2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Wanne said:

geezus

It just makes you hate the Alonso and Jay acquisitions even more ( something I thought was impossible.), They could've kept Avi for what they paid Jay. How does a rebuilding team do that ? Sign a 34 yr old slow as hell OF  who then proceeds to hardly play and give up on a then 27 yr old guy who just the year before hit .330 and has a great arm in right and is pretty fast to boot.

I understand the non tender but they still could've negotiated with him and gave him a slightly better incentive laden deal  the way TB did and also give  an option year since the minor league OF's were still a couple years away.

I know the vast majority wanted him gone but turns out I was right arguing after the season exactly what I said here, non tender then resign.

Hey here's a name I haven't seen mentioned though he doesn't have much pop so starting OF is probably out but as a quality supersub probably one of the best around, Brock Holt.

He's missed a lot of time this year and will be a FA. He's lefty can play 3rd, 2nd, 1st, SS and OF. When he has played he's been hitting very well and the last couple years has really learned to take walks so his OBP has been good too. He's kind of in the same old as my Scooter Gennett suggestion. Gennett is a bit younger and both have had injuries this year but where Gennett has struggled at the plate , Holt has shined in his limited appearances. Gennett definitely has a lot more pop and had some nice years in 2017 and 2018. I ilke them both along with Corey Dickerson.

None of them should be prohibitively expensive and the  bench could use an upgrade. Yolmer isn't the answer and Leury isn't either.

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It just makes you hate the Alonso and Jay acquisitions even more ( something I thought was impossible.), They could've kept Avi for what they paid Jay. How does a rebuilding team do that ? Sign a 34 yr old slow as hell OF  who then proceeds to hardly play and give up on a then 27 yr old guy who just the year before hit .330 and has a great arm in right and is pretty fast to boot.

I understand the non tender but they still could've negotiated with him and gave him a slightly better incentive laden deal  the way TB did and also give  an option year since the minor league OF's were still a couple years away.

I know the vast majority wanted him gone but turns out I was right arguing after the season exactly what I said here, non tender then resign.

They only signed Jay because they thought having him would give the Sox a better chance of landing Machado. They didn't sign him on his own merits.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wanne said:

You'd think at some point the Yankees are gonna do something with Clint Frazier...no?  kid's gotta be gettin' frustrated.

PASS.  The Sox really need a RF that isn't awful defensively.  Ideally, he also hits left handed.  If he doesn't hit left handed, Sox are going to need to find a lefty masher at 1B or DH, and frankly, there aren't any on the FA market.  

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know that, you know that, the world knows that, but Hahn said otherwise.

Of course he did.  He's never going to say "yah, we signed Jon Jay just so Manny had another buddy in the clubhouse".  To expect him to essentially shit on someone he just signed is silly.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Of course he did.  He's never going to say "yah, we signed Jon Jay just so Manny had another buddy in the clubhouse".  To expect him to essentially shit on someone he just signed is silly.

Did I say he should have said anything else ? But its just the total idiocy of the whole situation. Stop sticking up for the guy.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Did I say he should have said anything else ? But its just the total idiocy of the whole situation. Stop sticking up for the guy.

Lol, wat?  Your "...but Hahn said otherwise" comment pretty clearly states you felt he should have said something else.

I am welcome to stick up for the guy if I want.  Hahn's record on the field is putrid as a GM, but he is the guy that has built what appears to be one of the best young cores in baseball.  I am willing to be patient and allow the man a little more time to put finishing touches on the roster.  It was pretty obvious to me that 2019 was a year too early. This season didn't change anything for me, other than being 1 year closer to primetime. If this offseason goes awry, I will lose said patience.  

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, wat?  Your "...but Hahn said otherwise" comment pretty clearly states you felt he should have said something else.

I am welcome to stick up for the guy if I want.  Hahn's record on the field is putrid as a GM, but he is the guy that has built what appears to be one of the best young cores in baseball.  I am willing to be patient and allow the man a little more time to put finishing touches on the roster.  It was pretty obvious to me that 2019 was a year too early. This season didn't change anything for me, other than being 1 year closer to primetime. If this offseason goes awry, I will lose said patience.  

Look you would have to be an idiot to think he'd say anything else and I am not an idiot. No it was just me commenting on how absurd the whole situation was . just stating a fact . I said nothing at all about what he should have said.

Giving Hahn credit for knowing who the best prospects in baseball were when he made the trades holds no weight with me.

I like that you have faith that he can finish off the rebuild. I mean what choice do we have ? And there is talent  and it's possible Reinsdorf and company don't screw it up.. but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Look you would have to be an idiot to think he'd say anything else and I am not an idiot. No it was just me commenting on how absurd the whole situation was . just stating a fact . I said nothing at all about what he should have said.

Giving Hahn credit for knowing who the best prospects in baseball were when he made the trades holds no weight with me.

I like that you have faith that he can finish off the rebuild. I mean what choice do we have ? And there is talent  and it's possible Reinsdorf and company don't screw it up.. but I wouldn't bet on it.

Fair enough. Skepticism is warranted.  

A whole lot of pickiness going on in this thread...we haven’t had a competent lineup in years and we are apparently most worried about plus D and handiness? Don’t get me wrong, I fully understand the importance of defense...but can we just get some good major league hitters please? Compile talent and figure out the fine details later

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You know what's really worrying me right now? It's the feeling like they're falling back into old habits. What have been my complaints for years with this team? That they haven't coached guys on fundamentals, their minor league system is basically lazy, they haven't drilled guys enough, they just expect people to figure things out on their own. Last night, key baserunning blunder by guys who should know better - not by the rookies. Anderson had 3 errors in June, and has had 8 since he came back at the end of July. The team brings in "analytics people" and then the manager tells the team to F*** off with those suggestions publicly without being fired for saying F*** off to a program his bosses should be working with.

Go ahead and believe I'm too panicky about this, it would just be really nice to see competitive baseball again next year and there's enough here that they could make good signings and still have their poor fundamentals and poor coaching and lack of leadership sabotage their season.

Maybe the Jay and Alonso moves were correct.  All they had was Palka to fill two positions right?  They had no veteran leadership for these kids.  Maybe they thought between Palka Alonso and Jay they’d cover RF and DH.  Well it went to shit but it never really mattered if they performed because this year was meaningless anyway.  They needed Ivan Nova type guys to cover ABs just like IP.  Somebody has to play every day  

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Maybe the Jay and Alonso moves were correct.  All they had was Palka to fill two positions right?  They had no veteran leadership for these kids.  Maybe they thought between Palka Alonso and Jay they’d cover RF and DH.  Well it went to shit but it never really mattered if they performed because this year was meaningless anyway.  They needed Ivan Nova type guys to cover ABs just like IP.  Somebody has to play every day  

If that was the case (it wasn't), the fact that they knew they needed to fill those positions and then did such an awful job of filling them does not raise one's confidence. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

these crazy, stupid stats for our DH and RF positions actually make me more optimistic. It’s clear where the changes need to be made in order to maximize production.

Yeah, the silver lining is that finding guys who are even a game or two above replacement level would be a huge upgrade.  Then plug in Robert in CF, Madrigal at 2B, and sign a TOR starter and we're all set....  

Edited by bighurt574