9/5 Sox@Indians gamethread

Jack Parkman

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've never seen any pitcher in my lifetime that is harder to figure out and evaluate than Reynaldo Lopez.

How can you be so dominant and so bad in such short periods of time?

I am sure he baffles everyone. He has the arm and has the stuff. He should be a winning pitcher. Today he made it look easy.

2 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

Just like 2005 when our B team swept them and prevented them from potentially winning the wild card

They had that coming.  That September was almost a horrific nightmare, but turned into a glorious October!!

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Wow. I'm surprised given his FIP and xFIP. I can't believe it. I look at the FIPs, xFIPs and K/9 around him and I'm baffled. 

One of these things is not like the other; one of these things does not belong. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Wanne said:

yeah...I'm enjoying that. Small consolation...

I'd much rather be beating the Twins, but we all know that wouldn't happen. There better not be any Twins voodoo shit going on next year. I had enough  of that in the 2000s. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

How many more does he have than Moncada? Yoan has had like 8 or something in the last week. 

Yolmer is at 39. Moncada at 38. Yolmer has quietly increased his BB% the last 3 years.

Edited by SoxAce

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

2.5 fWAR for Lopez. Right ahead of Jon Lester

increased offense + the Sox' sieve like defense helps him relatively.  He hasn't been great, but he's been an alright 5th starter.  At least he's serviceable heading into next year.  You can squint and seeing him improving to a solid 4 or even 3 in a couple years.

Bravo Rey-Rey.

I go through my changes with him but damn I still believe he's the best pitcher on the staff. I didn"t say thrower. I said pitcher. He has the best arsenal of pitches on the staff.

Like Cease, he needs to be coached-up better. Renteria-Cooper just can"t relate. Has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with keeping your mind fresh and current and being open to new ideas and challenges.  

I heard the late, great Wizard of Westwood say at age 95 he would be a better coach at that juncture then when was younger.

How terrifying is that for the opposition ?

And I believed him !!

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Bravo Rey-Rey.

I go through my changes with him but damn I still believe he's the best pitcher on the staff. I didn"t say thrower. I said pitcher. He has the best arsenal of pitches on the staff.

Like Cease, he needs to be coached-up better. Renteria-Cooper just can"t relate. Has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with keeping your mind fresh and current and being open to new ideas and challenges.  

He still needs another pitch he can throw for strikes imo.  He doesn't always have a feel for his slider.

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wow. I'm surprised given his FIP and xFIP. I can't believe it. I look at the FIPs, xFIPs and K/9 around him and I'm baffled. 

One of these things is not like the other; one of these things does not belong. 

Even if we look at just his second resurgent half

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2019&month=31&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Gio and Reylo are 13th and 14th at 1.6 fWar, but ReyLo's 4.79 xFIP is the highest until 36th place Julio Teheran's 5.01.

But when ReyLo has been good, he has had stats like this. It's tough to live like that, but hopefully he can be the rare guy who consistently outperforms his peripherals. Better lucky than good?