2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Why would the Sox trade for Polanco?  He's like an older Mazara.  Bad.  They should not be going after 1 WAR players and hoping to catch something.

“Should not be” but this is the White Sox front office we are talking about.  They love trying to find the low cost option that has a 10% chance of booming.  Mazara is so up Hahn’s alley it isn’t even funny.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

I wonder what Seattle’s price for Haniger would be? Everyone on that team seems to be available so I’m sure they’d listen. He would make a ton of sense for us in my opinion...I’d offer a package starting with Dunning and Steele Walker. Not sure how close that would be, don’t think it should be too far off given he’s coming off a down year and an injury 

8 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That doesn't mean they should be looking to sign shit players.

There aren't many options. I don't know if Nimmo is actually attainable for what the Sox have to offer. Beyond that the options are: Puig and Calhoun via FA and Mazara and Polanco via trade. Anyone else available wouldn't be better than these guys. There is really slim pickings at RF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There aren't many options. I don't know if Nimmo is actually attainable for what the Sox have to offer. Beyond that the options are: Puig and Calhoun via FA and Mazara and Polanco via trade. Anyone else available wouldn't be better than these guys. There is really slim pickings at RF. 

Ozuna and Castellanos are significantly better hitters than Polanco and Mazara.

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Ozuna and Castellanos are significantly better hitters than Polanco and Mazara.

Ozuna and Castellanos are also not RF. Ozuna has had a bad year, so hard pass, and Castellanos is Eloy in RF. I'm interested in Castellanos, but only as a DH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm a little surprised at the lack of excitement about Collins. He's the 10th pick of Round One for gosh sakes. Our scouts thought he was worthy of that and I'd assume a huge bonus. Play the guy ... and play him a lot next year. If he's a huge bust, somebody in scouting should be fired.

The MLB draft is the biggest crapshoot of all of them. Guys who get taken top 10 suck all the time. Look at Carson Fulmer and Gordon Beckham. Look at Albert Almora. It happens

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ozuna and Castellanos are also not RF. Ozuna has had a bad year, so hard pass, and Castellanos is Eloy in RF. I'm interested in Castellanos, but only as a DH. 

I don't get you sometimes.  You realize Ozuna and Castellanos have more bWAR this year than Mazara has had his entire career combined, but you want to trade for Mazara and not just sign one of those 2. Lol

I have an honest question: is it possible that the Sox lineup next year will be good enough, maybe really good depending on Madrigal and Robert's adaptability to the majors, and having a good RF isn't all that important? I figure 22 pages to discuss a RF seems like overkill.

Edited by soxfan49

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I have an honest question: is it possible that the Sox lineup next year will be good enough, maybe really good depending on Madrigal and Robert's adaptability to the majors, and having a good RF isn't all that important? I figure 22 pages to discuss a RF seems like overkill.

RF was a massive hole this year.  Avisail Garcia would have improved it a huge amount.  Why would you not try to strengthen your team as much as possible?  The Sox have the money to spend.

43 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The MLB draft is the biggest crapshoot of all of them. Guys who get taken top 10 suck all the time. Look at Carson Fulmer and Gordon Beckham. Look at Albert Almora. It happens

Or Burger and Courtney Hawkins (13).

Sale was 13th.

Broadway, Brian Anderson, Joe Borchard, Jason Stumm, Jason Dellaero, Bobby Seay....those are the other Sox first round names between present-day in the 10-15 range until you find ROBIN VENTURA picked 10th out of Oklahoma State in 1988 as a consensus All-American/Golden Spikes winner.

So two borderline HoFers in Chris Sale/Ventura and 8 busts.

2/10 is hugely successful for that section of the draft.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or Burger and Courtney Hawkins (13).

Sale was 13th.

Broadway, Brian Anderson, Joe Borchard, Jason Stumm, Jason Dellaero, Bobby Seay....those are the other Sox first round names between present-day in the 10-15 range until you find ROBIN VENTURA picked 10th out of Oklahoma State in 1988 as a consensus All-American/Golden Spikes winner.

So two borderline HoFers in Chris Sale/Ventura and 8 busts.

2/10 is hugely successful for that section of the draft.

And I didn't even mean the Sox. Look all over the league. High picks bust regularly.

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

RF was a massive hole this year.  Avisail Garcia would have improved it a huge amount.  Why would you not try to strengthen your team as much as possible?  The Sox have the money to spend.

Of course, but in my hypothetical it was that the offense is good or really good. Why not use that money for pitching?

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Of course, but in my hypothetical it was that the offense is good or really good. Why not use that money for pitching?

I think the offense will be much better with the additions of Robert and Madrigal but they should still have enough money for both a RF and pitching and it will be a disappointment if they don’t acquire both.  Their payroll will be minuscule going into the offseason.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

And I didn't even mean the Sox. Look all over the league. High picks bust regularly.

With all the volatility surrounding Cease, Lopez and Kopech (not to mention Dunning)...you have to invest in ONE really solid veteran and hold the rest of your fire for 2021 (DH or RF if needed/rotation/bullpen).

That also provides Walker, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Basabe and Rutherford one more season to prove themselves.  You'd THINK you could get at least ONE 1.5-2.0fWAR line out of that group. 

35 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Gee, this is what I was saying when I got in all that trouble for being a troublemaking "troll." When I argue against caring about the draft. I was told by so many that we're supposed to lose games for the beloved draft.

My position that draft picks bust and the draft is a crapshoot was not a popular stance. it was "lose, lose, lose" and by gosh greg why can't you see why we want to lose games!"

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Gee, this is what I was saying when I got in all that trouble for being a troublemaking "troll." When I argue against caring about the draft. I was told by so many that we're supposed to lose games for the beloved draft.

My position that draft picks bust and the draft is a crapshoot was not a popular stance. it was "lose, lose, lose" and by gosh greg why can't you see why we want to lose games!"

Just because a lot of guys bust doesn't mean you don't want the opportunity. Odds are you'll find betters players higher than lower. That's why. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Just because a lot of guys bust doesn't mean you don't want the opportunity. Odds are you'll find betters players higher than lower. That's why. 

Our No. 1 picks aren't always great ones and that's a tenet of the tank. To get guys at No. 10 and from what people are saying on here, Collins isn't exactly a prime prospect. Although I'd make him starter next year and see what we got. He's ready. And aside from all the hype earned by McCann from his great start ... if Jose had this type of second half we'd be screaming loudly to get rid of him. The built in excuse for McCann is he's tired cause it's difficult to catch. Just play Collins and forgetaboutit for a while.