2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Am I allowed to add a reliever or two and a 6th starter? 

Generally I'm pretty thrilled with that, but there's some depth missing.

For the sake of this hypothetical, either take only those three or let it play out. I’d want more depth as well, but I’d take that in a heartbeat. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If the Sox made the decision that they'd acquire zero position players this offseason, focus solely on pitching, and then spend their entire position player budget on Mookie Betts after next year would anyone be mad?

I don't think that happens, but if you want to know a guy I'd give 350+ million to its Mookie Betts.

Yeah, that would be cool.

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Of course. I’d want another bat and another arm as well. But if you had the option to take only those three right now, you would decline it and let the off-season play out as it may?

I would def take Cole locked up long term and hope the other additions provide enough offense.

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If the Sox made the decision that they'd acquire zero position players this offseason, focus solely on pitching, and then spend their entire position player budget on Mookie Betts after next year would anyone be mad?

I don't think that happens, but if you want to know a guy I'd give 350+ million to its Mookie Betts.

I would genuinely be disappointed if they went into next season with Leury/Cordell/Palka as their Right Field options. Right now, I don't know that this team will be competitive next year, but I also don't know they won't be. But I'm pretty darn certain that if those are our RF options, they won't be competitive no matter what. 

I am ok with a cheap 1 year stopgap, but I need another RF.

2 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

If you add Cole and 2 WAR at DH and RF the White Sox get 15 games better.  This doesn't even take into account Robert and Madrigal and Cease and ReyLo improving.  

We have 25 wins less than the Twins.  The 15 game improvement you mention plus Robert, Madrigal, Cease, Kopech and whatever Dunning and Rodon get you.  I fully expect to compete next year.

While trying to put a wicked offensive team, it seems nobody, including Kenny, thinks of Moncada as the right fielder.  This would be the resulting upshot of acquiring Rendon.  Now, commence eye-rolling.  But Jerry has the money.  Maybe he is a little embarrassed about last off-season.  That to me, would take care of the starting 8.  You'd think that given Moncada's speed, arm and athleticism, he would have a pretty high defensive ceiling.  You would expect tracking problems to begin with, that would undoubtedly diminish over time.  As far as it affecting his hitting, I think he has arrived. 

17 minutes ago, ottawa_sox said:

While trying to put a wicked offensive team, it seems nobody, including Kenny, thinks of Moncada as the right fielder.  This would be the resulting upshot of acquiring Rendon.  Now, commence eye-rolling.  But Jerry has the money.  Maybe he is a little embarrassed about last off-season.  That to me, would take care of the starting 8.  You'd think that given Moncada's speed, arm and athleticism, he would have a pretty high defensive ceiling.  You would expect tracking problems to begin with, that would undoubtedly diminish over time.  As far as it affecting his hitting, I think he has arrived. 

I know what you mean about the eye rolling.  Your idea sounds brilliant compared to those who suggested moving Moncada to second an trading Madrigal.  

11 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't understand how one tweets what was supposed to be a DM.

For some reason you have to be careful when tweeting DM's on the phone. I don't know why but the tweets can end up showing up on actual Twitter for everybody to see if you DM with your phone.

Assuming most of the obvious picks are already mentioned 15 pages in....here are some trade possibilities at least...

-- See what the Marlins would give up for 3B/RF Brian Anderson. He's turning in his 2nd straight 3+ fWAR season. His defensive numbers are above average at both 3B and RF. He's got a big arm. 

Of course, he also has 4 years of control left for the 26-year-old, so the Marlins not only have no reason to trade him, but his price tag would likely be high despite ending his 2019 season with a broken finger.

-- Brandon Nimmo would be an interesting bounce-back, buy-low guy. He profiles offensively to a Zack Collins with less power, but more contact. Dude walked 15% last year and 19.6% this year. That's the highest of anyone in baseball with at least 150 PA. Funny enough, Zack Collins also has walked 19.6% this year, except Collins has a 43.1% K rate to Nimmo's 29.6%, and Nimmo is hitting .099 points higher. Nimmo is a LHH, should be available in that crowded OF in NYM, and has 3 years of control left. Shouldn't be that hard to acquire.

-- Absolutely 0 reason for the A's to trade Ramón Laureano, but they are so fucking goofy in the way they are ran, maybe they would move him for a package around someone like Reynaldo Lopez + Steele Walker + others. 

24 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Absolutely 0 reason for the A's to trade Ramón Laureano, but they are so fucking goofy in the way they are ran, maybe they would move him for a package around someone like Reynaldo Lopez + Steele Walker + others. 

I know you put the qualifier in there, but why the hell would the Sox trade Lopez, Walker, + when Luis Robert is going to be up the second week of the season who probably has a floor of around 2 WAR?  That just doesn't make sense.

Not really sold on Nimmo either.  If they are going to give up prospects for an OF it has to be a young, slugging, LHH. If that isn't available then you just give up money in FA for a slugging RF.

3 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I know you put the qualifier in there, but why the hell would the Sox trade Lopez, Walker, + when Luis Robert is going to be up the second week of the season who probably has a floor of around 2 WAR?  That just doesn't make sense.

Not really sold on Nimmo either.  If they are going to give up prospects for an OF it has to be a young, slugging, LHH. If that isn't available then you just give up money in FA for a slugging RF.

Nimmo isn’t a young, slugging, LHH?

6 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

We need LHH period, not just slugger types. The bigger need is someone who could lead off and get on base (his OBP is .375 with a .208 BA for pete's sake). Nimmo fits all those criteria and plays all 3 OF positions. I don't see what's not to like if we could buy low on him.

56 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

We need LHH period, not just slugger types. The bigger need is someone who could lead off and get on base (his OBP is .375 with a .208 BA for pete's sake). Nimmo fits all those criteria and plays all 3 OF positions. I don't see what's not to like if we could buy low on him.

I agree, I like Nimmo. But always hard whether health issues are just a mets thing. 

18 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd be thrilled in late 2020, though it would mean suffering through a full season of teeth-gnashing about the failure to land a RF in 2019 and the chorus of "this front office has never signed Mookie Betts before, what makes us think they'll sign Mookie Betts now?" 

16 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Other than Dunning, I like the Sox chances of developing a Adolfo/Walker/Basabe/etc. for RF in a year or so than finding another quality SP in that regard. 

Adolfo is going to be a legit major league outfielder.  Whether that is in 2020 or 2023 - not sure.  Assuming Sox get that option year back as Hahn mentioned, they have until Opening Day 2022 to add him to the 25 man roster.    

Would love for us to target a LH hitter(s) w/pop, ideally one who gives us positional flexibility. Without researching (sorry) contract situations, guys I would consider include Gregorious, Benintendi, Joc Pederson and Nimmo. Nimmo is particulary interesting due to age and yrs. of control. Maybe we can work a trade w/Mets, possibly to include Matz.  

19 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Just a thought. I think on most teams, he can be the CF if both sides think that is best. He is only in RF because Bradley is better.  But I don't think it happens either. I think he stays in Boston or gets traded this winter for a big package. 

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

No.  And he's hurt all the time.  

Nimmo has struggled with injuries, but his career OPS is .822 in over 1,000 plate appearances.  FIWW - that is higher than Manny Machado's career OPS.  The guy is really good, he's a good defender and left handed stick.  The only reason I would imagine he'd potentially be attainable is his injury history the fact that the Mets are already lefty heavy and have a crowded OF mix.  

Nimmo is legitimately exactly what the Sox need in RF.  

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nimmo has struggled with injuries, but his career OPS is .822 in over 1,000 plate appearances.  FIWW - that is higher than Manny Machado's career OPS.  The guy is really good, he's a good defender and left handed stick.  The only reason I would imagine he'd potentially be attainable is his injury history the fact that the Mets are already lefty heavy and have a crowded OF mix.  

Nimmo is legitimately exactly what the Sox need in RF.  

I would rather the White Sox not gamble with our limited tradeable prospects with a guy that has averaged under 80 games a year in 4 years.  There are probably other guys to be had that are not "upside" type guys.  Also comparing his OPS to Machado's is a goofy take.

20 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You mean sign Betts and then have him play side-by-side next to Robert in the White Sox outfield for the majority of the next decade?  YES, PLEASE!