wilbur wood redux

zisk

Was wondering with all the high school and college and MLB pitchers with bad arms, if it 's time to look at knuckle ballers again. Seems to me if

guys with sub 5.00 era's who can take the ball every 5 days have value, then Wilbur Wood's salary would be about 40 million a year. Do players even mess around with this pitch any more?

Last one  i remember is Tom Candiotti.

12 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

Makes sense to give it a try. The only obvious problem is their propensity to give up homers with this juiced ball they use today.

And catchers can't catch them. Wakefield was probably the last of the big time knuckleball pitchers. He started. He closed. You would think with everyone having to be prepared to hit 95-100 gas, someone thowing about 65 and dancing would be effective. Think about how a closer throwing 100 would look after 2 or 3 looks at a knuckler. 

6 hours ago, zisk said:

Was wondering with all the high school and college and MLB pitchers with bad arms, if it 's time to look at knuckle ballers again. Seems to me if

guys with sub 5.00 era's who can take the ball every 5 days have value, then Wilbur Wood's salary would be about 40 million a year. Do players even mess around with this pitch any more?

Maybe it's bad mechanics.  It seems like every hard throwing pitcher is treated like glass these days.  Throwing hard and learning how to pitch seem distant.  Mark B. never had a fastball that could blow by hitters but he knew how to get people out.

It's nice to see a 98mph fastball on a radar gun but if there is nothing on it there are plenty of ML hitters who make it leave just as quick.  You can get away with it on the minors but in the big leagues you are facing guys who make enough money to have their bats custom made.

7 hours ago, zisk said:

Wakefield

10 hours ago, zisk said:

Wilbur and Hoyt would be something in todays game.  Some of the big hitters would throw their backs out chasing their flutter balls.