The Free Agent I want to sign more than any other

vilehoopster

57 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Omar at least has minor league experience. That isn't an uncommon path to the majors, it isn't fair to compare him to someone like Ventura in this case. 

Also, if a person has major league managerial experience and is available, that almost certainly means they failed in that experience. 

That’s why the Astros manager is as good as he is now...initial failures.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s why the Astros manager is as good as he is now...initial failures.

Sure, sometimes it works like that. Sometimes it works like Brad Ausmus, who is doing the exact same things in LA he did in Detroit. Sometimes it even works like Dusty Baker, who seemed to get worse every time he was hired.

I'm not saying managerial experience is a bad thing, but even being a winning manager before doesn't seem to guarantee success, and having performed poorly as a manager before really shouldn't make you a more attractive candidate unless you can explain all the things you are ready to change in an interview. 

4 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Sure, sometimes it works like that. Sometimes it works like Brad Ausmus, who is doing the exact same things in LA he did in Detroit. Sometimes it even works like Dusty Baker, who seemed to get worse every time he was hired.

I'm not saying managerial experience is a bad thing, but even being a winning manager before doesn't seem to guarantee success, and having performed poorly as a manager before really shouldn't make you a more attractive candidate unless you can explain all the things you are ready to change in an interview. 

Terry Francona is another guy who failed in his first job in Philly and then won 2 World Series in Boston.  That is why I said they have to examine how good they think Omar is. Using your standard of lack of success in a MLB job, how do you judge minor league coaching? Omar has had 2 losing seasons in AA. But that to me means nothing.   

When the time comes, it will be interesting to see how much analytics plays into the guy chosen.  If the Sox FO is gung ho w numbers then they will need a numbers guy in the dugout. If not, they will need an old-school manager.

2 hours ago, credezcrew24 said:

My first complaint about Ventura was that he was inexperienced, but since then inexperienced managers have had a lot of success on other teams. If the Sox went with an inexperienced manager from outside the org I'd be totally fine with it, but if it were anyone from inside I would be very skeptical.

I think the problem was Ventura never coached. Now Aaron Boone didn't either but he is doing pretty well. Then again, look at the roster he has to work with. Cora in Boston and Baldelli in Minny served as coaches and both were surrounded w experienced guys around them. 

On 9/8/2019 at 10:08 AM, vilehoopster said:

So, are you the one that changed the title?  That just put my name in it in the 3rd person without my consent?

I did do the title without Girardi's name in an attempt to make people wonder and read the thread. To a degree, it was clickbait. But it was clearly stated as from Vilehoopster. 

To create a book title or newspaper or thread title that creates interest and makes people want to read it, that's called good writing. 

To be a forum administrator and change someone's words without their consent, that's called unethical. 

You’ve got to be kidding me.  Are you new to the internet?  Get the hell over it