Badler 2020 J2 Preview

bmags

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Slow burn was hearing the rumors in february when they "shouldn't" have had money left at that point, then seeing we weren't really tied to anyone, and still just hoping that was false, then getting to J2 and only signing a fairly small class with 2.1 going to yolbert, and then finally trading the rest of the space.

Just a series of things confirming that though on its face the new CBA seemed to align international to the way the sox like to operate (fixed costs), in reality they will not be able to compete with other clubs because they don't care enough about it to set up the infrastructure and relationships to compete.

I will say international is very skeezy and should be reformed, so advocating 10 year olds to leave home to hope to sign by 14 with your club is gross but I don't like them restricting themselves.

Ok so if I am reading this correctly the burn was because it was business as usual for the Sox when you hoped it might be different once they got out of the penalty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 11:15 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've been harping on these things in PHT and scoffing at the idea of sustained success for all the things I've multi-quoted. The HS and college player draft just does not add enough talent. There is no reason to keep living in the dark ages with this when guys like Acuna, Soto , Tatis, Jr. and others on contending teams provide cheap young talent, Sure the talent might take 5+ years to develop which is even more of a reason to start using those resources the right way now.not just on LatAm talent but Japanese, Korean ,Taiwanese or even European also. It's an international game and it's well past time the Sox took it seriously .

It’s interesting you pick those 3 as examples because while they were international prospects none of them appeared at the top of these types of lists in their respective years.  Soto and Tatis were near the bottom of their top 30 and Acuna was outside of it.

23 minutes ago, QuickJones81 said:

It’s interesting you pick those 3 as examples because while they were international prospects none of them appeared at the top of these types of lists in their respective years.  Soto and Tatis were near the bottom of their top 30 and Acuna was outside of it.

Yeah, if you actually look at the value of these things it typically falls further back. The big money guys dont have the greatest value rate attached to them.

1 hour ago, QuickJones81 said:

If sox were truly making a quantity play that would be interesting. But from what I can gather easily that hasn't been the case. This isn't the total picture, but just using signings trackers (heavily tilted toward day 1 signings)

- 2019 they were 26 out of 30 teams in total signings.

- In 2018 they were bottom 5 (yes, they were under penalty)

- In 2017 they were bottom 4 (yes they were under penalty)

- In 2016 they were bottom 10 (above several teams in total penalty)

- In 2015 they signed 4 players, but there are no team by team lists. I'd imagine that's not top 10.

2015 was the year they had at least a few end-of-the-bottom 30 players and at the time Paddy said that's more his style. Since then we have gotten the big ticket item in Robert, and whatever you'd consider Sanchez.

Despite the penalty, others were still able to get players in top 30 for 300k and under.

15 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I wonder if JR is ignoring this because he believes a draft will be in place sooner rather than later. 

As one of the league’s primary driving forces in colluding to drive player earnings down, he would certainly be in a position to know. 

Worse - setting up the sox in position so that they can claim grievance against system in order to rally owners to a draft.

The Sox are such a player development factory they don't need to spend on J2 players anyway.

The draft (which is a non issue now, obviously) & international free agency are where teams receive the largest returns on their investment. You'd think an owner that's as cheap as Reinsdorf would rather spend there than significantly more $ on mediocrity at the big league level.