2020 RF options

Jack Parkman

RF is one position I can actually see the Sox spending money on in the offseason.  The Sox seem to favor spending more money on position players over starting pitchers due to injury concerns.  While Ozuna or Castellanos would be nice, I see us ending up with Puig, Dickerson, or a trade target.  But I can’t imagine Hahn not acquiring a corner outfielder and keeping Leury as a starter.

I don’t like our options for filling RF for a big bat. I don’t see mets trading off players, and the sellers don’t offer much.

I think I’d rather make sure both corners aren’t woeful defensively just to get a 115 wRC+ player.

Id like to go big for conforto, or if Twitter gets shut down Joc Pederson, however it feels like their availability is unlikely.

I think I’d go hard for Boston players. Explore conforto, but I know everyone would hate this but trade for JBJ and sign JDM.

Get 1 year of coverage with good D and experience, and go big on a DH bat.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don’t like our options for filling RF for a big bat. I don’t see mets trading off players, and the sellers don’t offer much.

I think I’d rather make sure both corners aren’t woeful defensively just to get a 115 wRC+ player.

Id like to go big for conforto, or if Twitter gets shut down Joc Pederson, however it feels like their availability is unlikely.

I think I’d go hard for Boston players. Explore conforto, but I know everyone would hate this but trade for JBJ and sign JDM.

Meh, Pederson made sense this year if we got Machado.  Doesn't he only have a year of control left?  

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Meh, Pederson made sense this year if we got Machado.  Doesn't he only have a year of control left?  

So sign him the next year. Why on earth did he only make sense if we signed machado when we still have a void in our corner OFs.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

So sign him the next year. Why on earth did he only make sense if we signed machado when we still have a void in our corner OFs.

Because he only has a year of control left and we'd have to trade for him.  We don't exactly have a lot of pieces.

Wasn't that deal supposed to involve Bummer anyways? 

I'd rather sign Ozuna or even Castellanos over a year of Pederson with the hope he doesn't want to test FA.

16 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Me personally, I'd ask the Marlins what they'd want for Brian Anderson (I know.. the name makes you snicker, but he is a very underrated player). 

Or Hahn could travel down the Joc Pederson hole again...

I still maintain my Anderson suggestion. I have faith in Jeter giving another guy away. :) Plus he is elite defensively in RF AND 3B. So when Moncada goes on his usual IL stint, you can plug him there and I guess a Leury in RF and not miss much of a beat. He is the type of guy the Sox SHOULD be targeting. Solid bat, good defensive, versatile type players.

22 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Because he only has a year of control left and we'd have to trade for him.  We don't exactly have a lot of pieces.

Wasn't that deal supposed to involve Bummer anyways? 

I'd rather sign Ozuna or even Castellanos over a year of Pederson with the hope he doesn't want to test FA.

What is preventing them from signing him? 

22 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I still maintain my Anderson suggestion. I have faith in Jeter giving another guy away. :) Plus he is elite defensively in RF AND 3B. So when Moncada goes on his usual IL stint, you can plug him there and I guess a Leury in RF and not miss much of a beat. He is the type of guy the Sox SHOULD be targeting. Solid bat, good defensive, versatile type players.

Yeah I’d love it but 4 years control I don’t see Marlins shopping that. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Nothing. But why give up assets when you can just sign the guy in a year? If he costs no one in the top 10, then sure why not. I think I’d prefer rolling the dice on Mazara than 1 year of Pederson, though if the move was paired with a few others, I certainly wouldn’t mind Joc in RF. 

Edited by ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

You don't know if he would want to be extended or test FA.

You are giving up pieces for 1 year of a guy you don't know will want an extension or not.  If we were going to give up the limited chips we have I'd prefer it to be for somebody under control.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nothing. But why give up assets when you can just sign the guy in a year? If he costs no one in the top 10, then sure why not. I think I’d prefer rolling the dice on Mazara than 1 year of Pederson, though if he was the move paired with a few others, I certainly wouldn’t mind Joc in RF. 

This.  I would like Joc.  I wouldn't like 1 year of Joc for Walker and Sheets or whoever.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

You don't know if he would want to be extended or test FA.

You are giving up pieces for 1 year of a guy you don't know will want an extension or not.  If we were going to give up the limited chips we have I'd prefer it to be for somebody under control.

Pay him more money than other teams. But then you also get his production for next year.

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

I love the idea but who are we realistically giving up for Conforto?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I’d love it but 4 years control I don’t see Marlins shopping that. 

They traded Yelich with 5+ years of control. :) (I know, I know his salary was more)

I agree it's probably not as likely, but who knows with that FO.

Edited by SoxAce

16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I love the idea but who are we realistically giving up for Conforto?

Conforto definitely costs at least one of Madrigal, Vaughn or Cease and then a couple nice complementary pieces. No thank you. Really only makes sense if Sox were able to sign Rendon to play 2B and then trade Madrigal + for him. I’d be shocked. 

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Conforto definitely costs at least one of Madrigal, Vaughn or Cease and then a couple nice complementary pieces. No thank you. Really only makes sense if Sox were able to sign Rendon to play 2B and then trade Madrigal + for him. I’d be shocked. 

Agreed.  Pass.  I’d rather sign Dickerson for only money to play RF for a year or two.

They're not going to give Rendon the biggest contract in free agency this year, then stick him at a position where he's not even that confident compared to 3B.

If that's the plan, might as well make him a corner outfielder, but that doesn't make much sense, either.

(And no, we're still not going to be able to trade Madrigal for a TOR until he's a proven 3-4 fWAR player at the big league level...still a number of skeptics out there.)

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Greg are you actually arguing that we keep a mediocre player so that we don't end up with too many good players?

No. I'm just saying you don't need a star who rates well offensively at every position. It's like we're trying to make sure every guy in the everyday lineup is exceptional WAR. In 05 we didn't exactly fill the lineup card with all stars. I won't look up their WAR but how good was the WAR of Uribe, Pods, AJ, Dye, Rowand, Crede, Everett, Iguchi, etc. That's why I DEMAND we keep Jose Abreu around. You need some glue guys, folks, not an all star version of WAR at every position. 05 had Mark B and Paulie and AJ and Dye for gosh sakes. Winners.

Next time the White Sox make the WS it just might be because of defense and pitching again not high WAR at every infield outfield and catching and DH position. Yes, for all we know it might be 20 years til it gels again.

Edited by greg775

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

No. I'm just saying you don't need a star who rates well offensively at every position. It's like we're trying to make sure every guy in the everyday lineup is exceptional WAR. In 05 we didn't exactly fill the lineup card with all stars. I won't look up their WAR but how good was the WAR of Uribe, Pods, AJ, Dye, Rowand, Crede, Everett, Iguchi, etc. That's why I DEMAND we keep Jose Abreu around. You need some glue guys, folks, not an all star version of WAR at every position. 05 had Mark B and Paulie and AJ and Dye for gosh sakes. Winners.

Yes but I think every GM every offseason is TRYING to get the best players possible at every position.  You have to try.   

Whats cool about being patient with this rebuild is it looks like the White Sox have a very very legit chance of having allstar talent at almost every position.  You can squint and see it.  You don’t even have to squint so much any more.  

Don’t worry brother, the Sox are about to be really good.  

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Next time the White Sox make the WS it just might be because of defense and pitching again not high WAR at every infield outfield and catching and DH position. Yes, for all we know it might be 20 years til it gels again.

The point is there’s no reason to settle for mediocrity at any position when the Sox have money to spend.

Even adding a guy like Corey Dickerson for RF won’t cost that much but would improve the team quite a bit because Dickerson > Leury and Leury would then strengthen the bench.