2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I'd consider giving a package of Lopez, Colome and either Rutherford or Collins. Boston would have to consider it.

If you are trading Lopez, Rutherford and Collins, three major pieces in the tank/rebuild as well as Colome, one of the only reliable bullpen arms on the team ... seems like it's silly and you ought to just order quicksand for the outfield surface. You are just shuffling bodies around year after year. Might as well sink the franchise or move the team. At some point, win with the guys who you tanked for.

Just give up cause it's obvious your team can't develop players if you are willing to trade 'em all.

Edited by greg775

25 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If you are trading Lopez, Rutherford and Collins, three major pieces in the tank/rebuild as well as Colome, one of the only reliable bullpen arms on the team ... seems like it's silly and you ought to just order quicksand for the outfield surface. You are just shuffling bodies around year after year. Might as well sink the franchise or move the team. At some point, win with the guys who you tanked for.

Just give up cause it's obvious your team can't develop players if you are willing to trade 'em all.

The point of a rebuild is to amass as much young talent as possible. Later trading some of that talent is pretty common place. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the Sox looking to trade prospects for a piece that will get us over the top sooner rather than later. 

Yoan

TA

Kopech

Gio

Robert

Eloy

Cease

Madrigal

Vaughn

Thats the young (hopefully all) elite talent we tanked for. That’s a great core...now the franchise should be using any and all resources to add as much good and proven talent around them as possible. Jerry opening his wallet in free agency is obviously a huge part of that, but it doesn’t have to be, and nor should it be the only way we add talent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The point of a rebuild is to amass as much young talent as possible. Later trading some of that talent is pretty common place. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the Sox looking to trade prospects for a piece that will get us over the top sooner rather than later. 

Yoan

TA

Kopech

Gio

Robert

Eloy

Cease

Madrigal

Vaughn

Thats the young (hopefully all) elite talent we tanked for. That’s a great core...now the franchise should be using any and all resources to add as much good and proven talent around them as possible. Jerry opening his wallet in free agency is obviously a huge part of that, but it doesn’t have to be, and nor should it be the only way we add talent. 

Anderson is obviously part of the core but doesn't have anything to do with rebuilding/tanking.

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

So....when do the Sox start seriously looking at Schwarber? LH power bat I’m told the Sox desperately need, Sox have a hole at DH in 2020, Schwarber is still 26 and arb eligible...and there is seemingly no reason the Cubs won’t be open to moving most of their roster for the right price......

I really think they are going to move 1 of KB, Schwarber, Contreras, or Baez this winter or next.  We'll see.

11 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I really think they are going to move 1 of KB, Schwarber, Contreras, or Baez this winter or next.  We'll see.

I think they're going to move Bryant, Contreras and Schwarber this winter. All three of them. They're going to re-sign Baez and Castellanos, and go from there. I also think Quintana could get traded. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

With the new tv network, they can’t afford to start tearing apart the roster until after next season.

Schwarber is certainly expendable (and getting more expensive for what is essentially a slightly above average DH), but they’ll keep Contreras, Bryant, Baez, Rizzo together as the core for one more shot at it.

The big changes will be managerial and front office-wise.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What you’re proposing is basically a full rebuild.

Ya that's what they need to do. They're done. Tear it down and build it up again. They still have a ton of valuable pieces. They have more to trade than the Sox did in 2016. They can re-open a window within 3-4 seasons if they do it right. 

The question is if they have the balls to do it again. It's the best move for the team long-term. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Ya that's what they need to do. They're done. Tear it down and build it up again. 

So you’re confusing what you think will happen with what you want to happen.  And no idea how they’re done.  They got another two years if they wanted to ride this out to the end.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So you’re confusing what you think will happen with what you want to happen.  And no idea how they’re done.  They got another two years if they wanted to ride this out to the end.

If I were a Cub fan and they didn't have a firesale this winter I'd be livid. They have an aging, expensive team with zero payroll flexibility and topping out at 86 wins.  It's fairly obvious what the correct course of action is. 

The reason why so many teams are tanking is because it works. That being said, the more teams tank the harder it is to actually get it to work. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:38 PM, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yoan

TA

Kopech

Gio

Robert

Eloy

Cease

Madrigal

Vaughn

Not to be negative, but do the same list with the Astros team.Yikes!! I sure hope they lose Gerritt Cole this winter. Plus,

Verlander and Greinke are getting old. With that line up and defense tho, they could probably win 95 games with our pitchers.

6 minutes ago, zisk said:

Not to be negative, but do the same list with the Astros team.Yikes!! I sure hope they lose Gerritt Cole this winter. Plus,

Verlander and Greinke are getting old. With that line up and defense tho, they could probably win 95 games with our pitchers.

Obviously it’s too early to tell for almost all of our list, but I think it’s a pretty damn good list of talent if you ask me. The biggest thing is going to be top of the rotation starters...if Kopech and Cease aren’t what we hope (or at least very close) then yes, we could be in some trouble. 

Realistically a team needs like 12 impact players to make a serious playoff run. 3 starters, 3 bullpen arms (1 LH), and 5 hitters. Obviously the rest of the team has to be at least serviceable, but I don’t think we are too far off from that path of a great core 12 already. But again....at lot still left to prove with our players.

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's shocking how little you follow this sport, given the amount of time you spend here. 

So you say tanking works all the time? I think it's needlessly painful for fans and an excuse for organizations to make a lot of cash. I hate tanking ... sorry. I think it's un-sportsmanlike. You are supposed to try to win.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Tanking doesn’t work?  No great argument?  Cubs, Astros...  you can’t be this clueless can you?

With the money the Cubs have it should never have taken a tank job to win their one WS title in a zillion years. They should be contending like the Yankees and Bo$ox -- every year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

So you say tanking works all the time? I think it's needlessly painful for fans and an excuse for organizations to make a lot of cash. I hate tanking ... sorry. I think it's un-sportsmanlike. You are supposed to try to win.

Do you follow the NFL?  Take a look at what the Dolphins are doing.  Intentionally trying to lose.  Teams do it for the draft picks.  It doesn’t always work but if it didn’t work much of the time, why do you think teams are doing it?

Just now, Tony said:

No one said that, you insufferable troll. 

Many of the premiere organizations in baseball have shown that “tanking” or “rebuilding” leads to a prolonged periods of winning. It’s a fact. Sometimes it fails. But it’s a strategy that has worked for many teams. There is no argument. You not liking it doesn’t mean anything.  

I’m pretty sure another poster called out Greg perfectly as well.  He’s just trolling and gets off on people responding to his ridiculous posts.