2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

So you say tanking works all the time? I think it's needlessly painful for fans and an excuse for organizations to make a lot of cash. I hate tanking ... sorry. I think it's un-sportsmanlike. You are supposed to try to win.

Sports leagues can fix it if they want to. Just throw all non playoff teams names in to a hat and randomly pick the draft order. Stop rewarding teams that lose on purpose. But they won't do that for some reason.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Do you follow the NFL?  Take a look at what the Dolphins are doing.  Intentionally trying to lose.  Teams do it for the draft picks.  It doesn’t always work but if it didn’t work much of the time, why do you think teams are doing it?

The Dolphins have only had one winning season in the last 10 years. Now the media says they are tanking. They are trying to go from lousy to the worst of the lousy. 

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m pretty sure another poster called out Greg perfectly as well.  He’s just trolling and gets off on people responding to his ridiculous posts.

That was me, but unfortunately Greg put me on block for calling him a troll too many times so I’ll never actually get a response.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’m pretty sure another poster called out Greg perfectly as well.  He’s just trolling and gets off on people responding to his ridiculous posts.

Read some of the other posts. Not everybody agrees with the tanking philosophy and not everybody likes advanced stats and the reliance on HRs nowadays. Learn some patience, dissenters. Not everybody has to agree with you. Some of us have different viewpoints, such as El Rockin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That was me, but unfortunately Greg put me on block for calling him a troll too many times so I’ll never actually get a response.

You were right.  He definitely knows what he’s doing.  No one could be that clueless.  😂

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Read some of the other posts. Not everybody agrees with the tanking philosophy and not everybody likes advanced stats and the reliance on HRs nowadays. Learn some patience, dissenters. Not everybody has to agree with you. Some of us have different viewpoints, such as El Rockin.

And what is your suggested alternative?  The Sox were absolutely mediocre for years.  Do 82 win seasons and no playoffs give you a chub?  It wasn’t happening with the Sox old strategy.  They may actually have a chance now.  How could you be upset with that?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

And what is your suggested alternative?  The Sox were absolutely mediocre for years.  Do 82 win seasons and no playoffs get your hard?  It wasn’t happening with the Sox strategy.  They may actually have a chance now.  How could you be upset with that?

Just.Win.Baby.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Not everyone likes the reliance on homers?  Wow.  You had better watch other games than the Sox.  Why the F do you think the Twins are leading the division?  Jeebus man...

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t know why, but I feel like the Sox are going to trade Collins and Fulmer for Mazara this offseason 

I think that they're going to trade for Mazara as well but I think they're going to trade one of Rutherford, Gonzalez, or Basabe and Fulmer for him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Is there some injury or other concern that is preventing Collins from catching every game ?  If not, perhaps the Sox are contemplating a possible trade that could involve Collins and they don't want him to either prove beyond any doubt that he sucks or injure himself before the end of the season.

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t know why, but I feel like the Sox are going to trade Collins and Fulmer for Mazara this offseason 

That's a big no from me.  We still don't know what Collins can be and he's young enough.  We don't have any other legitimate catching prospects in the minors.  He has a good offensive skill set that can be built on.

Fulmer or some of those OF prospects we have for Mazara fine.  But I wouldn't wan't him penciled in as our starting RF.  He just hasn't shown any progress really in the 3 or 4 seasons he's been up.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

29 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That's a big no from me.  We still don't know what Collins can be and he's young enough.  We don't have any other legitimate catching prospects in the minors.  He has a good offensive skill set that can be built on.

Fulmer or some of those OF prospects we have for Mazara fine.  But I wouldn't wan't him penciled in as our starting RF.  He just hasn't shown any progress really in the 3 or 4 seasons he's been up.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of excitement about Collins. He's the 10th pick of Round One for gosh sakes. Our scouts thought he was worthy of that and I'd assume a huge bonus. Play the guy ... and play him a lot next year. If he's a huge bust, somebody in scouting should be fired.

8 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’d be pretty pissed as Mazara hasn’t been good, only has two years of control left (with Boras as his agent), and doesn’t address our OBP problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm a little surprised at the lack of excitement about Collins. He's the 10th pick of Round One for gosh sakes. Our scouts thought he was worthy of that and I'd assume a huge bonus. Play the guy ... and play him a lot next year. If he's a huge bust, somebody in scouting should be fired.

🍖  

32 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I am still intrigued by Gregory Polanco as a bounce back candidate.  I bet Pittsburgh non-tenders him.

Polanco was already signed to an extension.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league-central/pittsburgh-pirates/

Gregory Polanco lf
5 years/$35M (2017-21), plus 2022-23 option

• 5 years/$35M (2017-21), plus 2022-23 club option
    • signed extension with Pittsburgh 4/5/16
    • $3M signing bonus
    • 17:$1M, 18:$3.5M, 19:$5.5M, 20:$8M, 21:$11M, 22:$12.5M club option ($3M buyout), 23:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)
    • price of 2022-23 options may increase by $2M each with escalators based on performance

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Pittsburgh were to fire Huntington, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the GM come in and blow things up a bit.  And honestly, they’d probably give away Polanco for a song.  For me, I’d rather roll the dice on him than Mazara.

A $23 million overall commitment (for at least the next two years) is nothing for Polanco, compared to how we allocated money this offseason.  If he’s a stud, you have him under control for two more seasons through the heart of the contention window.

Of course, it’s the White Sox, so trading Lopez, Fulmer or Collins for Mazara seems 10x more likely.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

A $23 million overall commitment (for at least the next two years) is nothing for Polanco, compared to how we allocated money this offseason.  If he’s a stud, you have him under control for two more seasons through the heart of the contention window.

Of course, it’s the White Sox, so trading Lopez, Fulmer or Collins for Mazara seems 10x more likely.

I'd roll the dice on Polanco as well.