Official Game Thread Sox @ CLE - 09/04/19

BackDoorBreach

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's disgusting and proves without a shadow of a doubt Avi woulda been great in RF this year. He's making something like 2.5 mill or 3 mill a year for gosh sakes.

In hindsight every person on this board would agree with you.

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's disgusting and proves without a shadow of a doubt Avi woulda been great in RF this year. He's making something like 2.5 mill or 3 mill a year for gosh sakes.

We couldn't have offered him that amount...but he's definitely contributed positively to their wild card chase when healthy.

With Hahn/KW basically admitting they don't have enough money to keep all their guys internally (like Moncada or Giolito) and spend huge in FA, it would have been shocking had they shelled out $40-50 million for a 3-4 year extension...especially with 4.5 prospects (if you still include Basabe) stacked up at that position in Adolfo, Walker, Rutherford and Gonzalez.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We couldn't have offered him that amount...but he's definitely contributed positively to their wild card chase when healthy.

With Hahn/KW saying they don't have enough money to keep all their guys internally (like Moncada or Giolito), it would have been shocking had they shelled out $40-50 million for a 3-4 year extension...especially with 4.5 prospects (if you still include Basabe) stacked up at that position in Adolfo, Walker, Rutherford and Gonzalez.

Other than Steele Walker who needs to show more power, that’s a whole lot of suck.  Two outfielders who can’t stay healthy and two outfielders who can’t hit.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

The worst part is they thought Palka (defensively) or Jay were legitimate answers...or Cordell/Engel/Tilson.

Just more bad talent evaluation.

Strangely Hahn seems to run very hot and cold on talent evaluation.  I love his acquisitions for the major deals of Sale, Q & Eaton.  I love the McCann and Colome gets as well.  Alonso is the other extreme.  Hahn doesn't do all these deals in a vacuum.  I wonder how extensive the talent evaluation team is.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Strangely Hahn seems to run very hot and cold on talent evaluation.  I love his acquisitions for the major deals of Sale, Q & Eaton.  I love the McCann and Colome gets as well.  Alonso is the other extreme.  Hahn doesn't do all these deals in a vacuum.  I wonder how extensive the talent evaluation team is.

In the end, you have to get two stud players out of those deals instead of merely saving on payroll.

We all knew how volatile the ceilings and floors were with Kopech.   Lopez is likewise proving to be an enigma, and then there's the debate about the back-end of the Sale deal being way too weak (should have held out for a better 3rd player instead of taking two wild cards back.)

Someone like a Chavis who at least had the ability to hit.

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

In the end, you have to get two players out of those deals.

We all knew how volatile the ceilings and floors were with Kopech.   Lopez is likewise proving to be an enigma, and then there's the debate about the back-end of the Sale deal being way too weak (should have held out for a better 3rd player instead of taking two wild cards back.)

Someone like a Chavis who at least had the ability to hit.

Gettint Moncada alone would be a good return, if Kopech can even be a reliable mid rotation starter the trade was a huge win for the Sox.

Check the trades for Cliff Lee or Sabathia. they produced one player.

Basabe was/is an intriguing prospect, you are not getting a 3rd elite prospect.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Daniel Palka isn't a AAA player at this point, yet is still batting in the 8th inning of this game. Incredible. 

I'm so sick of White Sox baseball. 

Palka is a fine AAA player. He is no more than a AAAA player though.