And that's a White Sox "equals last year's win total" winner-9/5

bubba phillips

Great game by Lopez, a one-hitter where the only hit was a misplayed fly ball.  Do we have anybody that can actually play defense in the OF besides Engel?

Anyway, we match last year's win total of 62.  Thus, it appears that the rebuild bottomed out in Year 2 at 100 losses.  It's all uphill now.  Contending for a playoff spot in Year 4?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I had them at 72 wins before the season.  Looks like that should be surpassed.

Same but it's hard to feel any good about it given how shit the league is and how far away they still are.  72 feels a helluva long way from 95-100, which is what appears it's going to take to compete for a title in the next 5 years.

Overall, as of now, I'm giving the entirety of the season, including offseason, a straight C.  It was the minimum expected to show competence in the rebuild.  Emphasis on minimum.

Onus is on them to show improvement.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

71.74 win pace is what we’re actually on right now. 

I feel as though we will get the same WAR contributions from the combination of Abreu, Moncada, Anderson, McCann and Jimenez. You may get some regression in Abreu or maybe the others, but I think that will be offset from Jimenez’ growth. 

if we get a power RF FA who can give us above average production it will be a 3 win upgrade at that position.

If we get league average DH production it will be a 2-3 win upgrade at that position.

Robert SHOULD be at least a 2 win upgrade in CF. Madrigal will probably be a wash with Yolmer’s overall WAR considering his defense.

if Kopech comes back healthy and we get at least an average starter we should gain 4 or so wins in SP. if Rodon can come back, it could be more.

yes, I know, a lot of ifs. However this stuff doesn’t feel far off to me.

I think thats a fairly conservative estimate and that’s 11-12 wins right there. I would take my chances with an 83-84 game winner in this division. 

5 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I feel as though we will get the same WAR contributions from the combination of Abreu, Moncada, Anderson, McCann and Jimenez. You may get some regression in Abreu or maybe the others, but I think that will be offset from Jimenez’ growth. 

if we get a power RF FA who can give us above average production it will be a 3 win upgrade at that position.

If we get league average DH production it will be a 2-3 win upgrade at that position.

Robert SHOULD be at least a 2 win upgrade in CF. Madrigal will probably be a wash with Yolmer’s overall WAR considering his defense.

if Kopech comes back healthy and we get at least an average starter we should gain 4 or so wins in SP. if Rodon can come back, it could be more.

I think thats a fairly conservative estimate and that’s 11-12 wins right there. I would take my chances with an 83-84 game winner in this division. 

I think this team could be on the verge of exploding, into possibly a 90+ win team at least.

Sign a TOR starter. Fill all holes, and stop depending on subpar players like Engel, Sanchez, Goins, Cordell, Tillman, Covey, Santiago, Alonso, etc. It's going to feel weird hopefully not having bad placeholders in our lineups or starting rotation.  Being competitive not only every game with whoever our starting pitcher is, but every inning with our lineup. Not having 2 or 3 AAA quality players in the lineup every night will be huge.

The potential is massive. It will be a shame if the Sox go the cheap route again this winter They could be on the verge of greatness if Jerry is willing to spend some money.

6 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

VERY CONSERVATIVE!🙂

10 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Same but it's hard to feel any good about it given how shit the league is and how far away they still are.  72 feels a helluva long way from 95-100, which is what appears it's going to take to compete for a title in the next 5 years.

Overall, as of now, I'm giving the entirety of the season, including offseason, a straight C.  It was the minimum expected to show competence in the rebuild.  Emphasis on minimum.

Onus is on them to show improvement.

If we win 72 this year, that means we could have won 78 with better health. We can get to 95 if we go all in this offseason. 

30 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If we win 72 this year, that means we could have won 78 with better health. We can get to 95 if we go all in this offseason. 

With a successful offseason his is quite possible.  I know this attitude will get some critics but boy we have a lot of all star caliber players coming into their own.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Lopez pitched a great game. There is hope he can continue on the road to becoming a very good starter in the near future. Some guys just take longer than others.

The potential of our staff (Gio, Cease, Kopech, Lopez, Dunning, Rodon and 2 FA arms... sky's the limit.