2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Jeff Keppinger 2.0

Yeah I would call a Zobrist move like a plan J or K. Basically, prices would have to be too high on trade candidates and we would have to miss out on Ozuna, Castellanos (don't like either of these first 2 as they aren't much in the OF, would take Castellanos as a DH/1B however), Calhoun, Puig, etc.

Edited by soxfan2014

44 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I googled "Potential MLB trade candidates" and one name that popped up that I don't recall seeing mentioned here is David Peralta. Not sure what it would take, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too much. 

Peralta would be a nice fit. Struggles to stay healthy but is a pretty good stick when he is. Also a much needed lefty. 

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Again, we would have to offer a significant amount more...no one is coming to the Sox over good teams because we offered $1M more. Like it or not we will have to overpay to attract big names. 

-shitty weather for 1/3 of the year

-coaching staff that is in the stone ages

-haven’t won crap in a decade +

-2nd most popular team in the city

-horrible attendance 

And I’m sure I could go on...there’s no need to be delusional about the situation. The Sox are a bad team run by bad ownership with a bad front office. No one (besides Jose Abreu) is clamoring to join this team if the $ is similar in other places. With that said, the team has so much $ to spend that there’s no reason NOT to do what’s necessary to bring in big free agents. We’ll see if it actually happens or not 

What you're saying isn't supported by the facts at all.  Can you give even one example where it's known the player turned down the biggest offer because that team plays in a shitty weather location, isn't competitive, has bad attendance, etc.?  It's pretty much always the opposite -- players pass on their preferred destinations to take more money. 

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

What you're saying isn't supported by the facts at all.  Can you give even one example where it's known the player turned down the biggest offer because that team plays in a shitty weather location, isn't competitive, has bad attendance, etc.?  It's pretty much always the opposite -- players pass on their preferred destinations to take more money. 

Do you have the facts of what teams offer what to certain free agents? Because myself and the rest of the general public don’t. 

And aside from machado what really good players have signed with really bad teams?

40 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

You're changing the goalposts.

FWIW big time free agent signings rarely work out well for the team signing them. ARod was probably one of the best free agent signings ever, his contract became an albatross when the Yankees extended him.

I said the Sox would have to overpay to get marquee free agents...you listed 4 guys that were overpaid to go to bad teams. What goal posts were moved? If anything you moved goal posts by naming the likes of Eric Hosmer and Jayson Werth. I’m talking about great players that have a lot of suitors, I.e. Garrett Cole in this free agent class. I’m not claiming it will be difficult for the Sox to sign an Ozuna or Grandal type of they really want to. I’m saying we have about a 1% chance to sign Cole unless it’s a crazy contract, which we all know isn’t going to happen. Just like I was saying last off season when the Machado/Harper madness was going on here.

You are right about a rod tho, for some reason I thought I remembered him struggling with Texas. Clearly he was great. 

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I said the Sox would have to overpay to get marquee free agents...you listed 4 guys that were overpaid to go to bad teams. What goal posts were moved? If anything you moved goal posts by naming the likes of Eric Hosmer and Jayson Werth. I’m talking about great players that have a lot of suitors, I.e. Garrett Cole in this free agent class. I’m not claiming it will be difficult for the Sox to sign an Ozuna or Grandal type of they really want to. I’m saying we have about a 1% chance to sign Cole unless it’s a crazy contract, which we all know isn’t going to happen. Just like I was saying last off season when the Machado/Harper madness was going on here.

You are right about a rod tho, for some reason I thought I remembered him struggling with Texas. Clearly he was great. 

Your main point in your original post wasn't that the contract would be an overpay, it was that the Sox would have to offer "a significant amount more" than other teams that are seen as more desirable teams.  I think that's false.  If the Sox offer the most total money (even if it's just $5 million more over the length of the total contract) they'll get Cole or whoever else they want.  Whether the signing turns out to be a good or bad long term investment is an entirely different question.

10 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Your main point in your original post wasn't that the contract would be an overpay, it was that the Sox would have to offer "a significant amount more" than other teams that are seen as more desirable teams.  I think that's false.  If the Sox offer the most total money (even if it's just $5 million more over the length of the total contract) they'll get Cole or whoever else they want.  Whether the signing turns out to be a good or bad long term investment is an entirely different question.

Offering significantly more $ than what other teams are offering isn’t the same thing as overpaying to you?

But it’s whatever, we can agree to disagree. If it makes you feel better to have hope then go for it. I’ve learned my lesson enough times with the Sox though. 

1 hour ago, Perfect Vision said:

Mind Blown!

If Cole is offered 250 million by the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, and Cubs, (not saying this will happen), then the Sox would have to pay at least 265 million to get him. Players will go to the highest bidder when it is within reason to do so. If the Sox offer 255 million, they probably won't get him in this scenario. 

35 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If Cole is offered 250 million by the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, and Cubs, (not saying this will happen), then the Sox would have to pay at least 265 million to get him. Players will go to the highest bidder when it is within reason to do so. If the Sox offer 255 million, they probably won't get him in this scenario. 

You don't know that. They typically go to the highest bidder, period. Ego plays a big part in these contracts as well. They want the highest dollar amount.

He also gets to be the ace on an up and coming team in Chicago. I don't buy that we need to pay 15m more to get him.

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

You don't know that. They typically go to the highest bidder, period. Ego plays a big part in these contracts as well. They want the highest dollar amount.

He also gets to be the ace on an up and coming team in Chicago. I don't buy that we need to pay 15m more to get him.

I do, and if the FO doesn't, then this winter is going to look a lot like last winter. 

• Thanks 2

Can we just dispense with this narrative that the Sox are at some kind of intangible disadvantage compared with other teams, and that making the highest offer isn't enough, they have to make a much higher offer because who would want to come to the Sox?!?  The reason the Sox haven't signed marquee free agents is because they haven't made the highest offers to those players.  Period.  The reason that the Sox have signed mid-tier free agents like Melky Cabrera is because they have made the highest offers to those players.  If the Yankees offered $250 mil to Cole and the Sox offered $255 mil, I'd bet my right nut that he would sign with the Sox.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 10:16 AM, TheFutureIsNear said:

Wait, you don’t think players don’t want to play for the Sox? The most $ has to be by a significant margin to get us a great player imo...it’s not a matter of bidding a couple million more. 

Or we could really just sum it up by saying we are never signing a top free agent like Cole. Just like we were never serious contenders for Harper or Machado 

This makes no sense.  They clearly were serious contenders for machado.  They clearly did not bid the most.  The idea that they have to pay significantly more is just an opinion you keep repeating.

25 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Can we just dispense with this narrative that the Sox are at some kind of intangible disadvantage compared with other teams, and that making the highest offer isn't enough, they have to make a much higher offer because who would want to come to the Sox?!?  The reason the Sox haven't signed marquee free agents is because they haven't made the highest offers to those players.  Period.  The reason that the Sox have signed mid-tier free agents like Melky Cabrera is because they have made the highest offers to those players.  If the Yankees offered $250 mil to Cole and the Sox offered $255 mil, I'd bet my right nut that he would sign with the Sox.

This.  There are some tax considerations that may come into play on some offers as well, but 95% of the players are going to take the deal that gives them the most take-home pay.  Its really that simple.  Everything else is primarily noise.  Sure, there may be a few later in their career players that will make a decision based on preferences if the difference in pay isn't significant (say $1-2M or less), but that is rare.  

I have no doubt that if the Sox offered Cole, Rendon, Strasburg or whomever the most amount of take home pay after taxes, they'd get the player.  There is no inherent disadvantage the Sox are up against and that is just another narrative that overly negative Sox fans love to hang onto. 

7 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Again, we would have to offer a significant amount more...no one is coming to the Sox over good teams because we offered $1M more. Like it or not we will have to overpay to attract big names. 

-shitty weather for 1/3 of the year

-coaching staff that is in the stone ages

-haven’t won crap in a decade +

-2nd most popular team in the city

-horrible attendance 

And I’m sure I could go on...there’s no need to be delusional about the situation. The Sox are a bad team run by bad ownership with a bad front office. No one (besides Jose Abreu) is clamoring to join this team if the $ is similar in other places. With that said, the team has so much $ to spend that there’s no reason NOT to do what’s necessary to bring in big free agents. We’ll see if it actually happens or not 

I disagreed with you based on the history of available evidence...until you repeated yourself a third time.  Now I agree with you.  You had me at "Again,"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I disagreed with you based on the history of available evidence...until you repeated yourself a third time.  Now I agree with you.  You had me at "Again,"

Yeah because you asked me for evidence that’s impossible to provide. Neither you or I have access to the information of exactly what teams bid on free agents.

How about you prove me wrong that the player takes the highest bid every time?With evidence of what every team bid. I’ll wait...

But go ahead, live in your fairy tale world if it makes you feel better. I was right that the Sox were never going to sign Harper or Machado and I’ll be right again this off season. AGAIN, whatever helps you sleep at night. Myself? I prefer booze and weed to delusion...works much better 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

But....that's kind of the point. You're trying to speak in fact when it's impossible to prove......so maybe don't do that. 

Ahh so it’s the “prove me wrong or I’m automatically correct” argument? Got ya 

Personally I think I’m speaking in common sense. But this is a message board of fans posting their opinions correct? That’s what I’m doing...if you don’t agree thats perfectly fine, i already made my “we can agree to disagree post”. I honestly don’t care if you choose to get your hopes stomped for a 2nd straight year. I don’t do that and choose to deal in what I consider reality. The likes of Rendon and Cole haven’t even crossed my mind for the Sox this off season. 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

Just don't get played.  Make your offer...they want a few days to think it over...sure.  Give them 5 days to take it...move on.  An agent should know what he wants for his client and RH should know what the club is willing to pay.  Can't afford to lose Wheeler or Strasburg because Cole is fooling around.  

• Thanks 1

Anyone notice that Engel has his batting average up to a career-high .248?  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Sox put the need for another outfielder on the backburner and address other critical needs first.  

I can see them viewing the  2020 outfield as:  Jimenez, Robert, and Engel.   Engel has speed and is an excellent defensive outfielder.  Sure he has very little power but we don't need any more butchers in the outfield. One is more than enough.

I wouldn't put it past the FO to take this viewpoint.

2 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Anyone notice that Engel has his batting average up to a career-high .248?  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Sox put the need for another outfielder on the backburner and address other critical needs first.  

I can see them viewing the  2020 outfield as:  Jimenez, Robert, and Engel.   Engel has speed and is an excellent defensive outfielder.  Sure he has very little power but we don't need any more butchers in the outfield. One is more than enough.

I wouldn't put it past the FO to take this viewpoint.

There is as close to a 0% chance as humanly possible than the Sox go into 2020 without a RF that is not currently on the roster.  

• Thanks 1