Why Did Covey Start Tonight??

Soxsi75

Why did Dylan Covey start tonight?? We are going to keep this real simple. If this piece of #^&*% even sees the mound ONCE  next year, it is an insult to all of White Sox fans who are doing our best to buy into this rebuilding process. If he does, it is an insult to our intelligence.  I know this season is finished. But that doesn't make it any easier to deal with putting %$^& like this out there. 

I agree with this post 100%. 

The fans bought tickets to the game tonight expecting the Sox to try and win the game. Instead, the FO screwed the fans completely by starting a pitcher they knew to be a total piece of shit.

Covey is now 1 and 8 for the year and 6 and 29 in his three years with the White Sox. How many loses does he have to have before the Sox realize he is terrible, terrible, terrible. 

Thank you!!! So I am going to take this an extra step further.  Anyone who paid good money for this game tonight should get their money back, and be allowed in for free whenever this piece of %$^* appears in a game in the future. I guess I'm taking this so seriously because I was offered tickets to this game and was unfortunately unable to go. I say unfortunately,  because now that I saw this guy pitched I feel I would have been ripped off if I could have gone. Enough is enough. 

Next year you're looking at

Gio
Kopech
Cease
Lopez
FA?

I don't think you're seeing Covey next year unless he is either the opposition or we suffer many injuries. Perhaps also as a mop up guy.

You're overreacting. Anyone who goes to games this year should expect there will be some level of trash going on. At least the Sox made it kinda exciting. 

• Like 1

When your choices are Ross Detwiler, Dylan Covey or Hector Santiago, does it really matter who starts? 

Their depth got destroyed by injuries. I know that these three guys suck, but they really don't have any other viable options. Why is that so hard for you people to understand???? There is nobody else to start a game. If they were trying to win, they'd use an opener but they really don't care about the W-L record this year. It's better that they lose games. I'd start Detwiler/Santiago the rest of the season instead of Nova to be honest. Lose more games. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

When your choices are Ross Detwiler, Dylan Covey or Hector Santiago, does it really matter who starts? 

Their depth got destroyed by injuries. I know that these three guys suck, but they really don't have any other viable options. Why is that so hard for you people to understand???? There is nobody else to start a game. If they were trying to win, they'd use an opener but they really don't care about the W-L record this year. It's better that they lose games. I'd start Detwiler/Santiago the rest of the season instead of Nova to be honest. Lose more games. 

Good post.  Could not have said it better myself.

Seeing Covey on the mound is physically painful.  But then following him up with Fulmer?  Pure sadism. That said, the Sox have a massive 40 man purge coming up.  By my count, as many as 13 guys could be going bye bye.  I think they want to know what they have in Covey for sure before they drop him.  Personally, I would rather watch Detwiler.

As far as trying to lose, they are basically locked in to picking 9th, maybe 8th.  Their good first half ensures that despite their horrific run differential.

Edited by Timmy U
  • Like 1

I'm SO happy Dylan Covey pitched last night.  I wasn't paying that close of attention and I knew it was close to Dylan Cease's turn in the rotation...and after last time's very encouraging start I was looking forward to another step forward...then I saw the 7 runs given up by Dylan C in 2 and a half innings and I felt depressed.  Only later did I see it was the other Dylan that got killed.  Dylan Covey getting destroyed means nothing for the team outside of this one day. And any fans buying tickets got to see Anderson and Moncado go 5 for 9 and Abreau hit a three run homer to make the game exciting.  

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've been befuddled by so many of your posts that I've wondered on this forum and even one time asked you if you want the White Sox to lose. 

I guess this answers all my questions about you as a poster: 

"It's better that they lose games. I'd start Detwiler/Santiago the rest of the season instead of Nova to be honest. Lose more games."

Well, I guess I have one question. What team do you actually like and cheer for?  Is it the Twins?  KC?  Please, not the Yankees or the Cubs?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Could easily give Bernando Flores some starts this month.  He needs to be added to the 40 man before the Rule 5 draft in December.  But yah, I am not losing much sleep over Covey starting over Detwiler or Santiago.  In fact, I'd prefer Covey over those two.  

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I've been befuddled by so many of your posts that I've wondered on this forum and even one time asked you if you want the White Sox to lose. 

I guess this answers all my questions about you as a poster: 

"It's better that they lose games. I'd start Detwiler/Santiago the rest of the season instead of Nova to be honest. Lose more games."

Well, I guess I have one question. What team do you actually like and cheer for?  Is it the Twins?  KC?  Please, not the Yankees or the Cubs?

Are they making the playoffs this year? Is it September? The answer is no and yes respectively. I want the Sox to lose, while the key players continue to perform. I don't care if the Sox win when Covey and Nova are starting. You do realize that getting a higher draft pick helps the team improve in the future, right? Remember that 4 wins was the difference between Andrew Benintendi and Carson Fulmer in 2015. That's what I don't want to happen.

Right now, it's better that they lose. In 2020 it's a completely different story. It's like all of the times the Bears had 2 or 3 wins going into week 14 and ruined their chances of getting a HOF QB because they went on a late season meaningless win streak. Does it guarantee that they'll get a better player? No, that's up to their scouts. But it increases the odds. That's where I'm at. I want what's best for the team. Right now, you and I disagree about what that is. We both want the Sox to win another WS. That I can assure you. 

At the point of the rebuild they are in there is a balance between individual performance and team performance. They've done a decent job of having their important players be good and still losing enough games to get a top pick. This is the last year of the rebuild. In 2020 it's win or die trying. Kopech and Rodon's injuries really hurt the 2019 team. That can't be stated enough. Anyone with a brain knows that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, skooch said:

It seems the concept of "short term pain for long term gain" is lost on some people.

I mean, to be fair, the pain has certainly not been short term.

I don't think the Sox should really be intentionally losing games at this point.  I do think finishing with a somewhat respectable record could potentially help with free agents who are picking between several teams and value being on a contender.  

I had no problem with Covey pitching last night.  In terms of options on the active roster, I'd prefer him over Detwiler or Santiago who 100% have no future with the White Sox.  Covey is like 99% chance he has no future, but still.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, to be fair, the pain has certainly not been short term.

I don't think the Sox should really be intentionally losing games at this point.  I do think finishing with a somewhat respectable record could potentially help with free agents who are picking between several teams and value being on a contender.  

I had no problem with Covey pitching last night.  In terms of options on the active roster, I'd prefer him over Detwiler or Santiago who 100% have no future with the White Sox.  Covey is like 99% chance he has no future, but still.  

They're better than Seattle, Detroit and KC. They should win most of those games. What's infuriating is losing series or getting swept by mediocrity like the Angels. However, this roster is a more extreme version of the 2015-16 teams there are stars(Moncada, Giolito) good players (Anderson, Colome, Bummer, Lopez in the 2nd half) and a lot of absolute crap. 

Just having competence at RF and DH this year would have probably been worth 10 extra wins over the course of the season. They've been that bad. Do you realize how bad those positions have to be to be worth -5 fWAR combined? Adam Dunn was worth -1.6 fWAR in 2011. Think about that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is the last year of the rebuild. In 2020 it's win or die trying. 

Really? I'll want to see it to believe it. I hope we're trying to win in 2020, but we'll see. It still might be 2021 with this organization. Jack I love your posts but I agree with Vile about winning. I want to win every day mainly because I love the Sox and I don't care about the draft frankly.

Pitching a guy like Covey was a slap in the fact to paying customers last night and a clear sign the Sox wanted to lose that game. Sad. Fans should get a refund.

Edited by greg775