt for the Astros helped the Sox in 05. 

No I didn't.  Did you forget that he was completely overused the entirety of the playoffs?  Do you think that may have had anything to do with it?  Oh, and he was overused because he was their only reliable reliever.  

I don't know what you mean by they ransacked the NL.  In that DS, the Cubs won 3 one run games.  Seems like an elite reliever would help in those games.