Your 2019 MiLB POY is....

Look at Ray Ray Run

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The rules changed after Castillo was signed, there was no "Multi-year penalty box" which affected your other international signings at that time, nor was there the large over-limit fees. 

Cool, Castillo got 25 million more if you include the tax.

This portrayal of robert as if he was ohtani (who would have netted about 150 million if he waited) is pretty comical.

So everyone knew robert was elite and going to be amazing but no MLB team wanted to pay him 50+ plus arbitration for 7 years of service? Yeah, ok bud.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sarava said:

There's only so many teams that will drop $50 mil + on a prospect, and most of them were ineligible. That's where I'll give the Sox credit, for spending that money.

Yes, only certain teams want to pay significantky less than an elite player is worth.

You go ahead and continue to state that they deserve no credit for their successful scouting/signings.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Weren't the big teams pretty much in the penalty that year during the Robert sweepstakes? It was the perfect storm for the Sox.

I remember it was us or the Cardinals that were going to get him (and if I'm not mistaken he had a better offer from the Cardinals but chose the Sox cause of the Cubans).

Edited by SoxAce
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Weren't the big teams pretty much in the penalty that year during the Robert sweepstakes? It was the perfect storm for the Sox.

Yes. The Yankees, Cubs(Soler), Dodgers(Puig?), and Red Sox(Moncada) were all in the sin bin. If any one of them were out, the Sox never get Robert. I'm beyond shocked he didn't end up with the Cardinals or Astros, as they were the Sox biggest competition. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 hours ago, zisk said:

I agree. Spend some money for more pitching. All I was saying is don't expect the moon and stars immediately from Robert and

Madrigal. There will be an adjustment period.

Pretty sure bet that they will be a big improvement over Garcia and Sanchez immediately and grow from there.

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, only certain teams want to pay significantky less than an elite player is worth.

You go ahead and continue to state that they deserve no credit for their successful scouting/signings.

Not sure why you're trying to spin my words. They deserve credit for cutting the check, which many teams won't do on a prospect, regardless of the caliber of the prospect. They also did a nice job of selling the Sox to him, as I recall, the Cardinals had as good or better of an offer? 

What else do you want them credited for? Do you want us to lie and say he was this unknown prospect that the Sox discovered through good old fashioned scouting? You just seem like you want to argue for no reason. Are you having a bad day?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Not sure why you're trying to spin my words. They deserve credit for cutting the check, which many teams won't do on a prospect, regardless of the caliber of the prospect. They also did a nice job of selling the Sox to him, as I recall, the Cardinals had as good or better of an offer? 

What else do you want them credited for? Do you want us to lie and say he was this unknown prospect that the Sox discovered through good old fashioned scouting? You just seem like you want to argue for no reason. Are you having a bad day?

The only way you'll make him happy is if you provide photographic proof of you bowing to and kissing the feet of Rick Hahn. He loves Hahn

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

Some people would argue with the undertaker.🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sarava said:

So the only scouting that counts is scouting of unknown people? Good take.

18 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I remember it was us or the Cardinals that were going to get him (and if I'm not mistaken he had a better offer from the Cardinals but chose the Sox cause of the Cubans).

You're mistaken.

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2019 at 10:57 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Rewrite history? So everyone knew Robert was going to be the MiLB POY and an elite MLB talent but none wanted to offer him more than 26 million?

It's nonsense. Big money signings flame out all the time. The Sox deserve credit for finding and investing more than any team in a guy they thought was worth twice as much as they paid him.

I don’t disagree with your main point here, but there were some big spenders in the penalty box.  The Sox do deserve credit for getting it done though.

19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree with your main point here, but there were some big spenders in the penalty box.  The Sox do deserve credit for getting it done though.

They absolutely get credit for getting the deal done. I was trying to find a list for highest paid prospects, and I couldn't find one. I'm pretty sure most teams would balk at throwing 50 mil at an unproven prospect, no matter how heralded they are. So kudos to the Sox on that.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 7:58 AM, Sarava said:

They absolutely get credit for getting the deal done. I was trying to find a list for highest paid prospects, and I couldn't find one. I'm pretty sure most teams would balk at throwing 50 mil at an unproven prospect, no matter how heralded they are. So kudos to the Sox on that.

That Jerry...spends money like it's water.🙂