GT - (9/6) White Sox vs Angels, 7:10 pm, NBCSC+

SoxAce

57 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

When they were free agents last year, Machado and Harper were continually describe as "generational" players or "generational" free agents. I never bought that term with those guys for a minute. Mike Trout is the player of this generation, no question. Those other guys or any other guys playing right now are just really good. 

This.

Harper is a good power hitter, but it seems more and more likely that his insane 2015 was a fluke and he's never gonna be a consistent .300 hitter. He's a .250 hitter who walks a lot and might have a few outlier years where he gets a .900 OPS. His defense sucks. He's had two years in the last four where he hasn't even put up 2 bWAR. He's hyped up because he's been a baseball prodigy since he was in high school and is a total showman. Good for him, and a good player, but he's not Mike Trout.

Machado is better, I think, and brings more with the glove, but he's only managed a .900 OPS season once, and that came in at .905. Mike Trout's worst season was .939. He's in a whole other league from anyone on the planet.

And because he's on a shit franchise and probably will be for life, nobody's gonna notice.

8 minutes ago, The Sir said:

This.

Harper is a good power hitter, but it seems more and more likely that his insane 2015 was a fluke and he's never gonna be a consistent .300 hitter. He's a .250 hitter who walks a lot and might have a few outlier years where he gets a .900 OPS. His defense sucks. He's had two years in the last four where he hasn't even put up 2 bWAR. He's hyped up because he's been a baseball prodigy since he was in high school and is a total showman. Good for him, and a good player, but he's not Mike Trout.

Machado is better, I think, and brings more with the glove, but he's only managed a .900 OPS season once, and that came in at .905. Mike Trout's worst season was .939. He's in a whole other league from anyone on the planet.

And because he's on a shit franchise and probably will be for life, nobody's gonna notice.

The Ernie Banks of our time.

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Man, J-Up fell off a damn cliff.

Seriously. We think our organization is a mess, but the Angels are far worse.

They've got one of the best players in baseball history, and in his eight years with the team, they've put up a winning record thrice and only went to the playoffs once (and got swept right out). Pujols went from being one of baseball's greats to being atrocious for pretty much his entire time with the team. Upton fell off a cliff, Ohtani's been unremarkable, and after Adell, their farm system has nothing.

I'm still sore at them for trying to put some sort of asterisk on our success even though they got destroyed in the 2005 ALCS, so I don't feel bad about it at all.

4 minutes ago, The Sir said:

They've got one of the best players in baseball history, and in his eight years with the team, they've put up a winning record thrice and only went to the playoffs once (and got swept right out). Pujols went from being one of baseball's greats to being atrocious for pretty much his entire time with the team. Upton fell off a cliff, Ohtani's been unremarkable, and after Adell, their farm system has nothing.

I'm still sore at them for trying to put some sort of asterisk on our success even though they got destroyed in the 2005 ALCS, so I don't feel bad about it at all.

I agree. They argue about the AJP play, Colon being hurt after he won the Cy Young, etc. They're really butthurt about that one. They can waste a top 5 player of all time and idgaf. Suck it. 

13 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Was really hoping for Adell to fall to the Sox in 2017.