Abreu

SCCWS

Jose has vaulted past Devers and opened up a lead in the AL  RBI race.  He has set a new career RBI record which he will keep adding to.  Combined with TA's AL leading BA, we have seen some outstanding individual offensive performances this season.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I’ve been most impressed by the increase to his OBP in the second half along with the power and hitting surge. He’s had a ton of walks and HBP in the past few weeks. The decrease in his OBP in the first half was a legitimate medium term concern, but it appears to be leveling out more in line with his career average. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

25 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

First half OPS: .838

Second half OPS: .842

He has had a hot couple weeks but I don't think he has been that different overall 

He's earned another year.  This multi year extension talk is crazy.  Especially for a guy that has said in so many ways he only wants to play for one team.

31 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

First half OPS: .838

Second half OPS: .842

He has had a hot couple weeks but I don't think he has been that different overall 

It's about 5 weeks he's been hot. It's more accurate to say he had a .773 OPS his first 104 games and he's been literally on fire with a 1.000+ OPS for the last 37.

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

It's about 5 weeks he's been hot. It's more accurate to say he had a .773 OPS his first 104 games and he's been literally on fire with a 1.000+ OPS for the last 37.

He always turns it on when the Sox are 20+ games out in September.  Maybe we'll finally put that theory about how he only hits when it doesn't matter to the test next year.

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

In other words, he started slowly in the 2nd half but then picked it up so that the production is consistent with his first half. Seems like normal fluctuations to me. Not a good or bad thing really 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He always turns it on when the Sox are 20+ games out in September.  Maybe we'll finally put that theory about how he only hits when it doesn't matter to the test next year.

Do you apply this logic to every other hitter on every other team too? Because at least half the teams are out of it in September. And there are several that are out of it nearly every year.

If Mike Trout turns it on every September, do those statistics not matter as much as his May statistics?

28 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Do you apply this logic to every other hitter on every other team too? Because at least half the teams are out of it in September. And there are several that are out of it nearly every year.

If Mike Trout turns it on every September, do those statistics not matter as much as his May statistics?

I don't even really believe it but I'm hoping to put it to the test next September when the Sox are in a pennant race and Jose is hotter than shit.

41 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

But you insist there is no such thing as clutch, or in other words pressure ABs.  BTW< his best month by far over his career is August. It's really easy to look up. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

But you insist there is no such thing as clutch, or in other words pressure ABs. 

There's way too many confounders to attribute his hot Septembers to a lack of pressure.  Mostly I think it's just hitting against scrubs from AL central also-rans most years.

Again, I"m mostly arguing a "Devil's Advocate" position here.  And to reiterate I hope he gets hotter than shit in a pennant race next year.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's way too many confounders to attribute his hot Septembers to a lack of pressure.  Mostly I think it's just hitting against scrubs from AL central also-rans most years.

Again, I"m mostly arguing a "Devil's Advocate" position here.  And to reiterate I hope he gets hotter than shit in a pennant race next year.

How do you explain his Augusts? 

image.png

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How do you explain his Augusts? 

image.png

Excellent chart. actually a model of steady production. Add in last years missed september and the all star break and he'd be in Bernie Madoff territory.

I know he's getting older, but better players tend to age better. He might be worth a 2-3 year extension. 

Edited by zisk
add

1 hour ago, zisk said:

Excellent chart. actually a model of steady production. Add in last years missed september and the all star break and he'd be in Bernie Madoff territory.

I know he's getting older, but better players tend to age better. He might be worth a 2-3 year extension. 

I have seen numerous posters  say we should go after JD Martinez. Same age and both a liabilty in the field.  JD has better numbers (in a better lineup )but Jose will be a good amount cheaper. 

2 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I have seen numerous posters  say we should go after JD Martinez. Same age and both a liabilty in the field.  JD has better numbers (in a better lineup )but Jose will be a good amount cheaper. 

I think people's interest in Martinez is in addition to Abreu.  Also being a liability at 1B isn't quite a bad as being a liability in RF, especially when paired with another liability in LF that is locked in.  

7 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

JDM is an Elite hitter.  We could have both Abreu and JDM since JDM is primarily DH.  He is a hitting and OBP machine.

5 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I'm glad a couple guys like greg hibbard are rebutting some of the statements about Jose with facts. I like it.

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He was hot early and earned an all star berth. He wasn't enough to carry some of the stiffs in our everyday lineup and in our everyday rotation. Anybody with sense IMO can say he did his part in helping this team contend. He's been basically good all year cept for what, that 2 weeks right after we fell out of contention? Maybe 3 weeks? I credit him for playing so well when the team has so few big games in the course of a season.