Could the White Sox hire Dave Dombrowski?

gusguyman

2 hours ago, daggins said:

Didn't Dombrowski start here? If he left the org once, he's probably not coming back.

That's already ignoring that JR doesn't pay a premium for executives/management.

If no one wants his services, he'll probably retire. He's been around forever and has already been extremely successful.

Yes he did. He was fired by the Hawk. 

31 minutes ago, pcq said:

Sounds like he was held liable for over-spending on injured veterans esp pitching. Tough business. There would be no spot for him here unless the decks were cleared. He would not be Kenny's special asst.

Ben Cherington and Alex Anthropoulos have both taken special asst. jobs while they waited for an opportunity.

This team has like 14 special asst to the GM. There is no limit to the amount of special assistants so long as Jerry likes them.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, gusguyman said:

Passan is reporting that dealin Dave has been fired by the Red Sox. He's accomplished a ton with multiple teams, he seems like he'd be an asset for whatever team gets him. 

Probably a pipe dream as long as we have both Kenny and Rick, but Dombrowski actually started his career with the white sox (from 78-86). He was born and raised in Chicago. We have a young team that shoud be great very soon. If the Sox were interested, it seems like we would be an attractive landing place for him. 

No. Dave signs burned out veterans to crazy deals and strips the farm. Plus he ain't into analytics. 

3 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Dave Dombrowski would be an upgrade over what we have now.  The guy knows how to put out a winning club and it's not like we have a farm system he could destroy.  After Vaughn/Kopech* are up it gets pretty barren in terms of high ceiling guys.

No thanks.  When Dombrowski leaves a club there is nothing left.  He is a win now guy but the Sox are being built for years of stability.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes he did. He was fired by the Hawk. 

Yes, and Jerry Reinsdorf continued Dombrowksi on the White Sox benefit plan until Dombrowski found another job. So Dombrowski left on good terms as far as Reinsdorf was concerned.

I know Dombrowksi has his negative side, but he has a good baseball mind. But it is unlikely he would want to come back for several reasons. And the White Sox, even with past good feelings, probably wouldn't want him back.  Regardless, I'd like to see him return to the White Sox. I think he is a good baseball man.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Ben Cherington and Alex Anthropoulos have both taken special asst. jobs while they waited for an opportunity.

This team has like 14 special asst to the GM. There is no limit to the amount of special assistants so long as Jerry likes them.

So a top gm winner of last year's trophy and top pay-scale is going to be Kenny's special assistant. I get your drift but do not see that happening in Soxorg.  Dave might be in gm emeritus mode at this point. 

Dombrowski on the South Side of Chicago whether you like him or not is a moot point.

The present owner will have to pay him big bucks, bestow the title of president of baseball operations (which means a complete and total cultural change) and most certainly raising the payroll commiserate with other big market players.

Ain't none of the above happening.

It will be interesting where he lands.

Out West is my guess.

He and Maddon might hook up somewhere after the Cubs get rid of him.

If my calculations are correct the Cubs lovable should be working on their FOURTH straight world series championship. 

Things are not quite working out.

It's borders on mortal sin to even contemplate it, but St. Theo may be on the hot seat.

Tuning into the Cubs dynasty on their new cable access station was going to be all the rage. The Ricketts may have to rethink that.

The next World Series in Chicago (whenever and however that happens) will be played at G-Rate Field.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

Unless KW is told to retire and becomes a White Sox ambassador, I doubt this is even considered.

I would like to see Dombo with Hahn as the new management team that takes the team to the next level with some free agent signings.

13 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Doesn't always result in a World Series, just ask Detroit.  They are just staring at the Miggy contract like a slow countdown to freedom 

I love that, but you know the guy was trying to go all out to win one . It didn't work out in MoTown but maybe a big contract or two helps the Sox over the top.

Maybe it doesn't. We just don't know.

Chris Sale and a few other guys sunk Dombrowski. Sale sucked (compared to what he was expected to do) this season.

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Unless KW is told to retire and becomes a White Sox ambassador, I doubt this is even considered.

I would like to see Dombo with Hahn as the new management team that takes the team to the next level with some free agent signings.

I love that, but you know the guy was trying to go all out to win one . It didn't work out in MoTown but maybe a big contract or two helps the Sox over the top.

Maybe it doesn't. We just don't know.

Chris Sale and a few other guys sunk Dombrowski. Sale sucked (compared to what he was expected to do) this season.

Chairman Reinsdorf and I see eye to eye on very little. But he was absolutely spot on about Sale's coming breakdown. I believed it too. Horrid timing for Dombrowski.

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^^^

The Sox need to raid the Oakland, Tampa, Houston and St. Louis organizations. They have a good mix of small and mid market analytical minds. The Sox could use the small market mindset during downturns, and mid-market mindset after the foundation has been laid. The day of reckoning is coming over the next two offseasons for the Astros. Cole, Springer, and Correa are up after 2019 and 2020. Verlander will be 39 and up after 2021. Father time will get Verlander eventually, and it's already getting Altuve a bit(he's still really good, but past his peak) 

THIS

Guess we don't have to worry about another player going into the HoF wearing a Red Sox hat despite spending more of his career with the White Sox.

DD would never come to Chicago unless they were opening up the purse strings.  

But at least we'd finally get a GM who wasn't completely risk-averse and wasn't just sitting on top of all the organizational depth in the outfield, but actually pursuing some creative trade avenues of acquiring additional talent for the rotation/bullpen.

46 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Guess we don't have to worry about another player going into the HoF wearing a Red Sox hat despite spending more of his career with the White Sox.

DD would never come to Chicago unless they were opening up the purse strings.  

But at least we'd finally get a GM who wasn't completely risk-averse and wasn't just sitting on top of all the organizational depth in the outfield, but actually pursuing some creative trade avenues of acquiring additional talent for the rotation/bullpen.

Easy to be willing to take risk when it isn't your money.  Dombrowski get's short term gain with long term consequence.  No thanks.

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Even with 5 more #1 picks the Tigers outlook isn‘t great, their major league roster and upper minors are just ugly.

How much do we blame on DD, how much on Ilitch's free spending ways?

In reality, the Tigers were a relevant team as long as they had a motivated Verlander...the trade to Houston and especially the owner's death really killed that franchise, moreso than DD.

I mean, he kept Detroit in the forefront of the AL for nearly a decade, including two World Series appearances and countless trips to the playoffs.

Let's see what they get out of Franklin Perez, Jake Rogers and Daz Cameron as well.

I wouldn’t want DD leading my team’s baseball ops dept if I were an owner. His willingness to trade top prospects and his reluctance to analytics would eliminate him from consideration but he would still be someone that I’d want contributing to team in some way, I’d still want his opinions on players and free agents. 

He may very well feel that being a special assistant is beneath him. 

6 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I wouldn’t want DD leading my team’s baseball ops dept if I were an owner. His willingness to trade top prospects and his reluctance to analytics would eliminate him from consideration but he would still be someone that I’d want contributing to team in some way, I’d still want his opinions on players and free agents.

Wait... what?