Vaughn's first pro season

Dominikk85

He has been  quite solid so far. 

Just 15% Ks vs a healthy 12% walks hitting .278/.384/.449. The power hasn't been amazing with 6 homers (about 18 HR pace) but it was his first season and he probably was tired from a long college season.

How do you like his first season? I think it was pretty solid. He didn't set the world on fire right away but really had no weakness in his profile, at least at those low levels which didn't challenge him.

Regarding the power longenhagen did say that he doesn't have huge raw pop like a Pete Alonso or yordan Alvarez but easily enough to hit 30 bombs. I think there is a pretty good chance that he becomes a 280/360/500 hitter with 30-35 bombs which would be very good, essentially the same as abreu but with a little less average but more walks.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't put a ton of stock in draft year seasons either way tbh.  I'd really like to see the power numbers go up a couple ticks next year while maintaining a solid walk rate.

How was he defensively if anybody knows?  

This. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Andrew recorded a combined babip of .282 this season. That’s quite low. Hard to predict a normalized babip for him, but by comparison José Abreu lifetime babip is .329. Something similar to that would have put Vaughn’s OPS up near .900 this past season. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

He has been  quite solid so far. 

Just 15% Ks vs a healthy 12% walks hitting .278/.384/.449. The power hasn't been amazing with 6 homers (about 18 HR pace) but it was his first season and he probably was tired from a long college season.

How do you like his first season? I think it was pretty solid. He didn't set the world on fire right away but really had no weakness in his profile, at least at those low levels which didn't challenge him.

Regarding the power longenhagen did say that he doesn't have huge raw pop like a Pete Alonso or yordan Alvarez but easily enough to hit 30 bombs. I think there is a pretty good chance that he becomes a 280/360/500 hitter with 30-35 bombs which would be very good, essentially the same as abreu but with a little less average but more walks.

How dare you compare our prized draft pick to Jose Abreu.  You should apologize!

10 hours ago, Baker said:

Andrew recorded a combined babip of .282 this season. That’s quite low. Hard to predict a normalized babip for him, but by comparison José Abreu lifetime babip is .329. Something similar to that would have put Vaughn’s OPS up near .900 this past season. 

Vaughn has a quite high pull rate though  which helps power but supresses BABIP. Abreu is more of an all fields hitter (39% pull) which means higher babips. I don't say vaughn will always be a 280 guy but if he stays at 45% pull his babip won't be that high. 

Konerko also was a flyball and pull hitter who tended to have babips in the 280s but still was a great player due to good walk rates, solid K rate and power.

Will be interesting to see how vaughn develops. Will he become a konerko type hitter to maximize his power or more an all fields hitter with pop like abreu.

16 hours ago, Quin said:

Most important thing for me was the strikeout/walk ?rate, as the rest (power being the primary thing), could be attributed to being tired from college.

So I'd call the first year a success.

Tired?  Really??

It would be valid if you pointed out that the pitching is much advanced in both Low A and High A.  But you think he was tired in August because of college?

9 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Tired?  Really??

It would be valid if you pointed out that the pitching is much advanced in both Low A and High A.  But you think he was tired in August because of college?

Yes, college baseball starts in late February. They finish their year, then start playing more baseball than they ever have for 2.5 months longer. It’s pretty common they wear out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldsox said:

Tired?  Really??

Remember all the complaining about Madigral a year ago...weak contact and all. What a difference a year makes.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, Dominikk85 said:

I think they will start him at high A and then promote him quickly after like 20 games or so if he demolishes that level.

That would normally be my suggestion as well, but assuming they want him up in 2020 to compete on a club pushing for the playoffs, don't even burn those 20 "confidence" games. Start him in AA, get him to AAA by the end of May, get him to the majors by July. That should be the aggressive goal.

7 hours ago, Sarava said:

If he starts killing it next year, then they're going to play the same service time games that they played with Eloy and Robert. I'd start him at high A and move him up when he dominates.

I don't know for certain that they will, because what the big league squad is doing might matter. There's a genuine possibility that next year the White Sox are sitting a few games over .500 in late July, Vaughn is killing the ball at AA, and our DH position is weak enough that we bring Vaughn up to try to help the big league team.

I would also start him at high A next year. I do want them to be aggressive with him, but at the same time he has to earn it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know for certain that they will, because what the big league squad is doing might matter. There's a genuine possibility that next year the White Sox are sitting a few games over .500 in late July, Vaughn is killing the ball at AA, and our DH position is weak enough that we bring Vaughn up to try to help the big league team.

I would also start him at high A next year. I do want them to be aggressive with him, but at the same time he has to earn it.

Yep. Next year the process starts to change as they should have a winning team if the plan goes well. If they are competing for a playoff spot at the end of July, he could come up.