JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The EE contract makes sense but that's essentially his current deal. So, will be interesting to see what he does.

Edwin Encarnacion hasn't had a wRC+ as high as JD has this year since 2015. EE is 4 years older. He hasn't had a WAR as high as JD's this year since 2016.

EE is no where near the hitter that JD Martinez is. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Edwin Encarnacion hasn't had a wRC+ as high as JD has this year since 2015. EE is 4 years older. He hasn't had a WAR as high as JD's this year since 2016.

EE is no where near the hitter that JD Martinez is. 

Do you understand how time works?

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

C               1B        2B             SS               3B          LF       CF     RF   DH

McCann-Abreu-Madrigal-Anderson-Moncada-Eloy-Robert-JD-Collins 

Collins-Abreu-Madrigal-Anderson-Moncada-Eloy-Robert-Leury-JD

McCann-Collins-Madrigal-Anderson-Moncada-Eloy-JD-Abreu

You could basically use the DH to rotate JD,Abreu and Collins through.  

Collins will essentially be the back up C & 1B so it would be tough to DH him unless we keep a 3rd catcher which could be Mercedes who can play C/1B & some 3B in a pinch

Your bench is basically Collins, Garcia, Mendick, Mercedes

A lot of options for the line up, I think signing Martinez gives us enough offense to compete, we just need another SP and a couple bullpen guys.

Edited by BigHurt3515

50 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why do Sox fans all put Tim Anderson 8th and 9th in the lineup ha?

Good hitter but I think he will be a .280 yo .300 hitter moving forward. There is nothing wrong with having dangerous hitters batting 8th or 9th. This would mean every inning has a potential for rallies and more runs to drive in for our 3 and 4 hitter. 

19 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I think he will want at least 1 more year tagged on as well. 

There should be enough suitors willing to go 3 years on him, so I don't see him accepting less than 4 years with at least a 25 MM AAV. 

That's fine, as some of our core guys deals expire in 2023. A bump in pay can be offset by expering deals. 

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Do you understand how time works?

Time? 

EE signed his contract after his good 2016, but at the time he was 33 years old, and his previous 3 seasons were not as good as JD's. 

Jd is 5.5 years younger, meaning at the time he signs his next 3 or 4 year deal he'll be 1.5 years younger than Edwin when he signed his deal.

So to recap, JD is younger/will be younger and has been better for an extended period of time. 

Nice snarky response though. 

I would be totally fine with the Sox giving JD Martinez 5/100 right now. He's a multiplier. He's a great hitter and makes other hitters better. I just want him around all the Sox younger hitters on a consistent basis. The contract would pay for itself. I was very impressed with Martinez after reading Astroball and The MVP machine. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Time? 

EE signed his contract after his good 2016, but at the time he was 33 years old, and his previous 3 seasons were not as good as JD's. 

Jd is 5.5 years younger, meaning at the time he signs his next 3 or 4 year deal he'll be 1.5 years younger than Edwin when he signed his deal.

So to recap, JD is younger/will be younger and has been better for an extended period of time. 

Nice snarky response though. 

Uh, sure, your post was clearly acting as if it was comparing what EE will make on the market next year to JD and not the contract he already signed. (also you claimed he was 4 years younger and now writing he's 5.5 years younger as if it was obvious the point you were making by listing the current age difference).

At the time it seemed EE took a discount to be a contender, but it has shown to be a durable ceiling on no-position sluggers post chris davis. There wasn't a more consistent hitter than EE for years being around 150 wRC+, then suddenly dipping to 135. 

JD Martinez ballooned last two years and then dips this year to a still nice 140 wRC+. He would not opt out if it wasn't likely to exceed his current 3/62 (hey, that looks familiar?! but he was young and a good hitter?), but it's not certain to what level GMs will be more comfortable with - higher AAV/shorter deal or a lengthier contract.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Uh, sure, your post was clearly acting as if it was comparing what EE will make on the market next year to JD and not the contract he already signed. (also you claimed he was 4 years younger and now writing he's 5.5 years younger as if it was obvious the point you were making by listing the current age difference).

At the time it seemed EE took a discount to be a contender, but it has shown to be a durable ceiling on no-position sluggers post chris davis. There wasn't a more consistent hitter than EE for years being around 150 wRC+, then suddenly dipping to 135. 

JD Martinez ballooned last two years and then dips this year to a still nice 140 wRC+. He would not opt out if it wasn't likely to exceed his current 3/62 (hey, that looks familiar?! but he was young and a good hitter?), but it's not certain to what level GMs will be more comfortable with - higher AAV/shorter deal or a lengthier contract.

Well no, it was comparing what Edwin signed for on his last deal to JD - which, once again, are not really comparable since JD was a superior player the three years prior to signing... and contracts grow over time, they don't really stay stagnant, even if theyve grown slower.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

So he's opting out of 3/$73,450,000.

What do you offer him? An even 3/$90,000,000?

I believe he has 3/$62.45M remaining on his deal.

Seems to be he'd be hard pressed to beat that by more than $10M at most.  Seems risky.  Unless he wants out of Boston.  

5 minutes ago, scs787 said:

For me it depends on how wide Jerry opens his wallet. If I had to choose between JD and Cole I'd go with Cole..... They SHOULD be able to swing both though. I'd love to see him go crazy and sign those 2 anddd Betances andddd a guy like Dickerson. 

They arent signing Gerrit Cole. 

• Thanks 1

That being said, I would absolutely take Martinez.  It just scares me that the Sox would plug him into RF WAYYYYYYY more than he should be out there.  He also doesn't solve the issue of this lineup being VERY right handed heavy, but he's a very good stick so you make it work.

Would make finding a LH RF even more important than it already is.  I probably prefer something like Ozuna + Grandal to Martinez + Calhoun, but we'll see how things shake out, but both would be pretty good scenarios.  As someone else mentioned though, assuming Abreu sticks around which seems highly likely, that pretty much makes Collins the backup C.  

Edited by ChiSox59

• Tony locked this topic
  • knightni unlocked this topic