Your 2019 MiLB POY is....

Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Not that it really matters, but do ya'll think he has a chance to open the year as the #1 prospect in baseball? 

No it will be Wander and rightfully so.  Toolsy SS putting up those numbers in high A at his age is insane.  Tatis 2.0

Edited by chitownsportsfan

3 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

There's been some updated top 100 lists that are relatively recent.  He generally seems to fall in the 5-20 range.  MLB Pipeline has him at #5 behind Franco, Mize, Gore, and Adell.  That's the highest I've seen.    

Give Luis two more healthy years and he could be one of the game's new stars. 

14 minutes ago, zisk said:

I agree. Spend some money for more pitching. All I was saying is don't expect the moon and stars immediately from Robert and

Madrigal. There will be an adjustment period.

I definitely could see Robert struggling early on. He strikes out a lot in AAA, so that's likely to get worse up here in the early stages.

But yeah, that shouldn't stop the Sox from being all-in this winter.

The Sox are fortunate they weren't outbidded because lord knows they couldn't have discovered this guy on their own.  He was a known quantity throughout MLB front offices. 

If the Sox bat Robert behind Eloy they will both have great seasons because Eloy will get better pitches to hit and Robert is an all-around better offensive player.

But with Wrong-Way Peter Peachfuzz as the manager, I'm not holding out much hope that'll be the pairing.

Edited by GradMc

17 minutes ago, GradMc said:

The Sox are fortunate they weren't outbidded because lord knows they couldn't have discovered this guy on their own.  He was a known quantity throughout MLB front offices. 

If the Sox bat Robert behind Eloy they will both have great seasons because Eloy will get better pitches to hit and Robert is an all-around better offensive player.

But with Wrong-Way Peter Peachfuzz as the manager, I'm not holding out much hope that'll be the pairing.

I love how everyone the sox sign or acquire deserves no credit because "everyone knew they'd be good." 

Comical stuff.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I love how everyone the sox sign or acquire deserves no credit because "everyone knew they'd be good." 

Comical stuff.

Well in the case of Luis Robert, it's true. Are you trying to re-write history? The whole baseball world knew he was super prospect. It was just a matter of who of the teams with international money, decided to splurge the most and could lure him in to signing. There was even a scout calling Luis Robert the best baseball player in the world already at that point.

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Well in the case of Luis Robert, it's true. Are you trying to re-write history? The whole baseball world knew he was super prospect. It was just a matter of who of the teams with international money, decided to splurge the most and could lure him in to signing. There was even a scout calling Luis Robert the best baseball player in the world already at that point.

Rewrite history? So everyone knew Robert was going to be the MiLB POY and an elite MLB talent but none wanted to offer him more than 26 million?

It's nonsense. Big money signings flame out all the time. The Sox deserve credit for finding and investing more than any team in a guy they thought was worth twice as much as they paid him.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Rewrite history? So everyone knew Robert was going to be the MiLB POY and an elite MLB talent but none wanted to offer him more than 26 million?

It's nonsense. Big money signings flame out all the time. The Sox deserve credit for finding and investing more than any team in a guy they thought was worth twice as much as they paid him.

It was over $50 mil with penalties. But otherwise, yes the whole baseball world knew he was en elite prospect. Maybe except you I guess.

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I mean, flip side:

- The Sox did find (but not develop) Tatis.

- 26-year-old Rusney Castillo was supposed to be superior to Abreu and was signed for $72M, was "polished", and the Red Sox have been burned hard.

16 minutes ago, Sarava said:

It was over $50 mil with penalties. But otherwise, yes the whole baseball world knew he was en elite prospect. Maybe except you I guess.

So the entire baseball world new he was an elite talent but only one team would give him 50 million while other international signings have netted 3 times as much? Weird take. 

Amazing that everyone knew he was an ELITE talent and he got 1/3 the money that Rusney Castillo got when he signed our of Cuba with the Red Sox. 

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, flip side:

- The Sox did find (but not develop) Tatis.

- 26-year-old Rusney Castillo was supposed to be superior to Abreu and was signed for $72M, was "polished", and the Red Sox have been burned hard.

Beat me to the castillo thing. 

The sox outbid all of baseball for his services and they deserve no credit if he becomes great ha.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Amazing that everyone knew he was an ELITE talent and he got 1/3 the money that Rusney Castillo got when he signed our of Cuba with the Red Sox. 

The rules changed after Castillo was signed, there was no "Multi-year penalty box" which affected your other international signings at that time, nor was there the large over-limit fees. 

18 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Can't we just sign him to an extension like we did Eloy so he is up right away?

The problem remains the same one as Moncada: he already got $26 million. Eloy signed for $2.8 million.

If you already have $26 million, $43 million is a good amount of money, but if you originally signed for $2.8 million, $43 million guaranteed is life-changing.

Robert has 0 good reason to give up any years of free agency for a moderate guarantee like Eloy did because he's already banked so much money in his original signing bonus.  Once he's up and established, if we wanted to start talking about a $150 million or $200 million deal that buys out a couple years of FA for him (Mike Trout did this), that's far more plausible. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So the entire baseball world new he was an elite talent but only one team would give him 50 million while other international signings have netted 3 times as much? Weird take. 

There's only so many teams that will drop $50 mil + on a prospect, and most of them were ineligible. That's where I'll give the Sox credit, for spending that money.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The problem remains the same one as Moncada: he already got $26 million. Eloy signed for $2.8 million.

If you already have $26 million, $43 million is a good amount of money, but if you originally signed for $2.8 million, $43 million guaranteed is life-changing.

Robert has 0 good reason to give up any years of free agency for a moderate guarantee like Eloy did because he's already banked so much money in his original signing bonus.  Once he's up and established, if we wanted to start talking about a $150 million or $200 million deal that buys out a couple years of FA for him (Mike Trout did this), that's far more plausible. 

Do you think Moncada takes a 6 year, $110M extension? That buys out 2 years of his FA. He'd still hit FA at 30. Seeing how much Sale got paid after taking his money early, I think it could be doable. Moncada would be guaranteed $143.5 M in career earnings, including his signing bonus and 2 pre-arb years with the Sox, while still having the ability to cash in for more in the future. 

Edited by Jack Parkman