9/5 Sox@Indians gamethread

Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Even if we look at just his second resurgent half

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2019&month=31&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Gio and Reylo are 13th and 14th at 1.6 fWar, but ReyLo's 4.79 xFIP is the highest until 36th place Julio Teheran's 5.01.

But when ReyLo has been good, he has had stats like this. It's tough to live like that, but hopefully he can be the rare guy who consistently outperforms his peripherals. Better lucky than good?

Look at his Fly Ball % and that explains his xFIP. xFIP doesn't take into account quality of contact and that could be where the huge disconnect comes from. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

He doesn't though.

And that's your opinion.

And just like you, I'm entitled to mine.

Unless they plan on signing Max which I seriously doubt, of the pitchers currently in this organization he'll hit 20 victories before any of the rest of them will.

Being capable of throwing 105 mph threw a brick wall is not in itself the sign of a great pitcher.

Edited by GradMc

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Look at his Fly Ball % and that explains his xFIP. xFIP doesn't take into account quality of contact and that could be where the huge disconnect comes from. 

In the 2nd half ReyLo is 2nd in the MLB with a 6.6% HR/FB rate and 5th with a 28.1 Hard Hit %, which is definitely the path to beating your peripherals.

My concern just comes from the fact it is rare these days to see someone maintain those numbers without having the stuff to have great K numbers too (Although, ReyLo is 42nd in the second half with a 21.8 K% which is in line with his minor league numbers, but is much better than anything he's done for an extended amount of time in the MLB).

16 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

In the 2nd half ReyLo is 2nd in the MLB with a 6.6% HR/FB rate and 5th with a 28.1 Hard Hit %, which is definitely the path to beating your peripherals.

My concern just comes from the fact it is rare these days to see someone maintain those numbers without having the stuff to have great K numbers too (Although, ReyLo is 42nd in the second half with a 21.8 K% which is in line with his minor league numbers, but is much better than anything he's done for an extended amount of time in the MLB).

There's a lot of red flags in his profile including those.  But he's held it together and hasn't completely imploded which should give him a foundation to build on this offseason.  The most important thing is to cut the fucking walks out.  And in order to do that he's going to have to find his command.  Similar to Giolito you can live with solo shots.  You can't live with three run bombs after walking the leadoff guys.

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

Bravo Rey-Rey.

I go through my changes with him but damn I still believe he's the best pitcher on the staff. I didn"t say thrower. I said pitcher. He has the best arsenal of pitches on the staff.

Like Cease, he needs to be coached-up better. Renteria-Cooper just can"t relate. Has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with keeping your mind fresh and current and being open to new ideas and challenges.  

You have a guy who is top 10 in the league easily and another guy who ranks 41st in baseball and I believe is older... I love the confidence in Lopez but saying he's better than Gio, or has the talent to be better, is a real reach.

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

Even if we look at just his second resurgent half

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2019&month=31&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Gio and Reylo are 13th and 14th at 1.6 fWar, but ReyLo's 4.79 xFIP is the highest until 36th place Julio Teheran's 5.01.

But when ReyLo has been good, he has had stats like this. It's tough to live like that, but hopefully he can be the rare guy who consistently outperforms his peripherals. Better lucky than good?

xFIP is trash.

28 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Judging from the post game interview, Lopez understands English perfectly.

I was briefly conversational in college and it was always much easier to speak in language lab with the native speaker peers than trying to talk to the Professor in class.  I'd think a lot of these latin guys are conversational among their team mates but just don't feel comfie in front of the reporters, don't blame them.

56 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's a lot of red flags in his profile including those.  But he's held it together and hasn't completely imploded which should give him a foundation to build on this offseason.  The most important thing is to cut the fucking walks out.  And in order to do that he's going to have to find his command.  Similar to Giolito you can live with solo shots.  You can't live with three run bombs after walking the leadoff guys.

HRs are just a fact of life as a pitcher these days. You just have to give them up with nobody on base. 

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think Fangraphs has said as much and that it's badly in need of an update to reflect the new HR rates.  I like SIERA it's the best.  https://library.fangraphs.com/pitching/siera/

Lopez has a 5.00 SIERA. It's worse than his xFIP. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

A one-hitter. These starters are so inconsistent and that must change. But for today I won't think that way. I will applaud Lopez. 11 strikeouts. Can you imagine if we got the good Lopez to go with the good Cease and good Gio plus the good Kopech? That would be 4 lights out starters. And the good Nova as a No. 5? As we know he's reeked and had stellar outings too.

Cooper should be ashamed of himself. He has so much raw talent to work with. Let's get it done. Can you imagine how cheaply the White Sox could win a WS if those four starters were great and Jerry only needed "maybe" one free agent starter. And only needed "maybe" one free agent right fielder.

He could make this a game and try to win a WS with the cheapest payroll ever. These are just observations. I do not want Jerry to get any richer than he is.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lopez has a 5.00 SIERA. It's worse than his xFIP. 

You can only look at his position in each stat relative to others.  He's not had a great year by any stretch, in fact it's been a pretty bad year for anything other than a 5th starter.  But at least he's managed to eat some innings and turn things around a bit in the 2nd half.  He's 11th from the bottom in SIERA he's 2nd from the bottom in xFIP.  The difference really isn't worth discussing as at this point his path to improvement is clear and that's less walks, better command, better secondary offerings.

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You can only look at his position in each stat relative to others.  He's not had a great year by any stretch, in fact it's been a pretty bad year for anything other than a 5th starter.  But at least he's managed to eat some innings and turn things around a bit in the 2nd half.  He's 11th from the bottom in SIERA he's 2nd from the bottom in xFIP.  The difference really isn't worth discussing as at this point his path to improvement is clear and that's less walks, better command, better secondary offerings.

I think that Lopez should consider dumping the changeup for a splitter. 

I think a couple of recent  awful starts are clouding people's views of Lopez and portraying him as undependable and inconsistent. In his last 11 games, Lopez has an ERA of 3.38.  If you exclude the horrid Atlanta game, which appears to be an outlier, his ERA is 2.56.  He's been more than acceptable since the ASG.

5 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

I think a couple of recent  awful starts are clouding people's views of Lopez and portraying him as undependable and inconsistent. In his last 11 games, Lopez has an ERA of 3.38.  If you exclude the horrid Atlanta game, which appears to be an outlier, his ERA is 2.56.  He's been more than acceptable since the ASG.

Well we should just him by the entirety of his season and by that measure he is the definition of inconsistent.  Every player looks better when you cut out the bad parts of their year.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Okay so what about the games before those last 11 starts?  Don't pick and choose now.  Has he been better, absolutely.  But he has been extremely inconsistent this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Also didn't he do the same thing last year?  Meh in the first half then August/September he was really good.  

He needs another out pitch and better command.

Which is kind of strange. Where many pitchers arms start to die by August,, he seems to get better. 

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think that Lopez should consider dumping the change up for a splitter. 

That was my thought was well. Low slow change-ups are made for the high leg-kick upper-cut softball swingers.

I think the low slow change-up pitch might fall out of favor with some pitchers who see too many of them get recognized early and wailed on. 

The one exception I see is that high "parachute" change-up that Gio has.   I think that one still surprises a lot of hitters and it is harder for them to load up on their back foot to lean on it.

The guy pitched a one-hitter. This thread should be congratulating him for what actually could be one of the best outings of his career AT THE END of his career. One-hitter, 11 strikeouts don't grown on trees.

The other stuff should wait. Kudos and only kudos to Lopez today.