Your 2019 MiLB POY is....

Look at Ray Ray Run

“You very rarely see that kind of talent,” says former All-Star shortstop Omar Vizquel, who played 24 years in the majors and was the center fielder’s manager this season with the Class AA Birmingham Barons.

“I remember seeing Ken Griffey Jr. in the beginning – we broke into the big leagues together in the same year – and Ken had that same kind of glow. He can do it all. He can beat you with a home run, with a stolen base, turn it into a different gear to make a play in the field. When you look at Robert, you see a player like that.”

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I can't wait until April 20th of next year when we hopefully never have to discuss service time ever again in our lifetimes.

*fast forwards to 8/1/2020 where Andrew Vaughn is slashing .300/.400/.600 for Charlotte* 

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

*fast forwards to 8/1/2020 where Andrew Vaughn is slashing .300/.400/.600 for Charlotte* 

I don't think they will play the service time game with Andrew Vaughn for three reasons.

1) He's too major league ready

2) They need a replacement/contingency plan for Abreu, especially defensively

3) They need to accelerate his window to maximally fit with Moncada's (who potentially will be gone 3 years after he comes up)

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don't think they will play the service time game with Andrew Vaughn for three reasons.

3) They need to accelerate his window to maximally fit with Moncada's (who potentially will be gone 3 years after he comes up)

I agree with you, I actually think they'll be reasonably aggressive with Vaughn and that he'll be in MLB by the ASB (assuming he crushes AA, which I think he will with relative ease) 

9 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Luis Robert

It's pretty good company on the list of past winners:

Acuna, Snell, Bregman, Vlad, Kris Bryant, and Xander.

I know you are citing only current players, but wasn't Crede on that list back in the day?

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I know you are citing only current players, but wasn't Crede on that list back in the day?

I believe he was AA POY, not the MiLB POY.

Andruw Jones the only one to win it twice. 

The list is a collection of, mostly, MLB stars.

Since 2000, Jeff Francis, Matt Garza and Hellicksom are probably the worst of the bunch. The worst position player is Will Myers, and second worst is amazingly Justin Upton or Jason Heyward.

4 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Yes, yes, and yes.  Good post.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/09/04/luis-robert-white-sox-prospect-minor-league-player-of-the-year/2204281001/

Love this quote from Vizquel. Not a doubt in my mind he would do the same with Moncada and others if he was up here.

There, Vizquel installed him as the team’s leadoff hitter so he could see as many plate appearances as possible. He also gave him no restrictions on the bases.

“When you are in this development period, you have to let him run all the time,” Vizquel says. “I give him the advantage to be on his own, have a green light and let him have a feel for the pitcher to see when he can run or not. Then if he made a mistake, we go talk to him about it. But you have to give him that freedom.”

In 56 games at Birmingham, he stole 21 bases in 27 attempts.

6 hours ago, SoxAce said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/09/04/luis-robert-white-sox-prospect-minor-league-player-of-the-year/2204281001/

Love this quote from Vizquel. Not a doubt in my mind he would do the same with Moncada and others if he was up here.

There, Vizquel installed him as the team’s leadoff hitter so he could see as many plate appearances as possible. He also gave him no restrictions on the bases.

“When you are in this development period, you have to let him run all the time,” Vizquel says. “I give him the advantage to be on his own, have a green light and let him have a feel for the pitcher to see when he can run or not. Then if he made a mistake, we go talk to him about it. But you have to give him that freedom.”

In 56 games at Birmingham, he stole 21 bases in 27 attempts.

If Vizquel wasn't Ricky * 100 when it comes to bunting, I would really love it for him to be the next manager. That's a great quote 

• Like 1

I'm almost as excited about Madrigal. The guy played better at 3A than A. The last 6 weeks or so , he really started working counts and drawing walks.

I'm sure 2020 will be a learning curve for both players, but 2021 looks very promising. Throw in the defensive and base running upgrades, then stand

back and enjoy.

Edited by zisk
add

58 minutes ago, zisk said:

I'm almost as excited about Madrigal. The guy played better at 3A than A. The last 6 weeks or so , he really started working counts and drawing walks.

I'm sure 2020 will be a learning curve for both players, but 2021 looks very promising. Throw in the defensive and base running upgrades, then stand

back and enjoy.

2020 needs to be a competitive year. 

22 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don't know, I know it's a small sample, but Vaughn didn't exactly dominate A/A+ this year.  I'm still expecting Vaughn to spend all of 2020 in AA/AAA and get the call-up a few weeks into 2021.