2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather take a flyer on Nomar Mazara, but whatever. 

Mazara is interesting.  I'm of the opinion that Puig will get a serious look as will some others that have been mentioned.  That Cuban thing we have going is an actual thing however.

55 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Mazara is interesting.  I'm of the opinion that Puig will get a serious look as will some others that have been mentioned.  That Cuban thing we have going is an actual thing however.

I'm ok with Puig but they better get a LH hitter for DH then. I think Moncada is the only LH hitter penciled in the lineup, and he bats switch. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm ok with Puig but they better get a LH hitter for DH then. I think Moncada is the only LH hitter penciled in the lineup, and he bats switch. 

You don't think they'll give that job to Collins? Based on how they're are using him I assumed next year he plays mostly DH and backs up 1st and C. 

33 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Puig probably gets a 3 or 4 year deal.  Probably ~15 million a year.

I seriously doubt he gets anything like that.  He’s been an incredibly ordinary player for several years now and has a reputation for being a clubhouse cancer.  I think he’ll be lucky to get more than 2/$30M.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I seriously doubt he gets anything like that.  He’s been an incredibly ordinary player for several years now and has a reputation for being a clubhouse cancer.  I think he’ll be lucky to get more than 2/$30M.

I just wouldn't be suprised if he got 13-15 a year on a 3 or 4 year deal.  There isn't a lot of OF options this year.

16 hours ago, Capital G said:

You don't think they'll give that job to Collins? Based on how they're are using him I assumed next year he plays mostly DH and backs up 1st and C. 

I'd hope not, but maybe I'm biased because I don't like Collins. I have a very strong dislike for his inability to get hits at the MLB level. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

No one is going to commit significant resources to Puig IMO.

As for the Sox, he's a fit in position only. He doesn't bat left-handed and I don't want that cancer near our young, budding core. 

AJ had that same rep.  You just never know.  He wouldn't be my first choice but might be best available.

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

AJ had that same rep.  You just never know.  He wouldn't be my first choice but might be best available.

I mean you're not wrong but I still want nothing to do with Puig. If there is a situation where he's the best available the Sox FO failed.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I mean you're not wrong but I still want nothing to do with Puig. If there is a situation where he's the best available the Sox FO failed.

Not true. Unless the Sox want to make a trade, he's already the best FA option for RF. Puig and Calhoun are the best FA options. Maybe if Polanco gets non-tendered he's an option as well, but idk what his arm is like after missing the better part of 2 seasons with shoulder surgery. 

11 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Puig: This year in 519 at bats ... 24 HRS (blah according to our many analytics peeps on here who don't like Avi or Jose); 77 RBI (very blah; meaningless stat but even for a meaningless stats has way too few RBIs to be considered anything much); OPS of .768 (little above league average); .317 OBP (little above league average), 17 stolen bases. I think that's impressive but stolen bases are not desired anymore. War: 1.2 (considering 2 is average player not good).

Consensus: You advanced statters should blast him all next season if we get him. He's average at best.

Greg's faves: Avi is up to 1.9 WAR; Jose is 2.5. Isn't 2.5 getting close to being acceptable to the advanced stat aficionados?

Edited by greg775

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not true. Unless the Sox want to make a trade, he's already the best FA option for RF. Puig and Calhoun are the best FA options. Maybe if Polanco gets non-tendered he's an option as well, but idk what his arm is like after missing the better part of 2 seasons with shoulder surgery. 

Gregory Polanco signed a contract with a guarantee, he's fully under contract and guaranteed for the next 2 seasons, followed by 2 option years. He can't be non-tendered. He could be designated for assignment, but then the Pirates would have to buy out the $20 million remaining on his deal. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is true. He's a terrible fit.  I am not sure why you're limiting the options to free agents. There are multiple better options via trade. 

There is a scenario where the trade targets get traded and the better free agents get signed. In the case that that happens and Puig is still on the market because no one wants to deal with the idiot (a likely scenario)  than the Sox failed in their pursuit of filling  the RF hole.

Also, Polanco can't get non-tendered. The Pirates already extended him and he has a guaranteed contract for next year.

2 hours ago, raBBit said:

It is true. He's a terrible fit.  I am not sure why you're limiting the options to free agents. There are multiple better options via trade. 

There is a scenario where the trade targets get traded and the better free agents get signed. In the case that that happens and Puig is still on the market because no one wants to deal with the idiot (a likely scenario)  than the Sox failed in their pursuit of filling  the RF hole.

Also, Polanco can't get non-tendered. The Pirates already extended him and he has a guaranteed contract for next year.

None of us want to part with our future prospect capital.  Would Sanchez plus something modest have any trade value for the Joc Pederson type of one year solution?  He is the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball according to Stone.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

None of us want to part with our future prospect capital.  Would Sanchez plus something modest have any trade value for the Joc Pederson type of one year solution?  He is the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball according to Stone.

Doubtful. They have enough infield depth. Plus Gavin Lux was called up this year. Likely the 2B next year.

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd hope not, but maybe I'm biased because I don't like Collins. I have a very strong dislike for his inability to get hits at the MLB level. 

I am not giving up on Collins. Eye test more than early stats. He looks like a prospect to me. Surely Collins has some supporters who are with me. 10th overall pick in 2016?? He better be good or the draft fans have some explainin' to do.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I am not giving up on Collins. Eye test more than early stats. He looks like a prospect to me. Surely Collins has some supporters who are with me. 10th overall pick in 2016?? He better be good or the draft fans have some explainin' to do.

That's fine. His swing is still long and slow. Maybe he'll figure it out, maybe he won't. But he should have to earn another look in Charlotte. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Jury still out.  Play him now and lets find out what we have.

• Like 1