Could the White Sox hire Dave Dombrowski?

gusguyman

Passan is reporting that dealin Dave has been fired by the Red Sox. He's accomplished a ton with multiple teams, he seems like he'd be an asset for whatever team gets him. 

Probably a pipe dream as long as we have both Kenny and Rick, but Dombrowski actually started his career with the white sox (from 78-86). He was born and raised in Chicago. We have a young team that shoud be great very soon. If the Sox were interested, it seems like we would be an attractive landing place for him. 

19 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Passan is reporting that dealin Dave has been fired by the Red Sox. He's accomplished a ton with multiple teams, he seems like he'd be an asset for whatever team gets him. 

Probably a pipe dream as long as we have both Kenny and Rick, but Dombrowski actually started his career with the white sox (from 78-86). He was born and raised in Chicago. We have a young team that shoud be great very soon. If the Sox were interested, it seems like we would be an attractive landing place for him. 

Based on his deals with Boston, I'm not sure. As long as you put the reins on him trading te top 5 guys in the minors I'm fine with it. 

29 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Imagine the Price and Sale contracts happening here. Our franchise would be crippled for the next 3-5 years. Luckily for Red Sox fans, they're team spends and can probably get around it.

^^^^^

The Sox need to raid the Oakland, Tampa, Houston and St. Louis organizations. They have a good mix of small and mid market analytical minds. The Sox could use the small market mindset during downturns, and mid-market mindset after the foundation has been laid. The day of reckoning is coming over the next two offseasons for the Astros. Cole, Springer, and Correa are up after 2019 and 2020. Verlander will be 39 and up after 2021. Father time will get Verlander eventually, and it's already getting Altuve a bit(he's still really good, but past his peak) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Dombrowski would trade the future for the now.  Don't get impatient now.  Personally I think Hahn has done a great job building what looks like a powerhouse with just a few more key player added this offseason.

Can they actually pull off the player acquisitions they need to though? That is the $1M question. 

Living in New England for part of the season, I wouldn't want DD. He pulled the right strings last year and they won it all. But he went into this season with a limited bullpen and the when injuries hit their starters the pitching imploded. Again at the deadline he passed again on adding to their pen. Now maybe  management limited his spending but they did fire him so it would appear they also blamed him. There were rumors Cora was not happy they didn't get reinforcements.    

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Living in New England for part of the season, I wouldn't want DD. He pulled the right strings last year and they won it all. But he went into this season with a limited bullpen and the when injuries hit their starters the pitching imploded. Again at the deadline he passed again on adding to their pen. Now maybe  management limited his spending but they did fire him so it would appear they also blamed him. There were rumors Cora was not happy they didn't get reinforcements.    

These are the problems I can’t wait to have. Instead of the “defers getting good players to sign $40 mill grab bag of vets that provide negative value”.

I don’t think DD is the best president you can hire, but he’s certainly better than what we have.

Just to add to this a bit, I do not think DD would come here and replace Kenny or Hahn. 

But Im struggling to think of a team ready for him. Maybe Texas would fit if they are tired of Daniels.

Like maybe he’d be a splash hire for the royals?

So, I do think there is a possibility DD gets added as a special asst to the GM while he waits for his next gig.

Put it at like 8%.

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It was fantastic until that last miggy extension and letting Martinez and Sherzer go

I tend to think the Cabrera extension was coming from Illitch.

Scherzer going was bad but they tried to extend him and I remember so many on here pointing to scherzer as a major flameout candidate. He should have traded him though.

edit: jd martinez?

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I tend to think the Cabrera extension was coming from Illitch.

Scherzer going was bad but they tried to extend him and I remember so many on here pointing to scherzer as a major flameout candidate. He should have traded him though.

edit: jd martinez?

I forgot they traded JD, for some reason I thought he walked 

my feeling is Dombrowski is a GM that gets you from point B (playoff contender) to point A (title contender).   Sox currently at point D-C 😬

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I forgot they traded JD, for some reason I thought he walked 

my feeling is Dombrowski is a GM that gets you from point B (playoff contender) to point A (title contender).   Sox currently at point D-C 😬

Yeah I mean they aren't so far off. That Cherington bad year was clearly an anomoly and he walked into a sweet situation. Detroit he did more and made some really excellent moves, they were a bit like the nats though in that it was not clear what they were missing in being more successful. It likely was just depth.

And I don't think he's the good fit for the sox mainly due to what he'd have for spending - but maybe DD is much better at pulling the purse strings with owners? I think operationally he'd actually get things in much better shape despite not having a rep as progressive.

But yeah, this is fantasyland - but I do think there is a reasonable chance he goes to reinsdorf for a job and reinsdorf, a la with dave duncan or doug collins, says sure hey Rick make a new place for Dave here.

54 minutes ago, bmags said:

These are the problems I can’t wait to have. Instead of the “defers getting good players to sign $40 mill grab bag of vets that provide negative value”.

I don’t think DD is the best president you can hire, but he’s certainly better than what we have.

Let Boston take Hahn and have JR sign DD.

Didn't Dombrowski start here? If he left the org once, he's probably not coming back.

That's already ignoring that JR doesn't pay a premium for executives/management.

If no one wants his services, he'll probably retire. He's been around forever and has already been extremely successful.

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Can they actually pull off the player acquisitions they need to though? That is the $1M question. 

Exactly right.  Getting the players you need is not like going grocery shopping---just go down the aisles and grab a SP, RP, RF, DH, C, whatever you need.  Especially in the Sox case, where 8-10 players off the 25 man roster will need to be replaced.

1 hour ago, daggins said:

Didn't Dombrowski start here? If he left the org once, he's probably not coming back.

That's already ignoring that JR doesn't pay a premium for executives/management.

If no one wants his services, he'll probably retire. He's been around forever and has already been extremely successful.

Yes, he was around during the LaRussa years. Ironically DD hired Tony as a special assistant in Boston.Not sure his job will survive now that DD is gone. 

Edited by SCCWS