2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

On 9/5/2019 at 11:32 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Did I say he should have said anything else ? But its just the total idiocy of the whole situation. Stop sticking up for the guy.

We have a good offseason and compete for the playoffs in 2020 or I will join the lynch mob.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's Kole Calhoun. He's the odd man out with the Angels, and Stone was singing his praises last series. Calls him a big bat, GG quality fielder. A bit of a stretch but whatever.

Calhoun is fine on a 1 year deal as like the 5th most significant addition.  If its him and Abreu, we're in for another losing season.  

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Calhoun is fine on a 1 year deal as like the 5th most significant addition.  If its him and Abreu, we're in for another losing season.  

What if is something like Abreu (almost feels like a lock he comes back, but I would prefer he DH'd if we couldn't sign someone else), JDM to DH, a starting pitcher (Cole/Strasburg, but probably someone in next group), Calhoun, and a couple of relievers?

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If it is him and Abreu, I think that is ok in the offensive side.   I think, and it isn't a world shattering opinion, but I think they really need to add a high level SP.  I kind of doubt they will though.  In which case, we have to pray that Kopech is everything that his potential hints at.  

But adding Madrigal, Robert and Calhoun (as well as new look Collins) to this offense would certainly make it more interesting.  

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

What if is something like Abreu (almost feels like a lock he comes back, but I would prefer he DH'd if we couldn't sign someone else), JDM to DH, a starting pitcher (Cole/Strasburg, but probably someone in next group), Calhoun, and a couple of relievers?

I'd be good with that.  Do think we need 2 SP - fine with one being backend type.  

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd be good with that.  Do think we need 2 SP - fine with one being backend type.  

Yeah, they need someone to cover the first 10 weeks of the season while Kopech is in AAA. Let me see what the options are, I'll get back to everyone. 

Best options are Wood, Wacha and if healthy Matt Moore on the cheap side. Pineda is no longer an option for the Sox due to his suspension. 

If the guy they sign performs, they can move him for some prospect depth at the TDL. 

As for RF, I'm down for a Luis Gonzalez or Blake Rutherford for Nomar Mazara swap. I don't think they'd (the Rangers) get much better than that. 

Mazara has been pretty average but he's only a month older than Moncada. There is still upside there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

33 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Give me JDM or Grandal to DH, Calhoun or similar quality stopgap for RF, one starter a tier below Cole/Strasburg, and one backend innings eating starter to go with a few pen arms and I'll be happy.  Anything less will be a disappointment IMO

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, they need someone to cover the first 10 weeks of the season while Kopech is in AAA. Let me see what the options are, I'll get back to everyone. 

Best options are Wood, Wacha and if healthy Matt Moore on the cheap side. Pineda is no longer an option for the Sox due to his suspension. 

If the guy they sign performs, they can move him for some prospect depth at the TDL. 

As for RF, I'm down for a Luis Gonzalez or Blake Rutherford for Nomar Mazara swap. I don't think they'd (the Rangers) get much better than that. 

Mazara has been pretty average but he's only a month older than Moncada. There is still upside there. 

Yah, I'd definitely prefer Mazara to the FA options honestly.

15 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Give me JDM or Grandal to DH, Calhoun or similar quality stopgap for RF, one starter a tier below Cole/Strasburg, and one backend innings eating starter to go with a few pen arms and I'll be happy.  Anything less will be a disappointment IMO

Yeah it would be the most pumped and optimistic I would be for a season since...I can't even remember.

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No reason right now to think that Kopech won't be in the opening day rotation.  He'll work with the starters in spring training from day 1, build his arm strength back up just like them, and be good to go at the end of March.

4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

No reason right now to think that Kopech won't be in the opening day rotation.  He'll work with the starters in spring training from day 1, build his arm strength back up just like them, and be good to go at the end of March.

Hahn has made comments alluding to Kopech starting in AAA. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What if the only three free agents we signed were Calhoun, Cole, and Abreu? Would you guys be happy? In other words, if you could lock that in right now, would you? 

I would want another bat.  They can't go into next season w/o addressing either black hole in the lineup.  Calhoun is an adequate stopgap if they address DH IMO.

Moncada stays at third and Madigal at second. That is pretty much set in stone. Likewise, TA will be our shortstop for the next several years. He has the talent to make difficult plays and the discipline to cut down on errors on routine plays.  TA's one handed picks are often unnecessary . That is a technique that he can change.  Plus he may be the AL batting champion this season, so he gets a lot of latitude for his defense.

The Scouting reports indicated that Vaughn's bat was almost major league ready. If they were right then maybe he comes up as a DH next season.

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What if the only three free agents we signed were Calhoun, Cole, and Abreu? Would you guys be happy? In other words, if you could lock that in right now, would you? 

Yes for sure. I’ll take 1 elite player over “depth” this offseason 10x over

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

And not appearing in live games for like 18 months is kind of a big deal. I think he needs more than Spring Training.

Shaun Marcum had TJ in September, 2008.  He pitched 195 innings for the Blue Jays in 2010.

Stephen Strasburg had TJ in September, 2010.  He pitched 159 innings for the Nationals in 2012.

If the Sox front office believed Kopech was MLB-ready when they called him up, then he doesn't need to go back to the minors.  He'd need a short minor-league rehab if he was coming back mid-season, but spring training will serve the same purpose in this case.

13 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Am I allowed to add a reliever or two and a 6th starter? 

Generally I'm pretty thrilled with that, but there's some depth missing.

6 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I would want another bat.  They can't go into next season w/o addressing either black hole in the lineup.  Calhoun is an adequate stopgap if they address DH IMO.

Of course. I’d want another bat and another arm as well. But if you had the option to take only those three right now, you would decline it and let the off-season play out as it may?

If the Sox made the decision that they'd acquire zero position players this offseason, focus solely on pitching, and then spend their entire position player budget on Mookie Betts after next year would anyone be mad?

I don't think that happens, but if you want to know a guy I'd give 350+ million to its Mookie Betts.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Shaun Marcum had TJ in September, 2008.  He pitched 195 innings for the Blue Jays in 2010.

Stephen Strasburg had TJ in September, 2010.  He pitched 159 innings for the Nationals in 2012.

If the Sox front office believed Kopech was MLB-ready when they called him up, then he doesn't need to go back to the minors.  He'd need a short minor-league rehab if he was coming back mid-season, but spring training will serve the same purpose in this case.

It's worth noting that both those guys pitched a good number of big league innings before they were hurt, Kopech has not. If Kopech comes out in ST and is dominating people, I won't be mad if he breaks camp with the big league team. However, in 2018, Kopech struggled with his control a lot during the first half and only snapped out of it at the end of June following something like a 7 walk/4 IP game. Because of his inexperience he may be a guy that needs more time to find a rhythm.

In either case, we still need to know who the 6th starter is because if Kopech stops at 150 innings or they give him a short break to conserve his innings, we need that extra option to fill in.

• Like 1