2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

he's an ok player but everyone remembers him lighting up the league his first year so they think of him as far better than he is. Since his first year, his OPS is right around .800, this year it's only .767, which is below average for a RF. His defense is average at best. This year he's literally 1 win, below average player according to baseball-reference's version which is the only one I have open. He doesn't balance out our RH/LH hitting issue where Moncada and Collins are the only lefties available for the roster. 

If you sign him for a small amount that's ok, but anything more than Avi Garcia money and you're signing him out of the hopes that he has better in him. 

Thanks for the complete answer.  He seemed a possible fit at age 28 and wouldn't cost a ton.  I put on my rose colored classes and see him loving Chicago and our Cuban connection.  I would like to fill this and the DH position through free agency rather than trade.  Only cost money not prospects.  Puig and Grandal  seem to be good fits so far as age, our needs and probable cost.

Edited by poppysox

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I disagree.  Teams that are ready to win are going to make moves to win.  You have to think long term, but when a team is in their window where they can win, if that is their ultimate goal, they have to make moves that improve them in the short term even if it hurts them in the long term.  

Baseball is really random though. The best way to win a world series is to give yourself as many playoff appearances as you can. Think long term in baseball is actually how you get yourself closer to winning a championship. The more playoff appearances the better. Once you get there it's a crapshoot. 

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Baseball is really random though. The best way to win a world series is to give yourself as many playoff appearances as you can. Think long term in baseball is actually how you get yourself closer to winning a championship. The more playoff appearances the better. Once you get there it's a crapshoot. 

Not when you are on the brink.  If you are on the edge, it is worth it to add that extra piece to the puzzle.  I bet the Cubs are happy with the Chapman trade, and the Astros with getting Verlander, the Royals acquiring Cueto, the Red Sox with Sale (though they also made significant trades for Porcello and Kimbrel).  

There are certainly different points of view and strategies that can be effective, but when the Sox are close, I hope they are willing to make moves that put them in the best possible position.

39 minutes ago, poppysox said:

What don't you like about Puig?  Just trying to understand where people are coming from.  Seems like others share that view.

From what I've seen of him, I just don't like his act.  In L.A. I believe he had the reputation of taking plays off and only playing hard when he wanted to.  Plus I would like a LH hitter out there to balance the lineup.  I know I'm in the minority here but I'm looking forward to Steele Walker out there.  Sign someone to a 2 year contract until he is ready.

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

From what I've seen of him, I just don't like his act.  In L.A. I believe he had the reputation of taking plays off and only playing hard when he wanted to.  Plus I would like a LH hitter out there to balance the lineup.  I know I'm in the minority here but I'm looking forward to Steele Walker out there.  Sign someone to a 2 year contract until he is ready.

Thanks for the feedback.

16 minutes ago, wegner said:

WSD keeps saying that his teammates hate him 

53 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Not when you are on the brink.  If you are on the edge, it is worth it to add that extra piece to the puzzle.  I bet the Cubs are happy with the Chapman trade, and the Astros with getting Verlander, the Royals acquiring Cueto, the Red Sox with Sale (though they also made significant trades for Porcello and Kimbrel).  

There are certainly different points of view and strategies that can be effective, but when the Sox are close, I hope they are willing to make moves that put them in the best possible position.

I think the Cubs hate the Chapman trade. Not only was it dumb, it was a ridiculous overpayment. I'm not sure the Red Sox are happy about the Sale deal either. 

Given how the Cubs played in the playoffs and Chapman's weirdness, they probably would have won regardless. I'm sure the Red Sox would rather have Moncada and Kopech as well, as would the Nationals with Giolito and Lopez. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Dickerson is a poor man's  Michael Brantley which is a pretty damn good player. Would prefer him over Polanco, Mazara or Gordon

I’m with you on this, but he can’t be your big upgrade for the offseason. He’s fine if you bring in someone like JDM also.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He should. Why delay the inevitable? 

Because he's 22, can improve, and he provides much more value as a LF than a DH.  You can always make him a DH or 1B later in his career if needed.  He needs to play LF most of the time for a few seasons.  The Sox have struggled to find a good DH (I know, I know...) but its much easier to find a good stick at DH (where they are relatively cheap) than in the OF.

Edited by ChiSox59

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It doesn't matter. He's hurting the team out there. You want to win games or not? Eloy is a joke in LF. He's also liable to hurt himself. He did it 4 separate times this year. 

Putting him at DH would be massively stupid for a 22 year old rookie.  He's bad on defense, nobody is going to debate that.  He has multiple years to get better and I fully expect he will get better over time.

• Thanks 1