The Free Agent I want to sign more than any other

vilehoopster

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

Serious Streisand effect going on in this thread.

It's kind of like an inverted Streisand effect, but you're not wrong. It was almost anti-censoring. It was literally amplifying his message to promote discussion past the two word thread we had. 

But, let's actually move on to the thread: how would the Sox convince Girardi to sign with them over other teams like the Cubs if they have an opening? Or the Nats? 

Just now, Quin said:

It's kind of like an inverted Streisand effect, but you're not wrong. It was almost anti-censoring. It was literally amplifying his message to promote discussion past the two word thread we had. 

But, let's actually move on to the thread: how would the Sox convince Girardi to sign with them over other teams like the Cubs if they have an opening? Or the Nats? 

Make him one of the highest paid managers in baseball again and outbid other teams. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Money.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Make him one of the highest paid managers in baseball again and outbid other teams. 

You beat me to it.

1 hour ago, whitesoxbrad said:

It's NEVER going to happen.

Yep, the Sox don’t spend money on managers.  We all know that Omar Vizquel is the Sox next manager, for better or worse.

On 9/8/2019 at 9:08 AM, vilehoopster said:

So, are you the one that changed the title?  That just put my name in it in the 3rd person without my consent?

I did do the title without Girardi's name in an attempt to make people wonder and read the thread. To a degree, it was clickbait. But it was clearly stated as from Vilehoopster. 

To create a book title or newspaper or thread title that creates interest and makes people want to read it, that's called good writing. 

To be a forum administrator and change someone's words without their consent, that's called unethical. 

Lmao!   In case you haven't noticed, admins and mods change topic titles all the time and not one of us cares about asking the poster for permission. Thanks for the laugh though, I'll remember this for the next chapter of your long form weekly essay "my dislike of advanced stats and who really understands them!?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Soxfest said:

Renteria does not deserve too come back. Need a good manager too take the next step next year.

I feel the same way.  Isn't it odd that a former major league player and I guy who has been around the game for over 30 years is thought to be so weak with game strategy and lineup construction. 

Avi is 1.7 WAR. He comes cheap. He loves Chicago. He has tidy numbers of 19 HRs and 66 RBI in 453 at bats. Seems to me he'd be perfect for a year. Then if Rutherford bombs keep him another year.

How bout Avi to a 2-year 16 million deal? Or one year 7 million with a club option for a second year at 8 mill? 

He and Abreu are the two free agents I'd like to sign. Some of you guys should trust my position that we need some veteran leadership and those two guys bleed White Sox colors.

Edited by greg775

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Avi is 1.7 WAR. He comes cheap. He loves Chicago. He has tidy numbers of 19 HRs and 66 RBI in 453 at bats. Seems to me he'd be perfect for a year. Then if Rutherford bombs keep him another year.

How bout Avi to a 2-year 16 million deal? Or one year 7 million with a club option for a second year at 8 mill? 

He and Abreu are the two free agents I'd like to sign. Some of you guys should trust my position that we need some veteran leadership and those two guys bleed White Sox colors.

RH could do a lot of things I would like less.

19 hours ago, greg775 said:

It won't be Avi. Sox would be admitting they made a mistake not resigning him after the non-tender if they signed him. What an utter disaster the whole Jay and Alonso signings became.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It won't be Avi. Sox would be admitting they made a mistake not resigning him after the non-tender if they signed him. What an utter disaster the whole Jay and Alonso signings became.

Ya no kidding. I much rather would have tendered Avi for the season and keep Palka or Cordell up all year than sign those 2

20 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Ya no kidding. I much rather would have tendered Avi for the season and keep Palka or Cordell up all year than sign those 2

I understand the non tender but they easily could ve resigned him to the type of contract TB eventually offered him. I'm pretty sure Avi was begging the Sox to keep him but he was getting too expensive for a guy who got injured too much.

Again hire Ozzie. Jerry only hires White Sox alum. No kids ,no bunting. Thought Ozzie turned into a diva. 10 Years out of the game should have cured that.

It will be his last chance. He's smart enough to know it. A slightly humbled OG is better than 90% of managers. Plus, to JR's delight, he'll work cheap. 

39 minutes ago, poppysox said:

No thanks!  Girardi would be great and Visquel would be OK as well.  Maddon is just as weird a Ricky.

We have had back to back inexperienced MLB managers. So unless Omar is thought to be someone special I would hope they go for experience

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

No thanks!  Girardi would be great and Visquel would be OK as well.  Maddon is just as weird a Ricky.

Not sure what you mean by "weird". His players like him and he has produced results. He is light years ahead of Ricky. I'd easily prefer him over Omar and Ricky. I'd probably take him over Girardi as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

We have had back to back inexperienced MLB managers. So unless Omar is thought to be someone special I would hope they go for experience

My first complaint about Ventura was that he was inexperienced, but since then inexperienced managers have had a lot of success on other teams. If the Sox went with an inexperienced manager from outside the org I'd be totally fine with it, but if it were anyone from inside I would be very skeptical.

33 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Not sure what you mean by "weird". His players like him and he has produced results. He is light years ahead of Ricky. I'd easily prefer him over Omar and Ricky. I'd probably take him over Girardi as well.

He plays people out of natural position frequently.  

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Omar at least has minor league experience. That isn't an uncommon path to the majors, it isn't fair to compare him to someone like Ventura in this case. 

Also, if a person has major league managerial experience and is available, that almost certainly means they failed in that experience.