Jack Parkman

2020 RF options

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Of course, but in my hypothetical it was that the offense is good or really good. Why not use that money for pitching?

I think the offense will be much better with the additions of Robert and Madrigal but they should still have enough money for both a RF and pitching and it will be a disappointment if they don’t acquire both.  Their payroll will be minuscule going into the offseason.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

And I didn't even mean the Sox. Look all over the league. High picks bust regularly.

Of course, but in my hypothetical it was that the offense is good or really good. Why not use that money for pitching?

With all the volatility surrounding Cease, Lopez and Kopech (not to mention Dunning)...you have to invest in ONE really solid veteran and hold the rest of your fire for 2021 (DH or RF if needed/rotation/bullpen).

That also provides Walker, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Basabe and Rutherford one more season to prove themselves.  You'd THINK you could get at least ONE 1.5-2.0fWAR line out of that group. 

35 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

And I didn't even mean the Sox. Look all over the league. High picks bust regularly.

Gee, this is what I was saying when I got in all that trouble for being a troublemaking "troll." When I argue against caring about the draft. I was told by so many that we're supposed to lose games for the beloved draft.

My position that draft picks bust and the draft is a crapshoot was not a popular stance. it was "lose, lose, lose" and by gosh greg why can't you see why we want to lose games!"

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Gee, this is what I was saying when I got in all that trouble for being a troublemaking "troll." When I argue against caring about the draft. I was told by so many that we're supposed to lose games for the beloved draft.

My position that draft picks bust and the draft is a crapshoot was not a popular stance. it was "lose, lose, lose" and by gosh greg why can't you see why we want to lose games!"

Just because a lot of guys bust doesn't mean you don't want the opportunity. Odds are you'll find betters players higher than lower. That's why. 

• Like 1

I'd rather they sign a Cole or Strasburg (assuming opt-out) than give overpay Ozuna who isn't a RF (yes, I realize they can afford to sign 2 huge deals...but come on).

Edited by soxfan2014

9 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Just because a lot of guys bust doesn't mean you don't want the opportunity. Odds are you'll find betters players higher than lower. That's why. 

Our No. 1 picks aren't always great ones and that's a tenet of the tank. To get guys at No. 10 and from what people are saying on here, Collins isn't exactly a prime prospect. Although I'd make him starter next year and see what we got. He's ready. And aside from all the hype earned by McCann from his great start ... if Jose had this type of second half we'd be screaming loudly to get rid of him. The built in excuse for McCann is he's tired cause it's difficult to catch. Just play Collins and forgetaboutit for a while.

48 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'd rather they sign a Cole or Strasburg (assuming opt-out) than give overpay Ozuna who isn't a RF (yes, I realize they can afford to sign 2 huge deals...but come on).

I just have a hard time believing that Steven Strasburg would come to the White Sox. Gerrit Cole is a pipe dream.

I think the White Sox would have to outbid potential suitors by a country mile to get them to come here and I just don't see JR approving that.

Just now, chetkincaid said:

I just have a hard time believing that Steven Strasburg would come to the White Sox. Gerrit Cole is a pipe dream.

I think the White Sox would have to outbid potential suitors by a country mile to get them to come here and I just don't see JR approving that.

I know people say this about just about every star, but by how much do they need to outbid a team? It is tough for guys to turn down the highest offer. A lot of it is an ego thing too. Like "I got paid more than this guy."

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I know people say this about just about every star, but by how much do they need to outbid a team? It is tough for guys to turn down the highest offer. A lot of it is an ego thing too. Like "I got paid more than this guy."

It's a total bullshit excuse. Give the most money, get the star 95% of the time. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

It's a total bullshit excuse. Give the most money, get the star 95% of the time. 

Wait, you don’t think players don’t want to play for the Sox? The most $ has to be by a significant margin to get us a great player imo...it’s not a matter of bidding a couple million more. 

Or we could really just sum it up by saying we are never signing a top free agent like Cole. Just like we were never serious contenders for Harper or Machado 

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Wait, you don’t think players don’t want to play for the Sox? The most $ has to be by a significant margin to get us a great player imo...it’s not a matter of bidding a couple million more. 

Or we could really just sum it up by saying we are never signing a top free agent like Cole. Just like we were never serious contenders for Harper or Machado 

I think the overwhelming majority of players want to play where they get the best deal. Full stop. Everything else is posturing.

Edited by mqr