2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

42 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I am not giving up on Collins. Eye test more than early stats. He looks like a prospect to me. Surely Collins has some supporters who are with me. 10th overall pick in 2016?? He better be good or the draft fans have some explainin' to do.

Yeah I still think he can be a piece, he has a mechanical issue.

40 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's fine. His swing is still long and slow. Maybe he'll figure it out, maybe he won't. But he should have to earn another look in Charlotte. 

This sounds weird to me. Unless we're 100% all in next season, he's demonstrated clearly that he can hit pitching at Charlotte over the last few months including making adjustments. If we're going to sign Grandal and cast Collins aside we may as well trade him, but unless we do that, sending him back to Charlotte isn't going to teach him much when we know he can hit AAA pitching.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's fine. His swing is still long and slow. Maybe he'll figure it out, maybe he won't. But he should have to earn another look in Charlotte. 

He turns 25 in February. Play him now. It'd be ridiculous to wait til his age 26 season to play his first full year. The Sox thought this guy was worthy of the No. 10 pick. Play him now and see if he's good or a bust.

52 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He turns 25 in February. Play him now. It'd be ridiculous to wait til his age 26 season to play his first full year. The Sox thought this guy was worthy of the No. 10 pick. Play him now and see if he's good or a bust.

I agree . Way too many doubters on Collins limited AB's. Sox are in desperate need of LH power and OBP. He can provide both. Give him the time to adjust just like Moncada and Eloy needed that time and probably Robert will also need time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree . Way too many doubters on Collins limited AB's. Sox are in desperate need of LH power and OBP. He can provide both. Give him the time to adjust just like Moncada and Eloy needed that time and probably Robert will also need time.

I don't know why people aren't excited about Collins? So many people on here want to lose and get top draft picks. This is the guy we got at No. 10. He looks like he's Carlton Fisk-like in stature at 6-3, 220. There should be a lot of expectations surrounding him and he should produce big time unless he's a busted draft pick. He's had four years in the minors. I'd rather him start than McCann to tell u the truth. Let him sink or swim. I bet he succeeds.

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I don't know why people aren't excited about Collins? So many people on here want to lose and get top draft picks. This is the guy we got at No. 10. He looks like he's Carlton Fisk-like in stature at 6-3, 220. There should be a lot of expectations surrounding him and he should produce big time unless he's a busted draft pick. He's had four years in the minors. I'd rather him start than McCann to tell u the truth. Let him sink or swim. I bet he succeeds.

Stop trolling.

18 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Corey Dickerson is done for the season with a fractured left foot.  Do you try to sign him cheaply in the offseason and do you avoid him because he seems quite injury prone?

He's hurt way too much.  I also don't like he's hit over 25 HR only once.  If you could get him cheap enough to be a 4th OF type sure but not as a starter.

54 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Corey Dickerson is done for the season with a fractured left foot.  Do you try to sign him cheaply in the offseason and do you avoid him because he seems quite injury prone?

Nothing about the guy seems overly exciting. Unfortunately, there isn't too many options out there to pick from and he'd still be a pretty big upgrade considering what's been out there the past few seasons. 

some far outside the box thinking:  Ben Zobrist on a one year deal.  He'd be a placeholder who provides lots of veteran leadership.  He played over 100 games as a corner OF for the Cubs last year.  He switch hits, doesn't strike out and gets on base better than anyone one the team currently.  My guess is he wants the stability of staying in Chicago and would probably come cheap. 

I wonder, I just wonder, if there's any possibility, however remote, that Andrew Benintendi could possibly be made available this offseason.  

He's arbitration-eligible after this season, and with all of the talk about possibly having to shed the likes of Martinez and Betts to get out from under the luxury tax, maybe Benintendi and his upcoming arbitration salaries might put him in the mix of possible salaries they'd consider shedding.  

He's a great defensive outfielder, and so one would imagine the great defense he plays in left is portable and could be transplanted to right.  You can't have enough great defense!

He also is coming off a slightly down year, so maybe the price tag to acquire him wouldn't be what it would have been a year or two ago. 

He was selected by Boston in the draft with the pick right before our Sox' pick, and there were rumors that the Pale Hose would have selected him had he still been on the board.  

Haven't heard his name being bandied about in any trade rumors or anything like that, and it would still take a lot to get him, but he is a fun name to consider in this search for a right field option!

22 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I wonder, I just wonder, if there's any possibility, however remote, that Andrew Benintendi could possibly be made available this offseason.  

He's arbitration-eligible after this season, and with all of the talk about possibly having to shed the likes of Martinez and Betts to get out from under the luxury tax, maybe Benintendi and his upcoming arbitration salaries might put him in the mix of possible salaries they'd consider shedding.  

He's a great defensive outfielder, and so one would imagine the great defense he plays in left is portable and could be transplanted to right.  You can't have enough great defense!

He also is coming off a slightly down year, so maybe the price tag to acquire him wouldn't be what it would have been a year or two ago. 

He was selected by Boston in the draft with the pick right before our Sox' pick, and there were rumors that the Pale Hose would have selected him had he still been on the board.  

Haven't heard his name being bandied about in any trade rumors or anything like that, and it would still take a lot to get him, but he is a fun name to consider in this search for a right field option!

He was being shopped allegedly before the deadline.  

34 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

The trick continues to be that I don't want to give up much to fill this position when I have a ton of money available but not a lot of spare, mid-level talent in my system. 

Benintendi is a guy who has been a 2-4 win player in B-R numbers and who will not be a free agent for 3 more seasons. Even a decent player who is that far from FA will command a high price. Would you give up Vaughn or Madrigal as a key guy in a deal like that? I sure hope the answer is no.

Outside of them (and obviously excluding Robert, Kopech, Cease, Jimenez, etc), we have no one in our system who counts as a top 100 guy. Packaging like 4 guys outside the top 100 - Collins, Rutherford, Adolfo, and Stiever - does that really get the Red Sox to move him? I'm not sure, and I really don't want to give up so many different guys to get a solid player when I can just sign a solid player as a free agent.

59 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

some far outside the box thinking:  Ben Zobrist on a one year deal.  He'd be a placeholder who provides lots of veteran leadership.  He played over 100 games as a corner OF for the Cubs last year.  He switch hits, doesn't strike out and gets on base better than anyone one the team currently.  My guess is he wants the stability of staying in Chicago and would probably come cheap. 

That is out of the box and actually pretty interesting. This club can use a few high BB IQ guys and Zobrist might rub off on a few of our talented dunces.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The trick continues to be that I don't want to give up much to fill this position when I have a ton of money available but not a lot of spare, mid-level talent in my system. 

Benintendi is a guy who has been a 2-4 win player in B-R numbers and who will not be a free agent for 3 more seasons. Even a decent player who is that far from FA will command a high price. Would you give up Vaughn or Madrigal as a key guy in a deal like that? I sure hope the answer is no.

Outside of them (and obviously excluding Robert, Kopech, Cease, Jimenez, etc), we have no one in our system who counts as a top 100 guy. Packaging like 4 guys outside the top 100 - Collins, Rutherford, Adolfo, and Stiever - does that really get the Red Sox to move him? I'm not sure, and I really don't want to give up so many different guys to get a solid player when I can just sign a solid player as a free agent.

I'd consider giving a package of Lopez, Colome and either Rutherford or Collins. Boston would have to consider it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Flash said:

I'd consider giving a package of Lopez, Colome and either Rutherford or Collins. Boston would have to consider it.

One obvious problem - Colome's salary next year is going to be higher than Benintendi. A deal where they are taking on money actually makes their luxury tax bill higher.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I just hope Sox aren’t too dead set on a lefty RF. Sterling Marte would be a great fit if the Pirates look to blow things up.

I hope they aren’t too worried about specifics with any position. Assemble talent and figure it out from there. We aren’t nearly close enough to anything to be that picky.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I just hope Sox aren’t too dead set on a lefty RF. Sterling Marte would be a great fit if the Pirates look to blow things up.

The Sox don't need any more slap hitters. They need hitters that can put the ball in the seats.  The Sox are 3rd worst in the AL in team HR only ahead of the Royals and Tigers, and 26th in baseball with 168 HR. The worst has 130 for comparison and the best has 289. 

Also, the Sox are dead last in the AL in walks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman