GT - (9/7) White Sox vs Angels, 6:10 pm, NBCSC

SoxAce

1 hour ago, fathom said:

There’s a reason not a single non-Sox scout has said the last two years he has any chance of catching in the majors 

Basically a bust at that position.  Like this organization could use another 1B/DH.  This scares me that they will still see value in Castillo.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

Can't they do better than covey at this point. To be this far in the season and covey and detweiler getting starts is absolutely a black eye on Hahn.

I don't think they want to.  I would think this is it for them.  I think the call ups are guys that if they get injured....it's no big deal.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because he’s going to get a ton and the Sox like McCann as main guy 

They are fooling themselves if they think McCann is going to duplicate this year again next season (and I say this as a fan of McCann).

Edited by SoxAce

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed. I like McCann, but as a backup. 

Yep. He is sure to have some regression next year. If I'm the Sox I throw all the money at Grandal. Bench increases by 1 next year, so the Sox can easily carry Collins as a 3rd emergency catcher and play both McCann/Grandal in the lineup if they wanted giving them a rest as the DH.

4 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

The guy was an all-star this year, an all-star. With Abreu, he's been our most clutch hitter all year. He great defensively. 

And you still want to replace him. Wow, some people on this board are incredible. 

It was an incredible outlier year. You don't plan around fool's gold. 

• Like 1

Here's a weird thought. Four or five years from now, Dylan Covey might be the Sox's most valuable player. With tonight's loss, he improved to 6 and 29. That's right 6 and 29. 

He probably as much and any other two or three White Sox players has allowed the Sox to be in position to draft Nick Madrigal and Andrew Vaughn. Also, with his 1 and 8 record this year (and I would bet that he'll get a couple more chances to "improve" that record to 10 losses), he might have sufficently moved the Sox down far enough to get another outstanding player. 

So four or five years from now when Vaughn is really raking it and Madrigal is playing great defense and scoring run after run, and then whomever we get this year is doing great, remember that Dylan Covey put us in position to draft those three players. 

Grandal signed for 18.25 million for this year. Do you really think there's any chance at all, any chance in hell at all that this White Sox organization is going to pay that kind of money next year when they have a returning all-star?

Paying Grandal that kind of money when you already have an all-star at that position, you would have to be a fool with gold. 

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Grandal signed for 18.25 million for this year. Do you really think there's any chance at all, any chance in hell at all that this White Sox organization is going to pay that kind of money next year when they have a returning all-star?

Paying Grandal that kind of money when you already have an all-star at that position, you would have to be a fool with gold. 

What's wrong with depth? Plus our DH position has been the worst in the league. 

But please b**** some more about how annoying it is some people want a proven player to supplement another good player.